Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:30 pm

Eloa wrote:
I cannot multitask. Often I cannot even singletask.

I am beginning to realize that “socializing” (ugh, that mere thought of that word sends shivers up my spine) may be the ultimate in multi-tasking.

Think about it. You need to listen to what someone is saying and how they are saying it (i.e. tone). You need to look at them, watching their facial expressions and body language.

You then need to put all of this together, to interpret the message (and supposedly, figure out the emotion that other individual is feeling at that moment in time). It is extra complex, because the content of what was said, the tone for how it was said and the facial expression and body language could conflict. In that case, you need to figure out what the intent of the message is.

If you are with a group of people, this effort becomes multiplicative, because others could have changes in their facial expressions and body language as they listen to what is being said.

Then, you need to put all of this together and then figure out whether and how to respond. And, when responding, somehow your tone, facial expressions and body language should have a “purpose”. All in a split second.

Nope. I cannot multi-task. I don’t even try.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:51 pm

I also cannot multi-task. The above poster is absolutely right that socializing is the ultimate multitasking endeavour. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I've failed at it so much.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:55 pm

Yes, I think you are correct about that. My understanding is that NT people have certain instincts, in regards to social interaction, that allow them to do all of this with relative ease. People on the spectrum do not have these instincts and must process all of it on a conscious level, which is quite taxing.

HaySkyNat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2013, 10:22 pm

For me it really depends on the situation. I find it hard at times because it can be stressfull and "too much" but other times it's not so bad as long as I don't have to do a zillion things at once. What frustrates me is my boyfriend talks too much, eg if I am watching tv or reading something and someone (especially him cos he talks a million miles an hour) I find it hard to concentrate and get very frustrated and have to take a walk or something to get away from too much stimulation etc.