Apparently pollution has a link to autism...

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

Oh. It wasn't until I read your post that I realised Fnord's joke. I hadn't realised it was a joke, because I missed the meaning. :?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

Jokes cause autism.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

Bodily toxicity is more likely to just cause fatigue, poor digestion, and other environmental toxin specific reactions

ie: exhaust gases will tax the liver and kidneys, lungs etc
pesticide residues will alter the nervous system
plastic food containers can promote oestrogen and reduce testosterone
wifi signal can heat the body, cause eye problems, confusion
meds will usually place extra load on the liver, heart, kidneys

Rather than causing autism, it would in most causes create comorbid conditions that make autism seem worse
I find it startling to see senior WP members, and mods....... disregard common sense scientific considerations of this thread subject??

To disregard the op in such a blanket manner is in no way honest or fair to anyone
Including toddlers attending day care on busy road intersections and residential homes near freeways

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

Posting on WrongPlanet is definitely linked to Autistic Spectrum Disorders ... there simply must be a causal link!

WP Causes ASD!! !

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20493360

*sigh*not this s**t again

*insert picard facepalm*

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:43 pm

the only thing that causes autism is autism

ie one or more of your parents or ancestors must've had it.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:34 am

Surfman wrote:
Bodily toxicity is more likely to just cause fatigue, poor digestion, and other environmental toxin specific reactions

ie: exhaust gases will tax the liver and kidneys, lungs etc
pesticide residues will alter the nervous system
plastic food containers can promote oestrogen and reduce testosterone
wifi signal can heat the body, cause eye problems, confusion
meds will usually place extra load on the liver, heart, kidneys

Rather than causing autism, it would in most causes create comorbid conditions that make autism seem worse
I find it startling to see senior WP members, and mods....... disregard common sense scientific considerations of this thread subject??

To disregard the op in such a blanket manner is in no way honest or fair to anyone
Including toddlers attending day care on busy road intersections and residential homes near freeways

Thanks for the support Surfman. Luckily the sarcasm and attempts at wit don't bother me. I just see it as people being closed minded and unwilling to consider scientific research. I don't state either way that I agree with the research, but I am at least open-minded to it. I find people's reactions funny, because it's like there is nothing better to do than be sarcastic when they can't answer the hypothesis with calm, factual views. That to me is odd, I enjoy intelligent debate.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:56 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Luckily the sarcasm and attempts at wit don't bother me. I just see it as people being closed minded and unwilling to consider scientific research.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you. Nobody is trying to make fun of you personally. It's not that we are close minded or unwilling to consider anything.

It's more to do with having been on these forums for a long time, and by now we've heard and addressed pretty much every idea and suggestion that has come down the pike.

In other words, "been there, done that." It gets a little tiring to hear the same things over and over, yet nothing is solved, and no positive change has come from most of it. Almost every study is inconclusive, and points nowhere. Some of the supposed causes that have come up are positively hair brained.

It's the plethora of supposed links to autism we're making light of. Not you.

Also, FYI, this isn't the first time traffic pollution has come up as a possible cause. Yes, there probably are many different causes for autism. The joke really is that none of the suggested causes, or the studies associated with them, have caused any positive change.

It's kind of like having heard and discussed in depth Chicken Little far too many times. After a while, all there is left to do is find some humor in it.

Please don't take it personally.

BTW, I thought you caught this earlier in the thread, but it does bear mentioning if you didn't. Your use of the term "apparently" in your subject line (along with what you said yourself about using it ironically, as well as some of your other posts right on the first page), makes it appear that you weren't taking the study seriously yourself. I think most, if not all of us, who were joking about it, thought you were as well. Even I didn't realize you actually wanted to have a serious discussion about it.

If that's the case, and you really do wish to discuss this seriously, by all means, feel free to.

As a moderator, I would now ask that those who don't take it seriously (myself included), let it be and allow the discussion to develop. Thank you.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

OlivG
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 8:15 am

MrXxx wrote:
As a moderator, I would now ask that those who don't take it seriously (myself included), let it be and allow the discussion to develop. Thank you.

Damn, I was just going to say "these nutritional improvements have been linked to decreasing incidences of the neurotypical syndrome".

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:22 am

MrXxx wrote:
Grasping at straws causes autism.

writing posts about what causes autism also causes autism.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:36 am

Okay, apparently the note I just posted above isn't getting through, or being taken seriously.

Enough of the jokes. Let the conversation develop in a serious tone, otherwise please move on.

I have added a moderator's note to her first post to help get this thread back on track. Please respect it. Thank you.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 9:54 am

MrXxx wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
Luckily the sarcasm and attempts at wit don't bother me. I just see it as people being closed minded and unwilling to consider scientific research.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you. Nobody is trying to make fun of you personally. It's not that we are close minded or unwilling to consider anything.

