Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

I have trouble following conversations in noisy restaurants so I had my hearing tested - turns out my left is normal and my right is 50% more sensitive than the average. Doc says it's all good but they only test with beeps. I would bet if they did a test on speech with background noise I would fail it.

I find loud sound of any type very tiring.

vegankat
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
are you interested in why you have super hearing?

Hypersensitive hearing is an obvious consequence of too much BDNF too soon and hypersensitive hearing or musical leanings are very common in creative brained ASD people imo.

Being sensitive to all stimulus is a core feature for my money.

I am very interested in why I have this. Thanks for your reply. What does BDNF mean? I am a 'creative brained' type.

vegankat
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2012, 8:21 pm

Samian wrote:
I have trouble following conversations in noisy restaurants so I had my hearing tested - turns out my left is normal and my right is 50% more sensitive than the average. Doc says it's all good but they only test with beeps. I would bet if they did a test on speech with background noise I would fail it.

I find loud sound of any type very tiring.

Me too. I get very tired after being in loud noise.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 8:31 pm

OK, that is set then...The question arises then is: how much can you tolerate of your own noise. Music on your I-pod...if it is you who decided to put up with decibels or are we discriminate from where the noise emanates, originates, when and where. Like to blank out noise I have to here, in the inn, put my music full volume in my speakers or earphones. But it alos irritates me like today, when in a juice shop the radio was on with a reporter only talking and talking,no music. I hated that, so I put my earphones in and cranked up teh volume, and I could still hear teh reporter through it, that irritated me so much that I always ask, but didn't do it this time- I just finnished my drink and left-I f they can turn the volume down.

Last edited by Loborojo on 21 Dec 2012, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 8:33 pm

Now I sit in the lobby of the inn, the TV is on, so I have my Ipod on and loud, but in the music I hear very shrill sounds from flutes an dwhistels, and that is too loud for me..the pitch is what I cannot handle, it seems...or the repetitive drop or bash of os something.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 9:59 pm

Loborojo wrote:
OK, that is set then...The question arises then is: how much can you tolerate of your own noise. Music on your I-pod...if it is you who decided to put up with decibels or are we discriminate from where the noise emanates, originates, when and where. Like to blank out noise I have to here, in the inn, put my music full volume in my speakers or earphones. But it alos irritates me like today, when in a juice shop the radio was on with a reporter only talking and talking,no music. I hated that, so I put my earphones in and cranked up teh volume, and I could still hear teh reporter through it, that irritated me so much that I always ask, but didn't do it this time- I jkust finnished my drink and left-i f they can turn the volume down.

For me it's definitely other peoples noise that I find distressing.

It's like with babies - people try to protect them from unexpected noises so they wont cry - they haven;t developed the filters yet to cope with it. I think maybe I never developed the filter. Or something like that.

Arduino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2012, 6:36 am

I agree with jk1, being as I too get angry with noise. I get agitated and I can feel myself starting to explode like a firecracker. I have to walk away and make an excuse, if I am with people I do not know. The excuse is effectively a lie and I really despise lying, so then I start to hate myself for it. If I am with people I know, I can just explode in an angry outburst and shout at people. It is spontaneous and I have no control. I have a close friend how is naturally loud and I think a tad mutt. So he talks to me at a volume that I think is totally insane for someone half a metre away. I have to say something and it is usually "don't shout at me" and then he seems to take that as an insult an stops talking altogether. It makes no sense to me, but that is a phrase I am using all the time now. Everything an NT says and everything an NT does, makes no sense to me.

jacked
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 9:08 am

Years and years ago there was a treatment.
It worked for a long time on me and my brother anyway.

It was done with a medically induced hypnosis, however the medication is no longer allowed to be administered in the united states unless it is a medical emergency, and even then you have a slim chance.

It is now mostly used for memory repression, but some investigation may reveal they have improved it and production continues under a new name like Ketamine or something.

The neurologist would administer the medication intravenously and use a hypnotic script that took you down stairs, an elevator and into a corridor... and other times he would just tell me and that was it. One day you put it out of your mind and it was diminished.

I wish they would have continued studies in Asperger's but by the time we came out in the DSM most of the Psychiatric Facilities in the United states were being closed as Mainstream preferences prevailed. Not that we need to be committed, mind you, but it was a resource center for patients and Doctors alike.

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 9:10 am

I have incredible hearing. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, since I hate a lot of noises. Especially barking dogs. Well, actually, I just hate dogs in general, but that's another story.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 10:43 am

answeraspergers wrote:
are you interested in why you have super hearing?

Hypersensitive hearing is an obvious consequence of too much BDNF too soon and hypersensitive hearing or musical leanings are very common in creative brained ASD people imo.

Being sensitive to all stimulus is a core feature for my money.

Thanks, man,/Woman, for this reply...I didn't know this. I am an artist, so creative...I just wish sound wasn't so intrusive...I lose many people around me...just by mentioning/shouting -if mentioning doesn't help- ;-) to get the volume down...

Last edited by Loborojo on 21 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

I find it a lot harder to focus and think in noisy environments.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

I told my doctor I have a hard time understanding what people are saying, especially in background noise. He sent me to an audiologist who was amazed and how good my hearing was. He was really just blown away. He though that I probably have auditory processing disorder. I read the book "When the brain can't hear" and I'd say I have to agree. Because I don't filter out any sound and my hearing is exceptional, noisy rooms exhaust me and small sounds drive me crazy and loud sounds hurt me. Most of the time I just keep the ear buds of my ipod in even if I'm not listening to anything. Brings down the volume level to tolerable most of the time.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

jonny23 wrote:
I told my doctor I have a hard time understanding what people are saying, especially in background noise. He sent me to an audiologist who was amazed and how good my hearing was. He was really just blown away. He though that I probably have auditory processing disorder. I read the book "When the brain can't hear" and I'd say I have to agree. Because I don't filter out any sound and my hearing is exceptional, noisy rooms exhaust me and small sounds drive me crazy and loud sounds hurt me. Most of the time I just keep the ear buds of my ipod in even if I'm not listening to anything. Brings down the volume level to tolerable most of the time.

How are those earphones ? Mine are Senheiser...worthwihile trying tha, I once fell asleep with thme in bed, without music on...