Did you act differently after finding out you had an ASD?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

LovingTheAlien wrote:
Remember, it is not a bug, it's a feature :-)

Love that!

If I'd known as a child or young adult, who knows if it would've been better? There's an up side and a down side to both early and late diagnosis. At least I'm an adult who has found good people to be around and who could find new people if the ones around me didn't understand. I'm respected, not looked down on, so it won't reinforce the kind of condescension it might've in the past. I would've hated going from, "You disappoint because you're too smart to be failing this way," to, "You disappoint because you're really incompetent to begin with after all."

Still, it's hard. I'm 44, and I got diagnosed last July. I've been spending the time since I began to understand that I might have Asperger's realizing just how much I'd suppressed, denied, ignored, masked, and avoided, as well as what I'd successfully learned to do, manage, compensate for, and work around. Now that I'm facing it and trying to adjust, I'm behaving in some ways that are unfamiliar to people around me. So, once again in my life, I'm not always being what people expect - and what some might even demand, if I'm not careful.

For example, in this thread, I said this:
MindWithoutWalls wrote:
I'm still finding the adjustment of being relatively recently diagnosed somewhat challenging. I was embarrassed the other day, at the doctor's office, concerning some of my issues. I think I might need to switch doctors, if I can, to see one where I see my therapist. I'm tired of worrying that anything I reveal about myself might be seen as a deliberate attempt to put on an unnecessary display. I would normally have fought to educate a doctor in the past (being out as gay and facing some stuff with that). But I just feel tired sometimes these days. Maybe I just want a doctor who knows what's going on and isn't going to be weird about it.

My initial reaction to my eventual diagnosis was relief, coupled with the excitement of confirmation and the door to increased self-understanding being opened. Then I grieved, too, about what this all meant. Now I'm sitting with worry that I'm using it as an excuse for things (just in case I'm failing to push myself hard enough) or that others will think I am (which I wrote something about here) and the embarrassment of letting signs of my Asperger's out that I would formerly have hidden.

I don't feel so much that I have "Aspie pride" as that I see a need for a certain amount of rebelliousness in order to survive. If that means I need to explore stuff, work things out, and sometimes just plain refuse to hide and, therefore, I look like I'm behaving in a "more autistic" way, then so be it. I may get tired of fighting, but there may sometimes be no choice. So, I might as well rise to it as best I can, whenever I can. Let's face it: If I behave in an autistic way, it's because I am autistic. Why should I try to pretend I'm not something when I am? Isn't that the same as trying to pretend I am something that I'm not? How is it better to parade a lie than to admit to a truth? Wouldn't the lie be a much worse "display"?

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
It's been almost a year since I discovered I may have AS. It has been a huge relief in discovering that there's one thing that explains all of my problems.

For me, this has been the best part of this whole AS discovery process. I used to think my quirks and oddities were just...me, but it's great knowing that I'm not the only one who feels and acts the way I do.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm

For me it explained a lot but changed nothing.

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2013, 12:04 am

I'm glad I found this thread, because I was recently accused of "overcompensating" and behaving "more autistic than I am." Though rationally I knew not to take these words to heart, I was shocked and hurt by them all the same. It relieves me to know that this is a normal part of the process. I was starting to question myself and thought I may be sub-consciouslly "putting on an act," and wondered if I needed to be re-restricting my behaviors. Now that I've read this, I am feeling much better about it.

Self-diagnosed for now (though I had several people within a few weeks of each other tell me I should get tested for AS before I decided to read about it,) and it has been about three months since the realization. I am an incredibly self-conscious person, so I have hidden my "traits" from most everyone that knows me, and there were times I felt like I would go absolutely crazy if I didn't allow myself to show them (proven history of this happening back in 2009.) Once the after-glow of realizing I had AS faded (it still catches me off guard every once and a while) I started to loosen up the reigns I was practically choking myself with - my anxiety and mood have been off the charts due to unrelated events, but instead of bottling every feeling or urge as I usually did, I allowed myself to behave "how I do when I'm alone" more often.

