Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

unsortable
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

1:18 really annoyed (at the couple)
4:57 exasperated (with the tie-dye lady)
7:02 disgusted (I'm an atheist...)

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm

Great exercise Rascal77s, this is perhaps one of the best threads I've seen on WP. I did realize the actress (Tracy) was really crying at the end, it's happen before on this show when strangers show such great kindness. Alice wasn’t acting and is a remarkable lady and sadly her kind seems very rare. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t moved at the end by the real emotions displayed but my brain was so numb and raging at the same time it was hard to feel any other emotion. I hope Rascal77s that you get to feel that bond one day with someone.

Cheers

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm

hyksos55 wrote:
Great exercise Rascal77s, this is perhaps one of the best threads I've seen on WP. I did realize the actress (Tracy) was really crying at the end, it's happen before on this show when strangers show such great kindness. Alice wasn’t acting and is a remarkable lady and sadly her kind seems very rare. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t moved at the end by the real emotions displayed but my brain was so numb and raging at the same time it was hard to feel any other emotion. I hope Rascal77s that you get to feel that bond one day with someone.

Cheers

Thanks. Nice post :)

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm

uncofortable, frozen and conspicous, slight fear

other than the two sentances from 8:40-8:44 warmth

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2013, 12:05 am

Rascal77s wrote:
I anticipated that people would feel little for the actors because they knew it was acting. I wanted to know whether you guys would recognize when the 'adopting mother' switched from acting to real emotion.

I didn't notice that at first, as I was busy reacting, myself, to the compassion shown to her. It crossed my mind that she would be affected by it, since I would be if I were her. But I didn't realize she was really crying until the interviewer mentioned it.

The whole birth mother changing mind thing didn't affect me because 1) I knew they were acting at that point and 2) I've been through all those feelings before in relation to real life situations that I've read and thought a lot about - I have a personal interest in adoption, because I had adopted siblings.

Most of my negative feelings were empathy for the people in the restaurant who weren't aware it was an act. They looked so uncomfortable - really I think in many cases it ruined their meals. All for a TV show that manipulates viewer emotions. (But at least people who view the TV show expect that - the diners didn't!) So I was angry that it was done to begin with - and I feel those wonderful compassionate people who spoke up were the most manipulated. I didn't like that. But they didn't appear to mind after the fact. I fear that I would have reacted badly to learn it was put on, if I had been them.

Thank you for sharing your thinking behind your thread. Interesting. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:15 am

At the very beginning when it was showing the young adults in the background story, there seemed like there was only selfish needs expressed, so that set the tone for me. When I saw that it was another one of these what would you do shows, I was just ready to analyze the situation, but expected no emotions at all.

When the first lady hugged the pregnant actor I felt an uplifting feeling that this is a good person doing the right thing.

Watching the angry look on the first ladies husband when the actor was yelling at the pregnant girl, gave me a little bit of an angry feeling against the actor

I was a little amused by the second ladies response about seeing the TV show and being inspired to take action by it.

There was so much haughty behavior by the couple, I had a preconceived notion in the final scene that the adopting actress wasn't going to get any sympathy, but realized at the same time that it was a different scene and the pregnant actress was kind of being mean to the adopting actress in that scene, so I thought someone might show sympathy for her.

The last part invoked powerful unexpected emotion in me, that I haven't felt in a long time. I felt tears of joy for the fact that two strangers came up to console the lady. But, I also felt guilty, envious, and angry at myself all at the same time as I reflected back on my life, as I have never been able to show compassion like that for a complete stranger expressing emotional need. And I also felt sad as it brought back memories of all the black people I had known in my life, that seemed to treat me more like a human than most of the white people I knew.

The way the prayer was shared reminded me of an African American Church I visited when young that had a positive energy I had never felt before, that was really sincere unlike what I felt at the other churches I had been too, and made me realize the members of the church had a sense of culture and community that I had never been a part of.

But the most powerful feeling of shared sadness was with the adopting actress, as I was reminded by my own shared emotions with her as a stranger on TV, for the first time in a long time, that I was human, and what it felt like a long, long time ago to really feel alive, and was extremely surprised that I had that kind of emotion left in me. I've experienced most of my emotion in life watching TV, listening to music, and going to movies. That's kind of sad too, in the grand scale of things in life, when some people seem to be experiencing it more so in real time.

