Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you think an Aspie Festival is possible by 2014?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 16 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Stop Dreaming 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Will there be ice cream? 43%  43%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 37

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
^ It depends on the nature of the convention. Business conventions are held to inform, educate, demonstrate products, make sales, and provide opportunities for future "networking". Gaming conventions are opportunities to dress up ("cosplay"), buy and play games, and gape at the booth babes. Comic conventions are similar to gaming conventions, with the opportunity meet celebrities in the comic, TV, and movie industries.

Most of the time, though, it's just an excuse to meet people and party.

Thank you for eggsplaining.

I have a suggestion for speakers and presenters. I would like to see presentations on practical things that can help autistic people instead of talks about individual autistic people's lives or froo-froo issues like inclusion, functioning labels, autism acceptance, and those other things that autism self-advocacy organizations focus on right now.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 11:23 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Thank you for eggsplaining.

I have a suggestion for speakers and presenters. I would like to see presentations on practical things that can help autistic people instead of talks about individual autistic people's lives or froo-froo issues like inclusion, functioning labels, autism acceptance, and those other things that autism self-advocacy organizations focus on right now.

You have a good point there, I'm just wondering who out there does lectures about practical assistance methods. Maybe as an adjunct to discussing their own lives? Speakers love to talk about themselves after all :) .

Yeah, I'm not sure if lectures on inclusion and acceptance are on point for what should really be a more upbeat festival. I mean, if aspies are already there, we have our own acceptance and inclusion, right?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

I was reading discussions of Autreat, and it has been pointed out that Autreat probably is not priced in the desired price range for many active posters. I think that pricing is an issue that would have to be looked at for an Aspie Festival, in fact, it might be the second biggest issue.

I think the question should be "what level of services would we expect in an event of this nature?". A hotel conference center can be rented out for 3 figures, but hotel rooms are expensive compared to if people could drop in by mass transit.

Perhaps some of our membership with experence in these matters can be of assistance.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 7:40 pm

Based on the course this thread took, I would have to retract my vote and say that a local Aspie Festival, outside of Alex's event and Autreat, is unlikely in the United States by 2014.

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2013, 9:34 pm

Would be very nice to unite Aspies around the country, not sure though if this is possible, but I wont stop dreaming - and if there is one, be sure to bring ice cream!