Currently saving up the money for an official diagnosis, and I'm beginning to wonder if that next step will cause any further changes in how I present myself. Was it a fairly similar transition?

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 12:14 am

I don't think so. Not that I am aware anyway. :?:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:55 am

rebbieh wrote:
I'm not sure if I have an ASD yet, though I reckon I have good reason to suspect it (also, people I've met who've got an ASD themselves have told me, several times, they're sure I have it). I feel like I have more autistic traits now than before I started suspecting ASD myself (though I obviously still had traits before that). Perhaps I'm just more self-conscious nowadays (I've over-analysed myself like crazy the past year). Perhaps I've just stopped pretending to be someone else. Also, I'm more stressed and anxious nowadays which seems to bring out my ASD traits even more. I don't know. Anyway, I've often been afraid I might be "faking" AS. I know I'd never do it on purpose but that fact that I seem more autistic now than a year ago puzzles me. Reading this thread makes me think it might not be that weird after all. What do you think?

I feel this same way. I just made a determination (no official dx) about 4 months ago. As I read more about ASD -- and I've read A LOT, as information-gathering is I guess a "special interest" -- I started seeing more and more traits that I had that I thought were normal. I was noticing so many -- my mom will sometimes point things out as well -- that I was beginning to think I was "making" myself have some of it. But now I realize that I'm just more aware of it. To be brutally honest, I've felt more "messed up" since I started all this. I used to feel really smart and together. But now that people have pointed out traits, suddenly I feel like I'm confused or mentally challenged in so way. I'll be glad when I get used to ASD and can get some of my self-confidence back. I too have also considered loosening up and stop pretending to be "normal". If I want to wear a feather boa, I should be able to, right? :wink:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

rebbieh wrote:
I'm not sure if I have an ASD yet, though I reckon I have good reason to suspect it (also, people I've met who've got an ASD themselves have told me, several times, they're sure I have it). I feel like I have more autistic traits now than before I started suspecting ASD myself (though I obviously still had traits before that). Perhaps I'm just more self-conscious nowadays (I've over-analysed myself like crazy the past year). Perhaps I've just stopped pretending to be someone else. Also, I'm more stressed and anxious nowadays which seems to bring out my ASD traits even more. I don't know. Anyway, I've often been afraid I might be "faking" AS. I know I'd never do it on purpose but that fact that I seem more autistic now than a year ago puzzles me. Reading this thread makes me think it might not be that weird after all. What do you think?

I feel this same way. I just made a determination (no official dx) about 4 months ago. As I read more about ASD -- and I've read A LOT, as information-gathering is I guess a "special interest" -- I started seeing more and more traits that I had that I thought were normal. I was noticing so many -- my mom will sometimes point things out as well -- that I was beginning to think I was "making" myself have some of it. But now I realize that I'm just more aware of it. To be brutally honest, I've felt more "messed up" since I started all this. I used to feel really smart and together. But now that people have pointed out traits, suddenly I feel like I'm confused or mentally challenged in so way. I'll be glad when I get used to ASD and can get some of my self-confidence back. I too have also considered loosening up and stop pretending to be "normal". If I want to wear a feather boa, I should be able to, right? :wink:

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

AinsleyHarte wrote:
I'm glad I found this thread, because I was recently accused of "overcompensating" and behaving "more autistic than I am." Though rationally I knew not to take these words to heart, I was shocked and hurt by them all the same. It relieves me to know that this is a normal part of the process. I was starting to question myself and thought I may be sub-consciouslly "putting on an act," and wondered if I needed to be re-restricting my behaviors. Now that I've read this, I am feeling much better about it.

My dad recently made a very similar accusation as did some friends. I was also very upset by it. Is it a suprise that during a time of great emotional distress that somebody might display more unusual behaviours? I don't think so. Both accusations were before I got my official diagnosis (less than a month ago).

