Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I don't know. Is living an isolated life healthy? I swear, most of the time they mention murder-suicide in the news, it was perpetrated by a loner. I'm sure there are lots of people living all alone in farms and remote rural areas far from the madding crowd with nothing but the sound of crickets and wind through the trees to keep them company. Are they happy and content not speaking to anyone for weeks, months or years at a time? Who knows what they're after. Hopefully, they've found it.

If staying around other people only makes you feel like a stranger, why not try to permanently avoid them? I have been talking to people for years: they are not worth it. Or maybe it is just me. Whatever it is, isolation is probably the best course of action for me.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 7:14 pm

redrobin62:
This is going to sound rude, and I apologize in advance, but did you ever stop and think some people are loners because they have no choice? I have found that I have been rejected by society as a whole. Statistically speaking, I am more likely to die early, be poorer, and less healthy because of that. My coworkers call me a F**face, my immediate supervisor (both of us are male) grabbed my ass today, when I told him to knock it off he said that I must like it. If all the human interaction I know is pain, why would I want to be part of that?

Today I looked into truck driving school, that is my ideal job. $31,000 to enroll with no job placement guarantee. Thats more money than i make in two years. I qualify for less than $10,000 of student aid. I cannot finance a bag of dirt let alone 20 grand. I was denied credit for a car at one of those places that approves "anyone with a job and a license" even though I have both.

I know it sounds like a pity party, but society has repeatedly pushed me to the floor, kicked me in the gut and stolen my wallet, then kicked me again because there wasnt enough money in the wallet worth stealing.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:28 pm

It's not related to the topic but I have lied to myself in different ways. One time I spent a year and a half trying to convince myself I was psychic. I never suceeded but I came very close before stopping myself because I felt guilty about it.

To address the actual intention of the subject I have to say I can relate to some of it. I want to walk around the world on foot living a lonely "drifter" lifestyle.

I've convinced myself that I want bad things to happen to me to the point where I actively try to make them happen. I sabotage and cause harm to myself because I'm convinced I want it. I've been depriving myself of sleep and snorting ritalin for the purpose of causing myself psychological damage. I actually hope that I'll experience stimulant psychosis because I've convinced myself that I want something so terrible to happen to me and I'm upset by the fact that even if I succeed it will probably be temporary like most drug induced psychotic states. I'm so caught up in my lie that I would want it to become permanent if it happened.

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

I don't even have my own room, I live in company provided quarters. My entire life is with me in 2 suitcases and 1 laptop bag. It's depressing as hell but necessary right now in life to set myself up. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that I have a girl waiting for me on the other side.

The reality is that we all need something. Be it someone or something - we need something that makes us happy to make us complete. Find that something.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 9:07 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
I try to convince myself that I am content with my living situation, being almost 26 and still living with my mother and teen sister. I feel like I have wasted an incredible amount of time.

I don't see a problem. Your room looks functional and comfortable. And what is so wrong with living with your family? I think it's a good thing for family to stick together.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 9:36 pm

I'm very bad at positive self-delusion.

Trying to believe anything positive that I don't actually believe isn't likely to be effective.