Page 9 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Should states be allowed to withdraw from the union if a majority of the state's population agrees?
Yes! 45%  45%  [ 24 ]
No! 21%  21%  [ 11 ]
Oh look, SHEEP! 34%  34%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 53

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
You mean like the partial quotes like the last time where you guys were claiming Glenn Beck was advocating that people should shoot liberals in the head, when the full video demonstrated that wasn't even remotely what he was saying....

Here is the full text.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2011/01/2 ... the/175432

Nothing lifted out of context.
Good God. That man needs to get back on his meds. Talk about paranoia. And apparently it's contagious. He says nothing of substance, but says it with such passion that people actually listen. I have relatives who deify him, and they've become just as foam-at-the-mouth about Obama as he is. What really gets me is that I don't think of Obama as progressive at all. I think he's a centrist. So centrist that he's almost a Republican. Still a better choice, IMO, than the rich guy who wanted to unwind women's rights.

What's up with the swastika behind him?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I fail to see how you can get around the quotes provided by media matters. Stuff like Michele Malkin calling the President "the thug -in - chief," or the ugly things said about the First Lady are indefensible, even if they were - as you claim - taken out of context.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

The First Amendment lives!

ruveyn

Oh, I'd never argue that they don't have the right to say it. I'll argue all day that it destroys their credibility and puts a stain across the entire network.

You will reap what you've sown.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 6:42 pm

abacacus wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I fail to see how you can get around the quotes provided by media matters. Stuff like Michele Malkin calling the President "the thug -in - chief," or the ugly things said about the First Lady are indefensible, even if they were - as you claim - taken out of context.

The First Amendment lives!

ruveyn

Oh, I'd never argue that they don't have the right to say it. I'll argue all day that it destroys their credibility and puts a stain across the entire network.

Their credibility is already ruined with sane people.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:05 pm

As much as the whole Civil War thing is ingrained in me, I'm very much against this. It's a huge threat to national security. Plus, I wouldn't get to wear a hoop skirt, so no.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

If they remain on the air it means their rating are sufficiently high. Some people like that kind of rough talk.

ruveyn

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:40 pm

I think seceding is a stupid idea regardless of what a majority thinks, because it would leave the US fragmented and vulnerable. All these period costume wearing morons like to think of their selves as the legacy of the founding fathers, but the truth is, if the colonies didn't unite, we wouldn't have won the Revolutionary War. My allegiance is to the United States of America and the ideals of freedom, republicanism, justice, and equality, which were supposed to have united people of different backgrounds under a new national identity. Its not to the Un-united States of America.

I think the real people that should be interrogated as being communist subversives aren't centrist Democrats, but rather these right wing secessionist types. For all we know, they're secretly party members trying to make America vulnerable to foreign invasion through fragmentation. I don't really believe this, but, hey, I have as much a right to talk out my ass as they do.

Last edited by JNathanK on 24 Nov 2012, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:46 pm

JNathanK wrote:
I think seceding is a stupid idea regardless of what a majority thinks, because it would leave the US fragmented and vulnerable. All these period costume wearing morons like to think of their selves as the legacy of the founding fathers, but the truth is, if the colonies didn't unite, we wouldn't have won the Revolutionary War.

I agree. Secession will destroy the United States surer and quicker than just about anything else.

ruveyn

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:57 pm

I think a lot of this secessionist crap wouldn't be as big as it is if we had a more white president too. I don't really buy the idea that state government is less corrupt than Federal government either. My experience of living in Arizona has shown me otherwise.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

If they remain on the air it means their rating are sufficiently high. Some people like that kind of rough talk.

ruveyn

There are many dumb and bigoted people. But are their numbers good for America?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 9:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

There are many dumb and bigoted people. But are their numbers good for America?

That question does not admit a clear factual answer. All I can offer is an opinion which is really just hot air. And that is all you have to offer too.

If the U.S. could survive the Know Nothings it can put up with people who like to hear reactionary clap trap on the radio or t.v.

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm

The secession petitions are a form of protest for most.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 10:14 pm

John_Browning wrote:
The secession petitions are a form of protest for most.

... sorta like boiling your draft card...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 12:31 am

ruveyn wrote:
JNathanK wrote:
I think seceding is a stupid idea regardless of what a majority thinks, because it would leave the US fragmented and vulnerable. All these period costume wearing morons like to think of their selves as the legacy of the founding fathers, but the truth is, if the colonies didn't unite, we wouldn't have won the Revolutionary War.

I agree. Secession will destroy the United States surer and quicker than just about anything else.

ruveyn

I am compelled to point out nuclear war as a competitor for the 'fastest destruction of the USA' slot, but other than that I agree. It was true in Lincoln's day and it's true now.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Nov 2012, 12:47 am

If a state wanted to succeed then why shouldn't they? We encourage self determination overseas, why not at home? If a state cannot freely leave the union then it is slavery.

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Nov 2012, 12:52 am

Jacoby wrote:
If a state wanted to succeed then why shouldn't they? We encourage self determination overseas, why not at home? If a state cannot freely leave the union then it is slavery.

You know what? You're the person I've noticed I always agree with, out of everybody. High five! It seems we're on a roll right now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 2:40 am

Seabass wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

You know what? You're the person I've noticed I always agree with, out of everybody. High five! It seems we're on a roll right now.

You might have made that argument under the Articles of Confederation, but we now live under the Constitution, which in fact centralizes much more power at the federal level. States can not just leave the Union if they feel like it.
And as for the charge that having to stay against your will in the Union is akin to slavery is outrageous, as the preservation of slavery had been the reason for the last attempt at secession.
Lastly, there are no conditions so bad that are leveled at any state today that would justify seceding from the country. And having lost a presidential election certainly doesn't count.