But those things are for normal/NT people!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2012, 5:14 am

Have any of you come across this: In my life, I have been told that groups like Toastmasters or going to a dance class or acting could be of help to me. But then I was told by the best psychiatrist in town that "those things are not for people with a mental illness or "on the spectrum". They could be harmful". Unfortunately, I believed this for a long time and look where my life is. On the other hand, I know such programs were made for "normal people" and before anyone knew of "the spectrum". That is, have you taken classes for normal people and have ever been "harmed". I guess maybe not if you are schizophrenic or something like that but what about "on the spectrum"?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 5:27 am

sounds like bullcrock to me, of course there are ways to be hindered that would make such things almost impossible with possible harmfull effect as a consequence, but it will be so individual a thing that there are no way anyone but you can even hazard a guess.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2012, 7:33 am

You don't need to worry about whether things are "for autistic people" or "for neurotypical people". People are individuals. All you need to be concerned about is whether they are suitable for you.

This will mean doing your own research about whatever it is, perhaps attending once, in order to ascertain whether the activity is a good match for your personality, preferences and abilities,, including your autistic traits, or not.

Only you can say for sure whether something is of benefit to you or not.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 8:11 am

I would hastily disagree that the Psychiatrist who told you that is "the best in town." Unless you live in a very small community.

What he told you is complete rubbish.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 8:14 am

I was in Toastmasters for a year or two and it was fantastic! My speaking skills rapidly accelerated and I cannot praise them enough and I also met a large number of great people. Furthermore, one of the major participants is quite open about his Autism and he obviously isn't having too many problems.

YellowBirch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2012, 8:47 am

I went to Toastmasters to help with small talk. The group I joined used the "Table Topics" session to good use and this helped me immensely with being able to talk "off the cuff". In addition I learned things such as how to behave in a formal meeting session, how to give and receive criticism and how to tactfully evaluate others. I learned how to organize my thoughts better and how to prepare to give a formal presentation.

Let's see - turn taking, getting a long with others, making small talk on a mutually relevant topic, learning how to present yourself for effective presentations, using your body to convey an idea and generally getting along socially. Tell me how this shrink thinks any of this is a bad idea for anybody?

The more I see, the more I believe these so-called experts are more concerned about how they're going to make money off of us and less about how to actually help us.

Get a new shrink!

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 11:49 am

Jinks wrote:
You don't need to worry about whether things are "for autistic people" or "for neurotypical people". People are individuals. All you need to be concerned about is whether they are suitable for you.

This will mean doing your own research about whatever it is, perhaps attending once, in order to ascertain whether the activity is a good match for your personality, preferences and abilities,, including your autistic traits, or not.

Only you can say for sure whether something is of benefit to you or not.

+1

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

My friend from my ASD support group did toastmasters and she really liked it....it was a good experience for her (she has AS).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm

I have taken drama classes, and I could see them being helpful. There is one problem, that many of the stuff they're teaching may be 'too difficult for an autistic person (assuming certain equisting abilities that the AS participant doesn't have). But if that's the case, it's not like it causes any permanent harm, just may be somewhat stressful while you're participating. I don't see any reason why an AS person (or even someone with schizophrenia or something) should be advised against even trying social skills stuff aimed at NTs.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

Psychiatrists see autistics as naturally clumsy so enrolling them in dance classes would be seen as a violation of the Hippocratic oath because it would be considered a false hope. The establishment has set up ret*d special education schools for autistics so they can learn the basics. Autistics often try to bypass the basics and may want to learn advanced dancing techniques and that drives neurotypicals crazy.

This is not to say that special education is not needed but special education is only successful if it would attract neurotypicals to want to enroll. The special education schools are starting to do this by offering rock climbing classes but unfortunately a student was killed. But neurotypical kids also die in gladiator football games.

themoplady
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

The advice I received was actually the opposite. That I should keep enrolling myself in things, even if it ends badly, because the experience of being around people in multiple environments would be very beneficial to me and my social skills. The psychiatrist was right. A year ago, after many years of isolation, I played around with different things until I found my "niche" (archery). I used to be afraid of small talk and now I am far more comfortable talking with strangers.

I'm still a little too shy to join a dance class :oops:

But yeah the whole thing is rubbish. One of the best dancers I know has high functioning autism.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 5:49 pm

Seems like they would only be harmful if you were be FORCED to do it unwillingly, not if you WANT to do it. Odd....not all doctors should probably have a degree......

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 6:47 pm

BobinPgh wrote:
Have any of you come across this: In my life, I have been told that groups like Toastmasters or going to a dance class or acting could be of help to me. But then I was told by the best psychiatrist in town that "those things are not for people with a mental illness or "on the spectrum". They could be harmful". Unfortunately, I believed this for a long time and look where my life is. On the other hand, I know such programs were made for "normal people" and before anyone knew of "the spectrum". That is, have you taken classes for normal people and have ever been "harmed". I guess maybe not if you are schizophrenic or something like that but what about "on the spectrum"?
the only way for someone with mental illness to grow is to put his/herself into uncomfortable model type settings where they can learn. The brain is adaptive and plastic. Going to a toastmasters meeting is a great way to overcome your mental illness that psychologist is an idiot. With his logic that is like saying that toastmasters isnt for AS or NT people, just for seasoned toasters!

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 6:51 pm

I took acting classes. I was the main character in a play. It was fun and not difficult at all, but that is probably because I am kind of... "disconnected" from reality.

Anyway, if you want to try something, go ahead. The only way of knowing if it is for you or not is by trying.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

I think those things are very beneficial to people on the spectrum. I've taken acting classes since Grade 3 and it has certainly helped me learn to communicate with others. If you want to do something, you should be able to do it. Simple. Your psychiatrist should encourage you do try new things like that. In my opinion, Aspies may often benefit from acting and dance IF they agree to it.
I would say try it. If you don't like it, you can quit, but at least you'll know.