Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

I know that this may sound absurd, but I don't feel like an aspie today.

I went out last night with some friends, of course they got really drunk and I didn't. They also tend to be a little wierd and crazy.

Now I know as a fact that if I were sober around your typical people my age, I'd stand out.

But I just don't feel that different today.

I donno it's an awkward feeling, I know shortly my bubble is gonna be burst, however at the moment I feel fine.

Anyone else get these feelings.

IWasWrong
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

Today I feel a lot more compassionate and emotional, due to going through a breakup of my first love. I've also been sleeping better recently, since I no longer look after my child, and that has made feel me a bit less autistic. I don't know, I feel less robot like. I feel more empathetic, and that is helping me get on better with others.

It feels like someone just switched my emotions on.

So I feel ya :)

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Why would we feel different in the morning, barring some sort of illness? Do we not wake up and breathe air, do we not eat food?

We have a different neurology that processes information differently, and analyizes it differently. There are other traits that need more research, but we do not wake up differently.

I may have misunderstood the OP's post.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:03 pm

I think part of it may also have been the fact that going into the situation I knew I was different, they were nice people and my weirdness didn't set me apart in fact it made me feel like I belonged. I typically spend my time with nt's fixating on how we were different. In this situation . what mattered to me was how we were the same.

I built on that, something I haven't been doing to be perfectly honest.

I've never even considered it until recently. My typical interactions were fixated on why I was different. I really believe it was a major issue for me. Upon realizing why we were the same things seemed to have a completely different order to it.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

So what you're saying is more that "I did'nt feel different" today, would that be fair to say?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
So what you're saying is more that "I did'nt feel different" today, would that be fair to say?
I still feel different in a way, I guess what I really mean, is for once in a long time I feel that my differences didn't get in the way of me feeling connected to those around me. Because I was focusing on the threads that bind me to everyone else, not the ones that divide.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

I've been wondering if some people spend a lot of time in shut-down mode and when out of shut-down mode feel so much more with it and competent.

Growlithe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

I feel like an Arcanine today!

Too bad I don't have a fire stone

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

Yes as to me it is the rest of the world that is weird!

Strange critters other humans are....they discombobulate me!

(What a wonderful word that is...'discombobulated'. I came across it recently and it amuses me lol. I want to change my name to Ms_Discombobulated on all my online profiles but some won't let me :cry:)

Then again I am not sure if I have an ASD or not, so my reply may not count for much lol

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

I like the name "Bumble".

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

I can easily lose that feeling of 'being an Aspie". All I have to do is stay in my apartment for weeks with my internet connected computer and my cat. I have enough 'social' experience by going through the check out line in the middle of the night at the 24 hour grocery. I only 'feel like an Aspie' when I am around other people. When I am not, I am 'normal.'

funny how that works, eh?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I've been wondering if some people spend a lot of time in shut-down mode and when out of shut-down mode feel so much more with it and competent.

I spend most of my time in varying stages of overload. I have also spent long periods of time in varying degrees of shutdown.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I can easily lose that feeling of 'being an Aspie". All I have to do is stay in my apartment for weeks with my internet connected computer and my cat. I have enough 'social' experience by going through the check out line in the middle of the night at the 24 hour grocery. I only 'feel like an Aspie' when I am around other people. When I am not, I am 'normal.'

That's so right. I'm sure plenty of us experience the same ^

There are times when I'm 'not' in that I function/interact just as anyone else. In fact, my formal manners exceed most neurotypicals so I do have an edge. Plus I look 'normal' so I can be regarded as just a shy person. And that's fine.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:15 pm

I always feel like I am on my own planet and there is a wide chasm that separates me from other people. Posting on WP makes me feel connected though.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm

For a long time i didn't realize that i was as "on my own planet" as i thought.
I thought that others didn't notice.
It's odd since i always knew i was different; kids in school that pick and make fun of me made that obvious, yet i just didn't realize
that i appeared so "out there" sometimes until the past several years and i am 30.
I have no idea how i went through life so clueless at times. It's obvious to other people that i am "different".
I myself know and have always known i'm "different", yet i didn't know it was so obvious.
So when i realized that it's obvious to NTs it kind of blew my mind.
NTs can spot me easily especially if they are talking or trying to talk to me. I either give myself away the minute i open my mouth or
zone out.
I am how i am, i don't mean to be rude to NTs i cannot help how i am. I got to go find my Autism necklace :farao: :nemo:

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:12 pm

I think a large portion of it is that what society as a whole considers to be normal is based on what we see on tv. People on tv are one dimesional characters, typically poorly acted facing the camera at strange angles so no social cues are needed.

I think even for an nt there is a great deal of confusion of trying to seperate reality from television, so it should come to know surprise that we see ourselves as normal.

I also think it's worth mentioning that the day I made this OP, was exactly 3 months after I first came out of denial. Ironic that it took exactly three months. As some neurologist sugguest that 3 days and 3 months are the cycles in which the human brain operates.