Finally, I found the you tube commentary uplifting as the individuals although they were admitted atheists, were able to see that the shared positive emotions associated with the prayer were real and meaningful, regardless of where the origin of the prayers may have come from.

I get the sense if there is a reliable measure of emotional intelligence, that women who worked for Unicef had an EQ that was off the charts, more powerful than any human physical or intellectual strength that I could possibly experience as a human being.

I suspect that some of the admitted atheists in the you tube video commentary could sense that same powerful human attribute in a way in her, that might not have moved them that way if was said by someone else. Some people's public displays of prayers don't seem meaningful to me, but that one did.

Thanks for the topic, it says more about empathy than anything out of a textbook.

Honestly, if it had happened in real life, and I didn't know actors were involved, I might of wanted to get my spouse out of the line of fire, in case a fight broke out, and there were weapons involved. It could have been a pretty volatile situation if one of the men in the restaurant had told the guy to shut up in real life, with the kind of angry emotions that were being displayed.

I've never seen a pubic display of an emotional argument like that in real life in a restaurant. Happens in parking lots more often.

My spouse demonstrates incredible empathy for others, but would have likely been too nervous to get involved to provide the compassionate comfort that was shared. Considering some of those factors, it makes it all that more impressive that people did share the compassionate comfort in the restaurant, to me.

I doubt if the guy had been left sitting at the table crying, anyone would have approached him, except for restaurant management, very cautiously, especially given the overall climate in US culture about public violence, at this time. At least for me over analyzing things, and a cautious risk based analysis, likely results in less potential for compassionate acts for strangers. At least in real life at restaurants.:).

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 8:52 am

aghogday wrote:

Finally, I found the you tube commentary uplifting as the individuals although they were admitted atheists, were able to see that the shared positive emotions associated with the prayer were real and meaningful, regardless of where the origin of the prayers may have come from.

I get the sense if there is a reliable measure of emotional intelligence, that women who worked for Unicef had an EQ that was off the charts, more powerful than any human physical or intellectual strength that I could possibly experience as a human being.

I suspect that some of the admitted atheists in the you tube video commentary could sense that same powerful human attribute in a way in her, that might not have moved them that way if was said by someone else. Some people's public displays of prayers don't seem meaningful to me, but that one did.

Thanks for the topic, it says more about empathy than anything out of a textbook.

Your post is too long for me to comment on everything so I'm going to pick this one part. The commentary from the admitted atheists really stood out for me too. Both atheism and religion require faith and both sides tend to have strong beliefs on this issue. I don't think I've ever seen another video on youtube where atheists and religious people are not verbally trying to kill each other in the comment section. I watched the video before I read any of the comments. I was expecting a lot of negative comments because of the prayer, not so. Isn't it incredible how empathy can override strong beliefs?

There is something special about Alice. She radiates a gentle strength that obviously affects people. There are many people who call themselves Christians but she is one of the best examples of "practice what you preach" that I've personally seen.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Isn't it incredible how empathy can override strong beliefs?

There is something special about Alice. She radiates a gentle strength that obviously affects people. There are many people who call themselves Christians but she is one of the best examples of "practice what you preach" that I've personally seen.

I could imagine if I had attended whatever church she attended I might have ended up calling myself a Christian rather than something similar to a classical pantheist. The area I live in at one point in time was said to have had the most churches per square mile of any community. It was one of the major job producers in the community outside of the military.

I couldn't find much fault in Jesus, but I couldn't find anyone like him in Church, so I found my religion at the beach in the sand, waves, sea breeze, seagulls, and sun.

I never met a self admitted atheist until I went to college. The church taught me to fear anyone outside of it, particularly atheists as they were described as evil, and I guess while I didn't understand the concept of empathy too well, that is what I imagined evil was, a person that had no feelings inside.

I quickly found out that the atheists in college had similar feelings that I experienced, and I wasn't able to hate them like the folks in my community did who stood on the street corners yelling at the "potential" atheists sentencing them to hell for eternity. One of my majors was anthropology; I don't recollect any of my peers or professors mentioning a religious faith. My professor spent many lectures on Christian hating rants.

They all fit in my "pantheist realm of existence", so I didn't feel compelled to spend anytime wasting my efforts on hate.:).

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Anomiel wrote:
Feeling bad for the innocent people involved who did not know it was rigged.

Yes, I feel the same way.

I found the behaviour of Alice very touching though. It makes me hopeful that there really are truly nice people out there, when all those I have encountered so far have been rather cruel.