It's more to do with having been on these forums for a long time, and by now we've heard and addressed pretty much every idea and suggestion that has come down the pike.

In other words, "been there, done that." It gets a little tiring to hear the same things over and over, yet nothing is solved, and no positive change has come from most of it. Almost every study is inconclusive, and points nowhere. Some of the supposed causes that have come up are positively hair brained.

It's the plethora of supposed links to autism we're making light of. Not you.

Also, FYI, this isn't the first time traffic pollution has come up as a possible cause. Yes, there probably are many different causes for autism. The joke really is that none of the suggested causes, or the studies associated with them, have caused any positive change.

It's kind of like having heard and discussed in depth Chicken Little far too many times. After a while, all there is left to do is find some humor in it.

Please don't take it personally.

BTW, I thought you caught this earlier in the thread, but it does bear mentioning if you didn't. Your use of the term "apparently" in your subject line (along with what you said yourself about using it ironically, as well as some of your other posts right on the first page), makes it appear that you weren't taking the study seriously yourself. I think most, if not all of us, who were joking about it, thought you were as well. Even I didn't realize you actually wanted to have a serious discussion about it.

If that's the case, and you really do wish to discuss this seriously, by all means, feel free to.

Thanks Mr Xxx. I get what you're saying, although " "been there, done that." It gets a little tiring to hear the same things over and over" does sound as if minds have closed, even if it's just for that reason.

There are new members coming to WP all the time, and most of those will be unaware of any previous discussion about the sundry things that have been said to be potential causes for autism, so if people become worried about posting because they will get the sarcastic responses, newer members might never get to see the research. Even if it's rubbish research, it all helps to form a picture, and you never know whether a fantastic Aspie out there, having absorbed all the stuff that pops up, might get a lightbulb moment and discover the true cause(s) by making sense of all the available stuff.

I agree that it's annoying that research suggests possible causes without ever actually doing something about it, but one clever Aspie might be able to do so by putting the jigsaw together.

The use of the word 'apparently' was done because I was aware of the sort of responses I would get, so I was kind of playing along and between the lines saying "yes, I know this is yet another of one of those links" , not so much that I didn't take the research seriously. As always, it's hard to put irony across online! I really don't have a view either way on the article, but I do think it's really interesting to read and there could be a clue in there somewhere. It's worth getting people's serious opinions, because there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum. I for one have really understood my AS traits better for being on here, and found many answers.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

MrXxx wrote:
Okay, apparently the note I just posted above isn't getting through, or being taken seriously.

Enough of the jokes. Let the conversation develop in a serious tone, otherwise please move on.

I have added a moderator's note to her first post to help get this thread back on track. Please respect it. Thank you.

calmn down, dude. I didn't read the entire thread before I replied, so I never got to even read that until after I'd already posted.

And in any case, what's there to even discuss? There's pollution pretty much everywhere, and that's not gonna change anytime soon unless a large percentage of humans dies rapidly. AND that's not even considering how absurd of an assertion that is in the first place. Obviously pollution isn't good for anybody, but to say it causes autism? Why then aren't most humans(who, by the way, are definitely exposed to the same pollution) autistic? Let's say pollution is a catalyst of sorts... There'd still have to be something unique about those with autism that would allow the pollution to even BE a catalyst in the first place. So this entire topic is irrelevant.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

@ WhirlingMind: Understood. From your last couple of posts, it seemed that you would like some serious discussion. Dismissiveness doesn't always mean "closed minded." Topics like this tend to be joked about by those who have already discussed them, with open minds. It is possible to just not desire to discuss certain things anymore without being closed minded about them. If I were truly closed minded about this, I would simply have locked the thread, but I didn't, because I am open minded enough to value other people's desire to discuss the issue.

@ DerStadtschutz: I am perfectly calm. The messages are bolded to stand out obviously. I'm aware that you may not have seen them, which is why I specifically stated, "...apparently the note I just posted above isn't getting through, or being taken seriously. Perhaps I should have included the work "either" there. I wasn't suggesting that you weren't taking it seriously. I added the message to the first post so that others coming afterward would see it clearly before posting.

No harm done. No reason to belabor the issue. Carry on.

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2012, 12:47 pm

I'd expect that if true autism would be decreasing - compared to, for example, the industrial revolution, we live in relatively pollution free environments. Smog used to be a serious problem.. it's gone now. Petrol is now mostly unleaded as well, removing a known toxin from the environment.

Also, China currently has a major pollution problem in its cities (it's a few years behind the curve) - is autism more prevalent there or not?