Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 8:51 pm

Mike1 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
the term anti-social is being misused. I believe the correct term is asocial.

I wouldn't use the term asocial to describe us either. If we were truly asocial we'd be like Schizoids, and feel no positive or negative emotions towards other people, nor would we have any desire to be around other people. Schizoids are having a discussion about the same event on another forum. Most of them say they just don't care, some of them say they enjoy the entertain value of the media's reporting of the event and of people's reactions to it, and some of them say that it's completely illogical and can't figure out why someone would do something like this though they feel no emotion for it. I don't resent them though because they can't help but feel nothing, and they have no bad intentions. From my time spent observing their discussions, I have noticed that they generally seem to be more sensible than the average person. I actually have more respect for the sensible people who lack feelings towards other people than I do for the ignorant people who have them.

This is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Asociality refers to the lack of a strong motivation to engage in social interaction and/or the preference for solitary activities. Developmental psychologists use the synonyms nonsocial, unsocial, and social disinterest. Asocial is distinct from antisocial as the latter implies an active dislike or antagonism toward other people or the general social order. The condition is often confused with misanthropy."

I think asocial is the closest you will get to the correct description. And it doesn't say lack of any motivation, just lack of a strong motivation. It sums me up.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:11 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
This is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Asociality refers to the lack of a strong motivation to engage in social interaction and/or the preference for solitary activities. Developmental psychologists use the synonyms nonsocial, unsocial, and social disinterest. Asocial is distinct from antisocial as the latter implies an active dislike or antagonism toward other people or the general social order. The condition is often confused with misanthropy."

I think asocial is the closest you will get to the correct description. And it doesn't say lack of any motivation, just lack of a strong motivation. It sums me up.

I guess Schizoids are just asocial to a higher degree. They don't have any active dislike or antagonism towards other people so they can't be classified as antisocial. I think it's kind of sad that people confuse people who are asocial to any degree with misanthropes, especially Avies. Of all the people who could be stereotyped as misanthropes, it makes the least logical sense to stereotype them that way. Stereotyping Aspies that way makes a little more sense but it's still ignorant. I guess you could say Schizoids are generally misanthropes but not antisocial.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:45 am

Mike1 wrote:
Even if the shooter was a sociopath, that still wouldn't be enough to explain why he did it. Sociopaths may lack empathy and a conscience, but they are still concerned with self-preservation. Most sociopaths still don't want to die or go to prison. Adam Lanza shot those children anticipating that he would have to commit suicide afterwards. There would also need to be a motive for doing it in the first place. The only reasonable explanation for why he would have done it is that he was manic and psychotic.

Good point. Of course no socio or psychopath wants to go to prison, it gets in the way of the 'game'.

But going to prison isn't bad (in their eyes), it's just another environment that has restrictive rules (e.g. going to "boot") that they have to learn to play with.

Dying is different, for when you think the game is played out or when you push too hard, that is the natural consequence and fear of death really isn't high on the list. In fact, most of the time, fear isn't even on the list of concerns, most situations just "develop" according to plan, or just arise, and one just deals with the situation as it is, hopefully with the skill/tact to (presumably) to talk/walk ones way out.