Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 7:42 pm

Actually, this job is perfect for me.

I am the new administrative assistant at a grassroots advocacy group for people who are all over the autism spectrum.

They are going to give me a lot of training when it comes to dealing with clients, but I don't think the job itself is going to be anything I can't handle after the training is done.

The paychecks are going to be tiny to start with. Well, I can support myself on my SSDI alone - this job will add meaning to my life.

And that is what is going on in my world. It is amazing what a year of coaching with a therapist can do to make my Asperger's symptoms more manageable. A year ago, something like this would have been completely out of the question for me.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 8:09 pm

This is the most positive news I've heard all day (next to Hilary Clinton going to the Middle East to broker a peace talk, of course). Congratulations.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 9:00 pm

Congratulations! Hope you do really well!

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 10:47 pm

Congrats! I am glad therapy is working for you. My daughter has being in therapy for the last 4 years. Hopefully someday she will be able to get and keep a job, just like you!f

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 12:38 am

Yeah, first I had to advocate for myself, since nobody else was going to do that for me. That's the way my family rolls. If somebody in it has a serious emotional problem, the family gangs up on him or her with the "just get over it" message. People in my family really have a nasty habit of making no real effort to take care of themselves as the result of many generations of that.

I sought out therapy on my own terms. Now I am reaping the benefits. Because of that, I can now be a part of a voice for others who need it. I can be the advocate that I never had when I was younger. This means a lot to me.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 11:24 am

congrats
i never found theraphy useful...it backfires for me
and i never get excited in initial phases of a new job....after couple of months the real scenario evolves.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

good for you congragulations

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm

I am really digging this.

Whenever I have a question, my supervisors are more than happy to answer them. I don't feel like an idiot when I ask them how I should proceed when I am not completely sure. Frankly, they told me that I was coming up with questions that they never even considered before they hired me, so I guess I must be doing something right.

I guess my Asperger's perspective is being appreciated in an office full of NTs. I have only been working there three weeks, and I already feel like I am a part of the team. And I already have more confidence here than I have ever had at any previous job. This is really working out for me.

I am grateful that my medications are working these days (they got adjusted about four months ago), and I am grateful that I am starting to rack up some significant sobriety from my addictions, and I am thankful that I decided to put my recovery in a much higher priority than anything else in my life. A year ago, I would have never dreamed of this. I can't afford to get cocky now, I have to remember where I came from, and I have to remember that if I start slipping on my therapy, on taking care of my recovery, on working with the Asperger's coaching, all of this can go away pretty quickly if I am not vigilant.

Still, I'm celebrating. Tomorrow night will be Thai food and a night at the movies with good friends, a part of which will be covered with my first paycheck! YaY!

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2012, 1:57 am

Can you tell us some more about your life?

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

Good news. Now be productive and make society better.