Nurse gives up career after refusing flu shot.

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 6:00 am

GoonSquad wrote:
PM wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Any job requires a sacrifice of freedom. Jobs require you to go to a certain place at certain times and do certain things. Not doing them gets you sacked. If we take you argument to its logical conclusion, then it's better not to work for someone else at all, rather than sacrifice any of our freedoms. Not everyone has the option of working for themselves.

I'm not disagreeing, she simply took a stand for her personal liberty by refusing and resigning.

Also, to Goonsquad: Who said I was a Libertarian?

I’m not calling names, just throwing it out there.

Too many people, especially those who identify themselves as libertarian, fetishize the concept of personal freedom and profoundly misunderstand what it is in the context of civil society. Edmund Burke explains it rather well. :)

To my mind, this nurse is not some martyr for personal freedom. She's just a woman who chose not to act in a reasonable, considerate manner and lost her job as a result.

Nobody is free to needlessly imperil other people.

I avoid flu shots (and most medical treatment for that matter) simply because I cannot stand needles. However, I am not in a high-risk job where people could die if I did not get vaccinated.

I see the point of your quote, but I still value personal liberty over safety.

Last edited by PM on 05 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

It's not even a matter of protecting patients. If a person has been infected with the flu less than 48 hours before taking a flu shot, it makes the flu 10 times worse. It has dozens of side effects that may or may not be personally acceptable, but that should not be forced on people.

Also there is no set qualifications as to what comprises a flu shot. It is whatever stressed, overworked, rushed researchers throw together each yeah and modified as the season moves one. If you find out what goes into a flu shot in 2008, it could have no components at all in common with the flu shot from this year, so you never really know what they're putting into you. The flu shot and the mandate are simply management response to look good to a world following a media that would love to have something to report so badly they are creating an epidemic. Our small rural hospital dealt with over 12,000 cases of the "flu" last year. 2,168 of them actually tested positive for influenza. The rest had bronchitis, Upper respiratory infections, COPD exacerbations, a few people in DTs, and a food poisoning outbreak at a church dinner. But every one of them was 100% certain they had the flu.

People continue to overreact to the flu and it causes ridiculous paranoia like that, and the rational people are the ones that suffer. Even if I didn't have a bad reaction to flu shots, no one is injecting anything into me that I can't look up the components in a Physicians Desk Reference. And how many of my patients have I given the flu? None. I have not tested positive for actual influenza since high school. That's over ten years of being exposed to every horrific germ out there, 6 menningitis scares, and outbreak of fifth disease in my son's little league team, and an exposure to a strain of C. Diff that the CDC stepped in on. The flu is the least of a healthcare worker's worries, the patient's worries, or the things that should be protected against. It's just the popular one today. There is over 500% more likelihood of contracting MRSA from a hospital than the flu, it is actually lethal to otherwise healthy people, and no one seems too concerned about that.

I applaud those who stood up to the weak-minded management that are business people rather than informed medical personnel making personal decisions for their employees based on media perception rather than actual fact.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

As someone with a currently weakened immune system I'd be pretty mad if I caught the flu because a nurse that was treating me didn't get the shot, was sick, and went in to work. That is irresponsible and putting patients in danger.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

EMTkid wrote:
It's not even a matter of protecting patients. If a person has been infected with the flu less than 48 hours before taking a flu shot, it makes the flu 10 times worse. It has dozens of side effects that may or may not be personally acceptable, but that should not be forced on people.

Also there is no set qualifications as to what comprises a flu shot. It is whatever stressed, overworked, rushed researchers throw together each yeah and modified as the season moves one. If you find out what goes into a flu shot in 2008, it could have no components at all in common with the flu shot from this year, so you never really know what they're putting into you. The flu shot and the mandate are simply management response to look good to a world following a media that would love to have something to report so badly they are creating an epidemic. Our small rural hospital dealt with over 12,000 cases of the "flu" last year. 2,168 of them actually tested positive for influenza. The rest had bronchitis, Upper respiratory infections, COPD exacerbations, a few people in DTs, and a food poisoning outbreak at a church dinner. But every one of them was 100% certain they had the flu.

People continue to overreact to the flu and it causes ridiculous paranoia like that, and the rational people are the ones that suffer. Even if I didn't have a bad reaction to flu shots, no one is injecting anything into me that I can't look up the components in a Physicians Desk Reference. And how many of my patients have I given the flu? None. I have not tested positive for actual influenza since high school. That's over ten years of being exposed to every horrific germ out there, 6 menningitis scares, and outbreak of fifth disease in my son's little league team, and an exposure to a strain of C. Diff that the CDC stepped in on. The flu is the least of a healthcare worker's worries, the patient's worries, or the things that should be protected against. It's just the popular one today. There is over 500% more likelihood of contracting MRSA from a hospital than the flu, it is actually lethal to otherwise healthy people, and no one seems too concerned about that.

