Nurse gives up career after refusing flu shot.

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:16 am

PM wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

I say she is brave for taking a stand for personal choice.

Goonsquad is correct. Her actions put patients at risk so the correct action was to sack her.

'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few'
Mr Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:58 am

PM wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
if she is so dumb she thinks the flu shot will hurt her or if she cares so little for her patients that she doesn't mind giving them a potentially fatal flu, i wouldn't want her taking care of me.

So, in your mind, safety is more important than personal liberty, no?

In my mind you are free to act for yourself as you want, but when you want to be a vegetarian you must not wonder, that you have problems when having a job as meat test eater.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

puddingmouse wrote:
If you're going to stand up for a certain personal liberty, at least do it for one that is worthwhile. I think one does not stand up for liberty as a whole when resigning over something like this - simply because the effect of her actions will be limited to her not having a nursing career. There is no positive outcome from her actions.

She stood up for her liberty and her beliefs by resigning, which she has every right to do. Unless you're saying she should be forced to take the shots anyway, which, er, isn't very liberal at all.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
If you're going to stand up for a certain personal liberty, at least do it for one that is worthwhile. I think one does not stand up for liberty as a whole when resigning over something like this - simply because the effect of her actions will be limited to her not having a nursing career. There is no positive outcome from her actions.

She stood up for her liberty and her beliefs by resigning, which she has every right to do. Unless you're saying she should be forced to take the shots anyway, which, er, isn't very liberal at all.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying she had the right to resign but it was not an effective protest at all.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

Umm... She did not resign. She filed two appeals to keep her job and not take the shot.

Her appeals were denied and she was fired.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying she had the right to resign but it was not an effective protest at all.

We agree, then.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Umm... She did not resign. She filed two appeals to keep her job and not take the shot.

Her appeals were denied and she was fired.

I know. At the time I made the post he quoted, I thought she had resigned.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

Someone's imaginary friend had nothing to do with this case, I hope? Just wondering.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

Goonsquad is correct. Her actions put patients at risk so the correct action was to sack her.

Safety is meaningless if it costs one person any amount of freedom.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

So I should be free to come and swing a club at your head, then? After all, freedom is more important than safety.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

So I should be free to come and swing a club at your head, then? After all, freedom is more important than safety.

Freedom ends when you infringe on the rights of another.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

Yes, particularly the right not to be put at risk of death or serious illness by the actions of others.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

Yes, particularly the right not to be put at risk of death or serious illness by the actions of others.

Still, you have the right to refuse, but assault with a deadly weapon is not a right. Something being forced on you (in this case, a flu shot) is an infringement on your right to have control over your own body, regardless of the safety of others.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:45 am

PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

Still, you have the right to refuse, but assault with a deadly weapon is not a right. Something being forced on you (in this case, a flu shot) is an infringement on your right to have control over your own body, regardless of the safety of others.

And if she had influenza, the patients who she could have passed it on to wouldn't have been able to avoid her, as they would be sick and confined to their beds.
Nothing wrong with refusing in itself, but she shouldn't expect to be allowed around people who are more vulnerable to illness.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:01 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

And if she had influenza, the patients who she could have passed it on to wouldn't have been able to avoid her, as they would be sick and confined to their beds.
Nothing wrong with refusing in itself, but she shouldn't expect to be allowed around people who are more vulnerable to illness.

Of course not, was she right to refuse because of her job? no. The fact of the matter is that he exercised her right to control her own body.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
PM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
PM wrote:

Of course not, was she right to refuse because of her job? no. The fact of the matter is that he exercised her right to control her own body.

And in doing so, breached the terms of her contract with the hospital, if I recall the article correctly. And risked putting vulnerable people in danger.