Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 2:37 am

i didn't go to my junior prom

For my senior prom, my special ed teacher arranged a date (who was a sophomore at the time) to go with me... it was fun, since im from New Jersey... the seniors spend their post prom week at the Jersey Shore, preferably, Wildwood.... i didn't go, because people would've felt awkward around me

side note, my senior english teacher monday after prom said "Look at you losers!!" for those who didn't skip school to be at the beach, including me

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/mfs1013

http://soundcloud.com/DJMFS
http://mixcloud.com/DJMFS

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

mfs1013 wrote:

For my senior prom, my special ed teacher arranged a date (who was a sophomore at the time) to go with me... it was fun, since im from New Jersey... the seniors spend their post prom week at the Jersey Shore, preferably, Wildwood.... i didn't go, because people would've felt awkward around me

side note, my senior english teacher monday after prom said "Look at you losers!!" for those who didn't skip school to be at the beach, including me
If I was a parent and found out a teacher was telling my child to skip school I would be angry. That just seems wrong. I would not like that as a student. I would tell the special ed teacher that he said that and it bothered you.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

I went junior year when I had a girlfriend. Dinner and the postdance snack we got were nice. Prom itself was pretty anxiety-inducing. I didn't dance or talk much.

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

I went to one dance in middle school, and ended up just standing in the corner playing Tetris to escape the loud obnoxious music. I never went to any dance after that. When Prom came around, I thought "meh" and didn't bother. I did end up going to prom with a girl I was interested in at another school, but all that prom did was convince both of us that a relationship would not be possible.

So, in short, sort of yes, but not my own prom.

Draka
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

I didn't go to prom mainly because I had no one to go with. I'm the wallflower type at dances (I was one at the two dances I did go to) and knew I needed to go with someone to have fun (guaranteed dance partner). None of the guys at my school really liked me or were going with other people. The one friend I considered asking didn't want to go and had already turned down someone else. Plus the most popular dance move at my school was grinding, and that always freaked me out. And then there was the whole you are expected to kiss your prom date at the end of the night thing, which my dad kept insisting was a requirement (I'd never kissed anyone and I wanted my first kiss to be with a boyfriend-someone who liked me and whom I liked in return). So all of those factors led to me not going to prom, and I sometimes regret it, though I think it was highly unlikely that I could've avoided those problems.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

03 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

I didn't go to either of my high school proms because of academic stress and travel.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
In my junior year, I worked up enough courage to ask a girl to the prom. She just shook her head and laughed ... then she told her friends, and they laughed, too. When the teachers found out, it became a joke - they would ask me at the beginning of every class if I had a prom date yet, and then chuckle or giggle even before I had a chance to answer.

In my senior year, I worked up a list of 27 girls to ask to the prom. Each one of them turned me down. Not so much laughter that time, but it was humiliating, nonetheless. The teachers were like, "Is everyone looking forward to the Prom? Everyone except Fnordie, of course..."

On prom night, my sister went with her date. As soon as they left, my dad started expressing his anger and disappointment in having a son who couldn't get a date. He accused me of being gay (which was a Really Bad Thing back in the 1970s), of lying about the girls I'd asked, of being stupid, of being lazy, and of just about everything his alcohol-soaked brain could think of. Then he banished me to the garage overnight to "think about it".

Did I go to the prom?

HELL NO!

Wow... bunch of scumbags.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

I went to a private Baptist school, so we didn't have a prom. We had a banquet because while dancing was a sin, gluttony wasn't. I did date a guy who went to a public school in Leeds and I went to his prom with him. This was 1981 and I wore an antebellum style floor length mint green chiffon dress. It was off the shoulder with ruffles everywhere and a train and bustle. He wore a mint green tux. It was ok, but nothing at all like I thought it would be. That might be because I didn't go to his school and didn't know anybody else at all there. I think dancing in the gym to "Slow Dancing" or "Endless Love" would be much better if it's not done in a room full of strangers. I felt sort of awkward because I didn't know anybody or know what to do or say and he was quiet and sort of awkward too so we mainly just stood around, drank punch and watched.

My daughter went to her prom last year and it was ruined for her. She went out to eat with her fiance beforehand and when they got there the prom was over. They shut it down about an hour early. It had been raining and the place where they had it was about 45 minutes away in good weather so it took them longer to get there from the restaurant in the bad weather. Lots of people didn't come, or left early because of the rain and the distance. She came home in tears. It was her and her fiance's five year anniversary too. I got them to give her a refund for the ticket.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

I didn't go to prom my junior year because of my allergies.

However, I went to prom my senior year. It happened to be on the same day as State Solo and Ensamble, so I was up super early to get to school, and we had to take a 45 minute bus ride to UW-Oshkosh, where we performed at 8 am. I got back at around 9:30 am and I took a bit of a nap.

