When can you tell your child may have Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 9:44 pm

My daughter is about 10 months old and she's as social as babies get. She smiles at strangers, entertains and charms family members, babbles a LOT (since she was a newborn) and she even turns around when I call her name - complete opposite to me as a baby! I'm just wondering... Will she end up being like me at some point? Furrowed eyebrows at attention, staring blankly, and not responding to her name? I hate to say it, but I worry about the possibility that she may "regress"...

Any advice as to how to deal with regression? Or positive experiences about this type of anxiety?

ETA: I found a proper thread to answer some of my questions, but would still like to hear input if you have any!

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 10:00 pm

She also loves taking baths. She even likes getting OUT of the bath still wet. I don't even need to turn off the A/C. I thought this was weird but my husband doesn't.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 12:16 am

I don't think people with Aspergers ever regress, only people with classic autism. That probably doesn't help, but she sounds completely normal. I don't know what most regressions are like, but I do know I regressed (classic autism), but I was not"normal" from birth. I always had autistic symptoms, and then regressed further. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 2:09 am

Tony Attwood does not diagnose under the age of 5 - he says that before that age, it's difficult to know whether there is a developmental lag or truly Aspergers - I am talking Aspergers though not autism in general.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:53 am

I think there is a tendency (I do this, myself) to worry about "What ifs." Honestly, as a parent with an autistic child I wish I had had spent less time worrying and more time just enjoying my child. Actually, I wish that for me, now, too. Try to just enjoy your baby! No point worrying when you see nothing concrete to worry about, anyway. It does no good.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:22 am

My daughter was 5yrs before I realised she might have an ASD. She is and always has been very sociable, alert and cheerful and she met all her milestones and was way ahead on some of them. The only thing that I was concerned about when she was very young was her obvious sensory issues (although I didn't recognise it as that, at the time). Some kids don't have any signs at a young age and seem like perfect babies. There's no way of knowing, but try not to worry at all. In all honesty, our daughter's diagnosis has been anything but the end of our dreams. She's a great wee soul and there's no Mum prouder than me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes people online question rather my son is NT or not. They ask me how do I know he is NT? Well he is doing everything that normal toddlers do and reaching his milestones. I see no signs of autism and I am sure if my son showed red flags, doctors would have said something or my parents and husband.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2012, 6:22 pm

Thank you all for your replies. It definitely helps ease some of my worry to hear your perspectives. I now understand this regression a little more! I will definitely just enjoy my daughter and maybe think about the possibility of AS if it comes up.

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 9:07 pm

So glad to hear it. Many kids are diagnosed about ages 8 - 10, when social issues make life difficult. Before that, parents might know something is "off" but not significantly enough to warrent a diagnosis. That's a long time to worry. Much better to enjoy her, aspie or not.