Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

info101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2012, 9:34 am

After my last post it led me to wonder - does anyone know of in person groups or else e-mail lists for those of raised by AS parents?
This is fantastic but a list that was a bit more private would be wonderful. I know that I for one would be more comfortable sharing in a space that was not so publicly available.

If there's nothing out there I could certainly create a group but would hate to "re-invent the wheel"

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

I'm not really that hopeful for a live group because the population of those aware and concerned so far has seemed really spread out. It can be very difficult for AS adults to find groups, and that seems like a much larger population. Maybe a private internet group on something like Yuku? We could check with Alex (the owner of this site) for permission to link anything you all choose to create from the thread.

My main caution in your search is that I hope you'll stay clear of the more bitter people, who want to blame every little thing on the AS and stigmatize the whole population of those with AS. Our thread shows a lot nuance to it all, and has focused on healing and moving forward; getting angry at everyone with AS doesn't really help with that. Long run I personally believe we have to make peace with our parents (unless they were truly toxic) to make peace with ourselves. AS doesn't make a parent toxic, but it can mean they weren't the best parent for the unique person. There can be a lot of details to examine.

I'd also keep your eyes open for conferences, etc where some of the respected AS experts might include specialized workshops. That could be a good bet.