White noise.
Yes 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
Don't care. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 38

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Dec 2012, 6:18 pm

Yeah. My fan in my room is on 24/7. Although I'm not a huge fan of noise, I hate it when it's deathly quiet.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2012, 6:32 pm

Im personally a fan of low volume

White Noise
Brown Noise
Pink noise

Beta 13hz
Alpha 8hz
Delta 2.5hz.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 Dec 2012, 9:11 pm

I like having some kind of noise, as it drowns out all the other little noises that are constantly present, as well as tinnitus.

I usually run a fan for that effect.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:38 am

I like white noise, but for a completely different reason... equalizer calibration. (From Wikipedia) (White noise) is also used to generate impulse responses. To set up the equalization (EQ) for a concert or other performance in a venue, a short burst of white or pink noise is sent through the PA system and monitored (with an audio spectrum analyzer) from various points in the venue so that the engineer can tell if the acoustics of the building naturally boost or cut any frequencies. The engineer can then adjust the overall equalization to ensure a balanced mix.

saltz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2013, 6:27 am

i don't mind certain kinds of repetitive background noise (like a fan), as long as it is repetitive and doesn't have, for example, a non-rhythmic click or whatever going on every now and then. but white noise i really can't stand - even at low volume i find it loud and harsh on my ears.
if i'm doing something, music distracts me (i focus on the music rather than on what i'm doing) so i prefer having either silence or a short instrumental track that repeats itself over and over. if i'm trying to sleep, i can't listen to anything at all.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2013, 11:07 am

I find it very helpful and relaxing. Without it, I probably wouldn't be able to function at home.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2013, 11:14 pm

compiledkernel wrote:
Im personally a fan of low volume

White Noise
Brown Noise
Pink noise

Beta 13hz
Alpha 8hz
Delta 2.5hz.

I was about to say...I prefer low frequency sine waves, usually between 4hz and 8hz, as far as calming sounds/frequencies go.

Now our ears can't actually pick up frequencies that low, but when we hear two different frequencies, one in our left ear and another in our right, we will hear the difference of the two frequencies stand out as a frequency of it's own. (320Hz tone in your left ear and a 300Hz tone in your right ear. You’ll hear a 20Hz).

This stuff is like training wheels for meditation :D . Really relaxing, always calms me down, and great for drifting off to sleep, especially 4hz down to 2.5hz delta.