Any other AS / Autistics work with children?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm

So yeah, the title pretty much sums it up, I'm interested to see how common or uncommon this is.

About myself: I'm a 20 year old British male who's currently in the final year of my degree, biological sciences at the University of Exeter. I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and Dyspraxia when I was about 9 or 10. I used to love science and I'm still fascinated by it but somewhere along the line on my course I realised a career in it wasn't for me.

For the last couple of years I've been volunteering weekly at an after-school arts club for 5 to 8 year olds and have had a great time. The experience from this managed to land me a job with one of these Camp America type programs in the states looking after mainly 7 to 8 year olds (with a 4 and 6 year old too) and again I loved the job, so much that I actually dreaded my days off. I connect and identify with young children far better than I do with other adults: the kids adored me, my co-workers perhaps not so much.

The upshot of this is that I'm thinking of applying to train as a primary school teacher, however there's still a couple of issues niggling in my mind. One is that (at-least in the UK) the vast majority of those teaching under 10's are female and not only being a male but generally a masculine male, I'm not sure how potential employers will receive me. Secondly, whilst my Asperger's is relatively mild, it's still clear to anyone who spends a modicum of time with me that I'm not NT and so I'm worried that people might assume "kinda strange + wants to work with kids = potential sex offender". Thirdly I'm not sure how upfront I should be about my AS, I kept quiet about it for my camp job but in a perfect world I'd love to be open about it, again though I'm worried that disclosing it might lead to assumptions about me not being fit for the job.

So, anyone-else have any experiences they want to share, or simply advice or reassurance?

Thanks for reading,

Jojo

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

Hi there,

I read your post. Yes, I work with children too, though in a library, and not with children all the time. I am hard pressed though, to say that I would recommend library work for Aspies, due to the social nature of libraries, though it of course depends on the library you are in.

Anyway, don't disclose your Aspie nature during the interview, at least for your first job. Be your naturally enthusiastic self, and get interview coaching. Take it from me, you have a big big favour knowing about your Aspie nature while in university, so that you can figure it out how Asperger's will affect your future career before you graduate. I wish that I had known!
I had an incorrect diagnosis ...

Anyways... if you are concerned about being a teacher, why not try researching other careers that would involve children, but not involve being around them 24/7?

That being said, if you are not in managment, disclosure might work after an interview if it is kept positive and proactive. And you don't have to state your label either.

Yes, there are other Aspies that work with kids!! !

If I were you, I would get some assistance on finding ways to connect with the others, and with parents/other adults. While it is not AS essential, it makes life a whole lot easier. Take it from one who has done it the hard way, completely by accident.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 6:47 am

i work with kids aged 10-13 i teach spoken english in a slum area NGO
i find it relaxing to work with kids but i dont find it comfortable working in a school
where i would be fulltime teacher
since there is lot of pressure in that atmosphere there is paper correction,
setting exam papers, dealing with parents complaints, students result should improve
teaching them extracurricular things like dance etc for school programmes
overall.....i feel it would be very taxing

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2012, 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies Managertina and Namaste, there's definitely some issues to chew over here. I've no idea how I'd come over in an interview since out of the two jobs I've had, one I managed to get through family connections and the other by phone interview, so no face-to-face ones yet.

As in regards for the job itself, the amount of time exposed to the children themselves isn't really a problem, heck as a camp counselor I was living with children full time for about almost two months and it was some of the happiest days of my life. As you addressed in the latter part of your post Managertina, what I'm more concerned about is the relationship with my adult co-workers. I can feign some basic small talk initially but I tend to have trouble remembering who people are and so this often becomes problematic when I've been at a place (whether it be a job, studying, club) a short while and I can't remember a single thing about a person, not even their name, it makes conversation difficult. I don't tend to share many interests with the average person either, which doesn't help. I dunno, this has definitely has been food for thought, I'll have to work harder at building proper connections with others.

Anyway thanks again for the advice.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 1:20 am

Hey there,

Is this helpful?

I have a hard time remembering what people look like. And now, cuz my job also revolves around remembering people, I have to take down copious notes about them. So, after you have conversations, when you have a moment, write down something like "Laura, brown hair, tall, really likes to play beach volleyball." Or whatever you can remember. I process everything verbally, so that works best for me. If you are more visual, maybe a few visual symbols would work best.

I am in the process of trying to create good connections with the coworker. It is not easy though. A thing that I did last year that helped was, as Christmas approached for the first year, due to my notes that I had taken, I sent everyone a really nice card saying how glad I was that they had helped me with x, or had been there for me at y time. They went over well. I could hear people in the next room commenting on them.

Honestly, if there is anything more I can answer, please let me know. I have gone through some real challenges to get to where I have gotten now. And want what I have gone through to have some meaning to spare someone else.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 1:23 am

Hope that they have those in the UK. I was commented on many times on my mannerisms and gestures.

Family, friends, professionals, everyone took their time to give me feedback.

I also emailed people who had interviewed me for real jobs for feedback when I did not get the job. Those who did get back to me and schedule a phone call actually gave me solid advice. I would really recommend doing that. It shows that you really have tenacity and desire to get a head, and may stand you in good stead for your next application with that company.