Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 5:04 am

The difference between saying "God bless you" and "Merry Christmas" is that the first is habit, as puddingmouse said, i.e. it often just slips out of your mouth when someone sneezes and you don't think about it, while the second is a deliberately spoken sentiment that has thought and purpose behind it. You don't just accidentally say "Merry Christmas".

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2012, 5:27 am

Keniichi wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Culture and habit.

yet they get ticked off if someone says Merry Christmas, even if they know the person saying it, doesNOT mean any offense?

I'm an atheist and I have no problem with being wished a 'merry Christmas'. I still attend Christmas celebrations, after all.

Species5618
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2012, 7:05 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The difference between saying "God bless you" and "Merry Christmas" is that the first is habit, as puddingmouse said, i.e. it often just slips out of your mouth when someone sneezes and you don't think about it, while the second is a deliberately spoken sentiment that has thought and purpose behind it. You don't just accidentally say "Merry Christmas".

While the Christmas holiday still has a Christian element in its name, many of its traditions have very little to do with Christianity and are inherited from the Germanic midwinter-feast or the Nordic jul-feast. It's perfectly possible to celebrate Christmas without sticking to the Christian elements of the holiday. Atheists celebrating Christmas will still have a nice dinner with family, put up a tree, give presents, etc... So if we're going to be celebrating the holiday, why bother with avoiding its name. It's not practical at all.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 12:18 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

really now? I know alot of people say Merry Christmas without thinking

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 12:49 am

Keniichi wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

You are right actually, on Christmas Day, "Merry Christmas" kind of replaces "Hello". So I'd say there isn't really a difference, on that one day of the year.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:56 am

Keniichi wrote:

A custom, a habit, a convention.

ruveyn