I did my own hair and makeup, and the dress I bought was a short black, red, and white one from Deb for $40. Even though I didn't have a date, I had a lot of fun tearing up the dance floor. Since it was held in my high school's gym, tickets were only $10. I didn't spend too much for prom. I re wore my prom dress for my spring band concert, graduation/19th birthday tea and my graduation party.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2013, 4:26 am

Fnord wrote:
In my junior year, I worked up enough courage to ask a girl to the prom. She just shook her head and laughed ... then she told her friends, and they laughed, too. When the teachers found out, it became a joke - they would ask me at the beginning of every class if I had a prom date yet, and then chuckle or giggle even before I had a chance to answer.

In my senior year, I worked up a list of 27 girls to ask to the prom. Each one of them turned me down. Not so much laughter that time, but it was humiliating, nonetheless. The teachers were like, "Is everyone looking forward to the Prom? Everyone except Fnordie, of course..."

On prom night, my sister went with her date. As soon as they left, my dad started expressing his anger and disappointment in having a son who couldn't get a date. He accused me of being gay (which was a Really Bad Thing back in the 1970s), of lying about the girls I'd asked, of being stupid, of being lazy, and of just about everything his alcohol-soaked brain could think of. Then he banished me to the garage overnight to "think about it".

Did I go to the prom?

HELL NO!

8O All that seriously happened?

If so, it's just totally inappropriate of your teachers to say that. Heck I didn't know even teachers made such a big deal about such things. The way your dad acted was also inappropriate.

I guess my school and where I live there's a much different culture - having a date carried very little importance. I never had one for the proms I'd been to - one in Year 11 and one in Year 13 and it didn't matter at all - people just tended to be with their friends and people just generally mingled together as a year group. I didn't know people even made such a fuss over having a date or not.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 4:41 am

ianorlin wrote:
mfs1013 wrote:

If I was a parent and found out a teacher was telling my child to skip school I would be angry. That just seems wrong. I would not like that as a student. I would tell the special ed teacher that he said that and it bothered you.

The high school here in town has a tradition of "Senior Skip Day" every year. It's traditional that the Seniors skip this particular day and go on some trip they organized themselves and they usually have a teacher along too who has called in sick. They are counted absent that day and very rarely do any Seniors actually go to school that day even if they don't go on the trip. The rare ones who do find that they aren't given any work that day because there is no lesson planned. It's planned in advance, so everybody knows about it. The "skipping school" is done basically with backhanded approval. That's probably the kind of situation that the above poster was talking about. That isn't something that a parent would get mad about.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 9:59 am

Although maybe it might be nice at school then because less crowded and sensory issues. You could always just read a textbook if nothing was going on in class. Class gets better when classrooms aren't overcrowded. Or you could go and ask for review of stuff or just study for tests work on projects and stuff so you have to do less at home in a less noisy than normal school enviornment. A mostly empty classroom with three people in it you think I don't like that and want to go to that. Also because my feelings are different I should not get mad over something I think is a waste?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

I went to two proms. I sort of fell into one and the other one I went too.

Both where fun.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:16 am

Fnord wrote:
As soon as they left, my dad started expressing his anger and disappointment in having a son who couldn't get a date. He accused me of being gay (which was a Really Bad Thing back in the 1970s), of lying about the girls I'd asked, of being stupid, of being lazy, and of just about everything his alcohol-soaked brain could think of. Then he banished me to the garage overnight to "think about it".

Your experience seems to have been really nasty :?

I can hardly imagine parents pushing their children to date. Mine always seemed to think it was perfectly fine that the whole world of dating was entirely alien to me, and that it should stay that way. It seemed the reasonable thing to do, no matter how badly I actually wanted to enjoy that part of life like everyone else did. After all, why allow your children to date, considering that gets them one step closer to having sex? Not letting them go out with someone of the opposite sex is so glaringly obviously the best solution against STDs and unwanted pregnancies it baffles me almost no parents are implementing it.

It always seemed to me it was too early to start dating, till suddenly it seemed too late.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:22 am

I went to prom both my junior and senior year, but never had a date. I would always just go with a group of friends. Part of me would have liked to have a date, but it's too late now. My senior prom was a bit depressing because I saw a group of people who I was once friends with having a great time. It was also awkward feeling like one of the few seniors without a date. Two weeks after my senior prom, I went to a dance party with a one girl and a few guys friends from the college I'm dually enrolled in. It was much more relaxed than prom and we got a big group of people to dance with us. Besides a few annoyinh drunk guys, the night was a blast. IT sure beat an over-hyped high school dance.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2013, 9:11 pm

I'm a freshman in high school, and I don't want to go to prom when I'm a senior. It's really expensive, and I'm not really into dancing or socializing, and I think both of those are at prom. I also highly doubt that anyone would ask me, and I would be too shy to ask anyone.