I applaud those who stood up to the weak-minded management that are business people rather than informed medical personnel making personal decisions for their employees based on media perception rather than actual fact.

getting the flu shot while you have the flu definitely does NOT make the flu worse. you seem to like to make stuff up. please cite references for your assertions.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

Is this really about personal liberty? We're talking about someone who will be exposed to many illnesses and works with potentially hundreds or thousands of people. It is a matter of personal responsibility. The arguments in favor of "personal liberty" can only go so far before it just becomes unreasonable, head-in-the-sand semantic masturbation. Is it also a matter of personal liberty if the nurse wants to not wear a surgical mask and goggles? Is it a matter of personal liberty if she or he does not want to wash their hands consistently?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:12 pm

The military, nursing home workers (when I volunteered, I had to receive two TB shots), persons who specialize in infectious disease and several relief organizations have a policy on mandatory vaccinations. In certain fields of work, the prevention of disease and its transmission outweigh personal convictions.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Sure, I like to drink a lot. Why should that disqualify me from driving a school bus? Are you saying that my personal freedom is less important than someone else's safety?

Yes, this is an equivalent argument. Of course the nurse has the freedom to refuse the shot - but she must understand that this is also the freedom to find a different field of employment.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

EMTkid wrote:

This is a lot of frothing nonsense. The flu shot does not make the flu worse, and the flu strains in the shot change each year because the flu strains that are infecting people change each year. Which strains are in the shot are well-publicized by the CDC in advance (it takes several months to grow out enough vaccine), and a nurse should be capable of researching the shot to find out which strains are included; for other ingredients, read the effing label!
PDRs are for drugs, not vaccines.

MRSA and CDiff are problems, but protecting patients from the flu, with a vaccine, does not preclude one from washing one's hands between patients. Flu is highly communicable, sometimes fatal, and more dangerous to the pregnant women and immunocompromised patients that tend to hang out in hospitals.

If you won't take such a minor step to protect your patients from even a merely inconvenient infection, much less an occasionally fatal one, you do not belong in healthcare.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

My own personal opinion - - my safety as a patient comes before the personal rights of a caregiver who has the responsibility to keep me from getting sicker.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 9:48 pm

It's her job to take care of patients, and if her employers think that not getting a flu shot puts her patients in danger, then they have every right to fire her for not getting a flu shot.

Saying that she has the freedom to not get a flu shot is every bit as stupid as saying that a truck driver has the freedom to get drunk on the job. In both cases they are doing something that could hurt the people around them.

Also, what about her employer's right to fire her?

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2013, 1:23 am

The flu kills people in hospitals. Choosing not to have a flu shot if you work there is like choosing not to wash your hands or wear a face mask. She can check her personal freedom at the door, like everyone else who has a job.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 4:27 am

i personally count free vaccines as one of the benefits of working in healthcare. If there is ever an outbreak (including the annual outbreak of flu, I'm one of the first round of people to get the vaccine. I could have gotten the anthrax vaccine a few years ago if I had wanted to, but decided not to since my grandma is immunocompromised and I would have had to avoid her for a while.

Another benefit of getting the flu vaccine: knowing that I'm less likely to pass something from my patients on to my grandma.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

When you work somewhere you have to follow some rules. If she was in national security would you be alright if she would not wear a bullet proof vest when protecting you? I think she fishing for a law suit.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm

PM wrote:
I'm not disagreeing, she simply took a stand for her personal liberty by refusing and resigning.

Not so. She was fired.

I have nothing but respect for people who resign in the face of bona fide workplace requirements with which they cannot, in good conscience, comply. But having tried twice to avoid vaccination on medical grounds and once on religious grounds she should then have done the honourable thing and resigned. She did not. She allowed the deadline to come and go.

So my sympathy for her beliefs is exhausted.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

visagrunt wrote:
PM wrote:

Not so. She was fired.

I have nothing but respect for people who resign in the face of bona fide workplace requirements with which they cannot, in good conscience, comply. But having tried twice to avoid vaccination on medical grounds and once on religious grounds she should then have done the honourable thing and resigned. She did not. She allowed the deadline to come and go.

So my sympathy for her beliefs is exhausted.

My apologies, I misread.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:16 am

PM wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

I say she is brave for taking a stand for personal choice.

Goonsquad is correct. Her actions put patients at risk so the correct action was to sack her.

'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few'
Mr Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.