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 2:11 am

rebbieh wrote:

I relate to this; I've never been officially diagnosed either, but it's the only thing I've come across in my extensive studies that describes me quite so well. After determining that I almost undoubtedly have it, I found myself unconsciously exaggerating my AS symptoms; I started flapping again, something I haven't done since I was 12, and became more withdrawn than usual, all of a sudden I found myself taking seriously things I would have known were sarcasm before, and now I find it hard to tell the difference so I just keep my mouth shut and don't comment. It's been really irritating, feeling like I don't know where the real me ends and the exaggerated me begins, I want to be able to go back to the way I was before I learned about AS, and I'm hoping one of these days I'll be able to. Ever since I learned about Asperger's it's felt like there was this thick pane of glass between me and the rest of the world, when before I never even realised I was all that different from anyone else. I hate feeling so dreadfully isolated.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 2:21 am

Webalina wrote:

I've also read a lot about ASD (it sort of turned in to an obsession/special interest for about 6 months) and I, too, feel more "messed up" now than before I started researching it. I feel more confused. I've always known I'm not "normal" but I haven't been able to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Then I all of a sudden found out about ASD, I found WP and I started relating to people here. That mixed with anxiety telling me I might be "faking" leads to me obsessing about it even more, which leads to me getting even more stressed out which then results in my ASD traits becoming even more visible. I really hope that I'm just more aware of my traits nowadays. The thought of "faking" (which I'd never do on purpose) makes me want to hit my head. Even though people have told me I probably have AS (others have told me they'd be surprised if I do have it) I won't be able to accept it until I've got an official diagnosis.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 2:24 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I relate to this; I've never been officially diagnosed either, but it's the only thing I've come across in my extensive studies that describes me quite so well. After determining that I almost undoubtedly have it, I found myself unconsciously exaggerating my AS symptoms; I started flapping again, something I haven't done since I was 12, and became more withdrawn than usual, all of a sudden I found myself taking seriously things I would have known were sarcasm before, and now I find it hard to tell the difference so I just keep my mouth shut and don't comment. It's been really irritating, feeling like I don't know where the real me ends and the exaggerated me begins, I want to be able to go back to the way I was before I learned about AS, and I'm hoping one of these days I'll be able to. Ever since I learned about Asperger's it's felt like there was this thick pane of glass between me and the rest of the world, when before I never even realised I was all that different from anyone else. I hate feeling so dreadfully isolated.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel except I've always felt different from other people. Do you worry about "faking" as well? I feel like I don't know who I am anymore (though I've never really known that since my whole life has puzzled me). I've never been able to relate to people the way I relate to people here but it still really confuses me.

EDIT: Also, I've never determined "I almost undoubtedly have it". I can't do that. Out of fear for being wrong.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 4:59 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Ever since I learned about Asperger's it's felt like there was this thick pane of glass between me and the rest of the world, when before I never even realised I was all that different from anyone else. I hate feeling so dreadfully isolated.

I can totally relate to this.

I have to say; learning about Asperger's has been a rather jarring experience for me--perhaps the most jarring experience I've ever been through. I mean, I've felt "different" compared to those around me for a long time now, but I still considered myself to be reasonably normal. I wondered about it a few times, but never did I seriously consider the possibility of being autistic. It's been nine full months since I realized I may have AS, and it's still weird to hear myself say, "I may have Asperger's Syndrome. I may be autistic."

It's almost as if almost everything I thought I knew about myself turned out to be wrong.

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2013, 6:03 am

I read Tony Attwood's: The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, and for each page I turned I thought: "OMG, is that a characteristic of AS too?" I thought I had a unique personality, and then it turns out that I just have AS! :-D
I spent a whole day feeling completely devoid of personality. But I have since decided that I do have a unique personality :-)

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2013, 10:22 am

FishStickNick wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Ever since I learned about Asperger's it's felt like there was this thick pane of glass between me and the rest of the world, when before I never even realised I was all that different from anyone else. I hate feeling so dreadfully isolated.

