League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Test taken on 29 December 2012: You scored 16.0 out of 22 in 7.7 seconds

the problem with this test is that is was designed by Baron-Cohen. a great deal of the things he takes for granted about empathy and emotional intelligence, especially regarding gender differences, is not necessarily reliable or valid in the real world.

interestingly... for empathy tests, if men do not know they are being tested, they will score the same as women. society tells men they don't understand emotions and can't "read" what people are feeling, so they believe it. but if you trick them by testing them on the sly, they are no worse than women at reading emotions.
that's interesting..although since they have that stigma they will be worse at it in real world situations

that is totally true, yes. the only way they could get an accurate result was to trick the test subjects (they set up a situation with a loved one where they had to guess what they were thinking or feeling, if i recall correctly, but they were never told what they were being tested for)

So you would basically have to manipulate them for the accurate score.

Not all manipulation is bad.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Dec 2012, 7:15 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

the problem with this test is that is was designed by Baron-Cohen. a great deal of the things he takes for granted about empathy and emotional intelligence, especially regarding gender differences, is not necessarily reliable or valid in the real world.

interestingly... for empathy tests, if men do not know they are being tested, they will score the same as women. society tells men they don't understand emotions and can't "read" what people are feeling, so they believe it. but if you trick them by testing them on the sly, they are no worse than women at reading emotions.
that's interesting..although since they have that stigma they will be worse at it in real world situations

that is totally true, yes. the only way they could get an accurate result was to trick the test subjects (they set up a situation with a loved one where they had to guess what they were thinking or feeling, if i recall correctly, but they were never told what they were being tested for)

This sounds a lot like stereotype threat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype_threat

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 4:44 am

League_Girl wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

So you would basically have to manipulate them for the accurate score.

Not all manipulation is bad.

no manipulation, just basic study tactics where they don't tell you ahead of time what they are researching. this prevents the subjects from manipulating their responses to fit the predetermined social expectations. it's fairly typical for a research study, unless researchers are blind to how society has influenced our thoughts about ourselves.

Verdandi, yes. it is very powerful. another study found that women scored significantly lower on a math test when they had to write their gender at the top of the test before answering questions. there was no other difference between the tests that 2 groups of women completed. when society tells men and women over and over that they are different, it makes them different.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 7:32 pm

Do you have any details on this research? It looks very interesting.

If you look through his original papers, Prof Simon B-C admits his results are not very conclusive and that this test is not very accurate. I included this test on the Aspie Tests website because as far as I know it doesn't appear anywhere else. I have to say I do find the Aspie tests results intriguing. When I created that version of the test I added a timer, expecting Aspies to be significantly slower than NTs. The actual results seem to indicate otherwise.

I think Noetic may have a very good point. I do well on this type of test but in real life I have failed pretty spectacularly sometimes. There is a huge difference between an on-line test and real life where you aren't concentrating specifically on interpreting emotions and lots of other things are happening at the same time.

There are a few other possible problems with this test:
You do also have to wonder how many of the people who say they are NT actually are. People have to take these tests for a reason and I don't see that many NTs who are mostly unaware of Autism are likely to ever take them. If you look at the results of some of the other tests a significant number of 'NT's score very high on the AQ, RAADS etc. Another problem is the sample size. As very few NTs take the tests, a few low scorers will significantly affect the results.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

Here's the page with the link to the study:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Here's the page with the link to the study:
http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

Oops, I should have been clearer. I meant these studies:
hyperlexian wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
another study found that women scored significantly lower on a math test when they had to write their gender at the top of the test before answering questions. there was no other difference between the tests that 2 groups of women completed. when society tells men and women over and over that they are different, it makes them different.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2012, 7:08 am

Test taken on 31 December 2012: You scored 6.0 out of 22 in 7.3 seconds

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 7:17 am

I've tried about 5 times to take this test, but scene 7 never loads once you press play, it stays black so I can't continue the test.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Last edited by whirlingmind on 31 Dec 2012, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2012, 7:53 am

Test taken on 31 December 2012: You scored 9.0 out of 22 in 10.2 seconds

Just another verification,,,,I have difficulity with facial recognition of any kind.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 8:25 am

RazorEddie wrote:
Do you have any details on this research? It looks very interesting.

If you look through his original papers, Prof Simon B-C admits his results are not very conclusive and that this test is not very accurate. I included this test on the Aspie Tests website because as far as I know it doesn't appear anywhere else. I have to say I do find the Aspie tests results intriguing. When I created that version of the test I added a timer, expecting Aspies to be significantly slower than NTs. The actual results seem to indicate otherwise.

I think Noetic may have a very good point. I do well on this type of test but in real life I have failed pretty spectacularly sometimes. There is a huge difference between an on-line test and real life where you aren't concentrating specifically on interpreting emotions and lots of other things are happening at the same time.

There are a few other possible problems with this test:
You do also have to wonder how many of the people who say they are NT actually are. People have to take these tests for a reason and I don't see that many NTs who are mostly unaware of Autism are likely to ever take them. If you look at the results of some of the other tests a significant number of 'NT's score very high on the AQ, RAADS etc. Another problem is the sample size. As very few NTs take the tests, a few low scorers will significantly affect the results.

i read most of it in "Delusions of Gender" by Cordelia Fine. she doesn't do any original research herself, but she compiles and explains a massive amount of information from credible sources. she is able to find a great deal of information that fairly clearly explains that "male" and "female" minds are sociocultural constructs and not biological realities.

Cordelia is well worth reading just because of the treatment the "extreme male brain" gets in her book.

http://www.cordeliafine.com/delusions_of_gender.html

Quote:
NEW "Cordelia Fine's first book, the highly acclaimed A Mind of Its Own, had as a general theme the foundation-shaking notion that you hitherto haven't had nearly as much control over your opinions as you thought. In Delusions of Gender, she turns this scholarly bulldozer on scientific claims of inherent differences between female and male cognitive abilities. ...Fine's discussion is about much more than just neuroscientific studies of gender differences - for starters, it contains an excellent introduction to the scientific method in general. The style is reminiscent of Ben Goldacre's Bad Science; at times sardonic, at others fantastically funny. ... Fine herself notes that it's hard to convince anyone that there is much new to say about gender, but she has met that challenge, bringing the paradigm shift of Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch to the scientifically-minded audience of the 21st century."

British Neuroscience Association Bulletin

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:05 am

whirlingmind wrote:
I've tried about 5 times to take this test, but scene 7 never loads once you press play, it stays black so I can't continue the test.

That's odd. All the player does is download flash videos and play them. If it plays the first 6 it should load the rest. I got a report of this fault through the Aspie tests contact page. Was that you?

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:12 am

Thanks Hyperlexian. I've just ordered a copy.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

RazorEddie wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:

That's odd. All the player does is download flash videos and play them. If it plays the first 6 it should load the rest. I got a report of this fault through the Aspie tests contact page. Was that you?

Yes it was me.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Yes it was me.

I wonder if it was a cache issue. Did you try clearing your cache or using a different browser?

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2012, 5:48 pm

Test taken on 31 December 2012: You scored 18.0 out of 22 in 7.2 seconds

The average score for males with ASD is 12.3 out of 22 in 9.2 seconds
The average score for females with ASD is 11.4 out of 22 in 7.4 seconds
The average score for males with suspected ASD is 12.6 out of 22 in 10.8 seconds
The average score for females with suspected ASD is 12.2 out of 22 in 10.9 seconds
The average score for male neurotypicals is 9.7 out of 22 in 15.0 seconds
The average score for female neurotypicals is 14.8 out of 22 in 8.9 seconds

Neurotypicals on average score lower?