Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:31 pm

"As a mother of three children who have been diagnosed with ASD, Leah Dubé navigates a landscape familiar to most parents of special-needs kids, a maze of doctors, special educators, and social service providers.

As a mother recently diagnosed with ASD herself, however, Dubé is in uncharted territory. That much was clear one minute and 54 seconds into our first conversation, when she casually lobbed a grenade into the midst of everything the autism community holds dear":
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/128 ... sing-girls

http://www.autscape.org/

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:12 am

Very on mark. Thanks for posting.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

thnx for posting!

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

being mom to special needs kids and being ASD is

FREAKING HARD

I'd like to know too

Reclusive A
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2016, 1:42 pm

The last thing anyone would say is that I was a cold mother. I'm very affectionate with my children. That said, I don't want to be touched by anyone else, except them or my husband. With people I'm attached to I'm very warm. Interesting too, is that I was a vet tech myself but felt bad for the people losing their animals, because I'd been through it. I relate better to animals and always have. People I've become friends with usually had to spend a lot of time with me first, (co-workers, people that boarded horses with mine) to get that I mean well and want to get to know me. My 3 kids are autistic and highly empathetic like me, but not unless we first understand that a person is upset. There are no services for someone like me here in the Beehive State. Plus, in all the states in US I've lived in, this is absolutely the most intolerant for anyone who's different. Social services have investigated women just for being autistic and having kids. I don't dare ask them for help. And if you need to leave an abusive marriage? Count on losing custody of your kids if you have an ASD diagnosis.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2016, 1:33 am

So basically another Dr Mom who is trying to tell society and the professions that she knows more and demands the power of diagnosis using the power of, "her gut", "her feelings, and because "she just knows"

If that was the case we would still be forced to believe the world is flat because, "Mom just knows its flat" oh and don't forget if you sit to close to the TV you're going to be diagnosed by Dr Mom with having poor eye sight and when you go to the eye doctor he will confirm it and the child will be to blame! Yet let us not consider the kid already had poor eye sight thus he or she sat closer to the tv because the kid couldn't see!