namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

So its all over the news that Adam Lanza suffered from Asperger Syndrom
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -gun-facts

I guess the whole outlook of people against Asperger Syndrome will change now
they will look at us with rage, hatred and despise

What with i told my managers and supervisors that i suffer from aspergers.....i am sure they
will look down at me now and probably ask me to leave and sit at home

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:24 am

namaste wrote:
So its all over the news that Adam Lanza suffered from Asperger Syndrom
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -gun-facts

I guess the whole outlook of people against Asperger Syndrome will change now
they will look at us with rage, hatred and despise

What with i told my managers and supervisors that i suffer from aspergers.....i am sure they

Yes, we could hide or be ashamed or feel hopeless...

.... or.... we could all work together to make it known to the world what gentle, kind, and senstivie poeople we are and that the acts of one person in a demographic doesn't represent everyone in the demographic. We can demonstrate that we are important, valuable, and strong. All minorities have had to overcome tragically negative stereotypes and now it is our turn.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 8:35 am

Since when is Zero Hedge considered "news"?

Anyhow, I guess people with AS get to feel what it's like to be on the receiving end of an anonymous person talking to the media about information which is considered true although it can't be verified in any way. I recently went through this when the NY Times - same ones reporting this anonymous source - reported anonymous sources saying the USA created and deployed the Stuxnet virus. This is now accepted as the truth, even though there is absolutely no verification at all to back up this assertion. The NY Times is a real perpetrator of the anonymous source angle. I wonder if there even is an anonymous source, or if they just make up news. Even if the source exists, you have no way of knowing why they are leaking the information (they could have a specific ax to grind, or in the case of Stuxnet it's probably military-industrial complex consultants drumming up business for their security services) or how reliable it is.

Anyone who believes the news media's anonymous sources is probably too far gone to reason with.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:45 am

Telling any1 in the next few days you have AS may get you laughed at, assaulted, cyberbullied and/or killed. Wait until the storm calms down if you want to.tell anyone, although I personally don't like telling people unless I have to.

MBTI- ISTP

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:59 am

No doubt this is going to be used as an excuse as to why he killed those children. :x

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:04 am

namaste wrote:

You could tell them, that you have asperger yourself, but in opposite to the event in newtown your mum is mental healthy and did not teach you how to kill people as a child. So maybe in the USA its not that obvious because many parents teach their kids how to use weapon as a child, but in Germany and Austria its rather unusual. So its really conspicuous that most of the actors of such school tragedies in our countries, were also members of weapon clubs as teens. I really do not know why kids must be allowed to learn how to use weapons. And the "sports" argument have always been ridiculous for me. Sure... sport shooting... sounds for me as mad as "sport grenade throwing".

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:17 am

I did see it reported officially that Adam Lanza had Aspergers. I am also seeing clear discussions on the news about Aspergers, and why his violent acts should not be pinned on his autism.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

I think that there is a significant portion of the US that can recognize irresponsible journalism like that when they see it.

This is all the more reason for an AS guy like me to hold my head up high and live my life the best I can. I'm not going to let some fringe journalist (who is looking for any sleazy angle imaginable to sell a headline) define who the f**k I am over my diagnosis.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

[Moved from General Autism to Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation.]

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2012, 10:01 am

I've already posted about this to all my friends, a link included.

"The media is so quick to dispense every bit of information without context- in this case making the awkward loners who have enough social problems, further the subject of public paranoia. In the real world, they're more likely to be the victims of a crime, not the perpetrators."

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ne ... ce-experts

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 10:03 am

I have as yet to see any definitive proof that Adam was diagnosed with AS or any other form of autism.

Until I see such definitive proof, I consider all reports to that affect to be nothing more than rumors.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

I watched "60 Minutes" last night and they provided some very compelling anecdotal evidence that he did suffer from AS.

60 Minutes: Newtown

I think this will effect the way people view us. But there are plenty of well known people with AS who haven't done anything like this. In the end, things will balance out.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

Till date we were talking about sucessful people with AS
Bill Gates and Einstein but now i guess we will be compared with Adam Lanza
Ostracised and condemned more

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:13 am

namaste wrote:
Till date we were talking about sucessful people with AS
Bill Gates and Einstein but now i guess we will be compared with Adam Lanza
Ostracised and condemned more

Which is even more of a reason to hold our heads up and live the best lives we can.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:19 am

http://www.autism.org.uk/news-and-event ... tings.aspx

National Autistic Society's (NAS) view on this.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Can someone please point me to a reliable source that CONFIRMS that he had AS? I've not seen a single one thus far.

If we're going to point fingers at the media for irresponsible reporting, shouldn't we be as responsible as we expect them to be?

I'm really getting tired of seeing flat statements made that he had AS, when it may not be true at all.