I can totally relate to this.

I have to say; learning about Asperger's has been a rather jarring experience for me--perhaps the most jarring experience I've ever been through. I mean, I've felt "different" compared to those around me for a long time now, but I still considered myself to be reasonably normal. I wondered about it a few times, but never did I seriously consider the possibility of being autistic. It's been nine full months since I realized I may have AS, and it's still weird to hear myself say, "I may have Asperger's Syndrome. I may be autistic."

It's almost as if almost everything I thought I knew about myself turned out to be wrong.

This is exactly how I felt. I knew I was different, but I never stood back and observed how different. I know other people have always seen it, so it's not that I changed because of the diagnosis, it's just that I moved through life without real self-reflection beyond what's going on in my head.

On the positive side, I have found a few coping mechanisms through knowing why things bother me so much.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

Anke wrote:
I think channeling means (I also used do that unconsciously and also don't do it anymore now) when you're talking to somebody, or spending lots of time with them in a work environment etc, you're taking on their mannerisms, their speech patterns etc. Sometimes in a social environment people notice it and think you make fun of them.

I've always used that ability to learn languages. It was funny in Nigeria when I started talking in pidgin English.

Do you mean assimilating?
I thought channeling was a scientific term for the changing of properties..
Assimilating is absorbing things from the mainstream, or other people that we can take on ourselves and thus project.

I read an article once that girls assimilate a lot easier than boys. Do to this fact, its possible they could get missed during diagnosis as they assimilate easily supposedly.

SarahB88
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

jk1 wrote:
arthead wrote:
Diagnosed at 34. Then I stopped trying so hard.

This. I haven't been diagnosed, but I realized that there's no point in trying any more because my brain is fundamentally different from the majority. It will never work.

Now I don't feel too bad about behaving the way I do and even if I'm seen as weird, I have a good reason to be different and I don't care if someone doesn't like my way of being. So, I guess I might have gained a certain level of self-confidence, though I'm still a very insecure person.

Even before I found out the existence of such a thing as AS, I knew there must be something in my brain that was making me so fundamentally different from the others. So, learning about AS explained pretty much everything about the difficulties of my life. I find it so liberating. So, for me it's all positive. Hopefully I can start planning my life a bit better from now on.

I did notice I changed after finding out I had AS, but it was a great change! Everything finally made sense, my entire life came together... All the "problems" I had were no longer problems any longer... All the pretending and trying to be someone else immediately came to an end... I didn't feel like I had to be anything else anymore... Even though I'd spend the last year "discovering" myself, which I really did, but at the same time I was trying to forcibly change these oddities about myself, but noticed I couldn't change them! It kept coming back!

So when I found out about AS, it relaxed me... Brought me peace... It allowed me to be completely myself and not worry about what anyone thought of me...

I also became MORE autistic than before, but only because I relaxed and stopped mimicking "normal" and "channeling" others, as someone put it... It really opened up my eyes to many of my mannerisms and feelings I experienced, and many I had buried because at some point or another I was told it was wrong or was poor behavior, especially in social things... But now, if I'm feeling autistic, I just let it out! It's ok! I'm not "neurotypical", so I won't pretend to be! It's exhausting to do so!

If I feel like I don't want to look anyone in the eyes, then I won't force myself to put myself through that discomfort! If I don't know how to take your attitude or "joke" that feels serious to me, then I probably won't respond or I'll just walk away... If I can't get the right words to come out of my mouth, even though the thoughts are there and in order, I'll just be silent or say that I don't know what to say... If I want to chew my fingers, I'll allow myself.. If loud noises are aggravating my ears or you're talking too loud, I'll go sit by myself... In social scenes, I'll probably be sitting in a corner, or hiding behind my best friend... I spent the majority of my 24 years trying to be something else when I wasn't liked or hiding what I am... I just want to be me, now... It's ok! I have Aspergers!!