Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 4:52 am

To give some perspective though:

Influenza has killed 5,000 so far in the US
alcohol has killed about 9,000
tobacco is about 30,000
firearm murders are about 1,000

Sad that booze and smoke aren't as discussed on the national level as firearms and their relation to murder. Banning the those two will have saved 39,000, and both are needed less than firearms if "need" is your argument.

Dead is dead if you care about life.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

I saw this lovely quote:

Quote:
Froman, the NRA board member, said she'd like to see more sharing of resources to ensure a database of the mentally ill would prevent them from having access to guns.

How about you go to hell, Froman?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

^ Yes, exactly. :x

I wonder how she'd feel about a shared database of those who have access to guns, so people who want nothing to do with guns know who to avoid?
Nah, thought not...

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

Oh! It seems those going down the Mental Health road have just discovered that you're going to lose a lot more freedoms when legally, on-the-record you suffer from mental health issues. Career paths like the Military and Hospital paths will close, job hunting will increase tenfold in difficulty etc...

This will effect every US member on this site that's legally diagnosed.

...and as a result of Adam Lanza having Aspergers/Autism, if a draft proposal to improve Mental Healthcare, I'm certain that a proposal would be added that all diagnosed aspies would not be allowed to keep or collect any arsenals they may currently have.

So, what would you prefer: Second Class Citizenship and your arsenal being legally removed or just give them up and retain the freedoms you currently have?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

J-Greens wrote:
So, what would you prefer: Second Class Citizenship and your arsenal being legally removed or just give them up and retain the freedoms you currently have?

I'd take a big fat neither there. What's legal doesn't mean what's right.

It's just another case [in a long history of similar cases] of one minority group being marginalized and discriminated against because they're a minority, and by definition are easy to blame and foist off societal problems on.

The sad thing is, all sides of the political spectrum are possible fans of these things.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm

Another opinion (ignore the "owns Congress" and "all Americans should think like him"; but this is his uncut opinion):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXPlCjr0Vw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:20 pm

xenon13 wrote:
There's a theory out there that says that Lanza had Lyme's Disease and that this caused the shootings.

I've got a really bad feeling about his mother. That she was an emotionally abusive "nurturer" type. Things aren't always what they seem to the outside.