Does anyone else seriously lack creativity?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dfect
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

So I seriously lack creativity, and it really affects my life. I find it incredibly hard to come up with ideas in general. I can copy other people's ideas and modify them slightly but not come up with stuff on my own.

It also affects my social life. I struggle to come up with things to say in conversation, my mind just goes blank.

Is this autism-related do you think?

This problem really makes me miserable.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 7:25 pm

Is not autism related at all.
I am very creative and artists,
often the most creative of all
are usually near the spectrum
or often on the spectrum

Are you medicated?
usually that will be the cause of your lack of creativity....

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 7:30 pm

Nope.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2012, 3:56 am

I have lots of creativity... but it often goes in weird directions (no surprise here) :)

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:59 am

I am extremely un-creative, and it frustrates me as well. I don't have any solution, though.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:20 am

So all these black and white avatar art photos are someone else's creation??

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 6:38 am

Dfect wrote:
So I seriously lack creativity, and it really affects my life. I find it incredibly hard to come up with ideas in general. I can copy other people's ideas and modify them slightly but not come up with stuff on my own.

It also affects my social life. I struggle to come up with things to say in conversation, my mind just goes blank.

This problem really makes me miserable.

I am artistic, but I do struggle to come up with ideas for things. But it depends on what I'm making, or writing. I hate the unknown jumping into a void feeling of conversation. I really rely on other people coming up with things to say and I reply to them. I get stressed out by feeling as though I am meant to lead the conversation. I can't do it. I am not good at thinking of things to say. I often watch people talking at parties (the very few I go to) and I wonder what on earth they have to talk about.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2012, 8:34 am

Quote:

I don't know; I actually saw a lot of kids with autism being creative.

About me, I am not a very creative person, but sometimes I can have really great ideas, so I don't think I'm totally uncreative.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

I'm a mixed bag. Sometimes I am very creative, othertimes not so much

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 11:48 am

I go through stages of creativity, Im an amateur photographer and sometimes I can go out and the area im in can totally inspire me and i end up creating some really striking images. Other times Ill go out and come back with nothing more than a few snapshots that i dont even bother attempting to edit into something nice. Mood plays a lot in it it too. If Im depressed or low then my creativity suffers horribly. Also bad weather seems to give me a creative block, mainly because i dont want to do anything but lie in bed/on the sofa when its like that though.

surfman wrote:
Are you medicated?
usually that will be the cause of your lack of creativity....

Strangely when i was on meds for depression and anxiety my creative side was at an all time high, now that im not taking anything its gone way down.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 1:01 pm

I can be extremely creative when the right idea strikes me, but since I was a child I have struggled with this difficulty in coming up with ideas. Most of the things that my parents considered "having great imagination" were me copying styles of art or writing and adapting them to create something of my own, or throwing random weird stuff together. Even when the result was good, I almost always felt like a fraud because I knew it wasn't an original idea.

I clearly remember being rather frustrated at NOT being able to play imaginatively with toys, especially after I became more aware of my surroundings and lost the ability to lose myself completely in totally repetitive stuff like sorting cards or coins etc. I never QUITE gained the ability to play "normally" with things, although I think I caught up on some of this while "babysitting" older (12 yo) children when I was 16-17.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:19 am

Surfman wrote:
So all these black and white avatar art photos are someone else's creation??

Would you call them creative? I'd call them slightly artistic, but pretty much just reusing other people's ideas.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:23 am

I used to be very creative in writing short stories as a child. Now, 99.99% of the time I can't even think of a basic backstory for a MUD character.

I often needed someone to sit next to me and help organize my thoughts while in school, but rarely got that, and never got that beyond the seventh grade. :roll:

MasterGamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

I always thought I was super creative when I was younger. Then I realized I was only borrowing ideas from other things and modifying them slightly for whatever I needed... It's why I often join RPG's, but rarely make my own...

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 6:17 pm

I know that lots of Aspies are quite creative. I'm not.

I'm quite good at reproducing music, and I can analyze pieces. But whenever I try to compose something myself, it sucks.
When given a melody, I can often write an accompaniment (depends on the style, though), because there are rules for this. But when I try to think up something completely on my own, I'm lost.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 6:31 pm

The word "creativity" has been abused far too much to hold any weight any longer. Look at popular music: you have the clone-drones who copied every other talent show winner and then you have the weird ones who basically copied off of Madonna (namely GaGa and Minaj) and all the anime shows where characters conjure up creatures using cards. Even in niche sectors, you have sci-fi minatures games. Ever have a peek at Scibor Miniatures and the sci-fi models Hi-Tech makes? The figures bear a striking resemblance to the power armor-clad Space Marines in Warhammer 40,000. Look at all the RPGs that run off of the D20 system and have all the same basic races as D&D or TCGs that use "resource cards" (lands for Magic and energy for Pokémon). Let's not forget all the vampire romance garbage floating down the stream.

In today's society, merely making slight alterations to a concept that already exists is viewed as being creative. Go figure...