a philogynist 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
a misogynist 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
other (please specify) 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 11:42 am

Winston Wu is one of the internet's most colourful personalities.

Here is his main website: http://www.happierabroad.com/

He is also the founder of The Scientific Committee to Evaluate PseudoSkeptical Criticism of the Paranormal

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/index.php

Anyway, his Happier Abroad website is mostly about encouraging American men to seek romance abroad.

From what appears to be a feminist perspective

http://jezebel.com/5874834/meet-the-web ... n-and-ufos

Jezebel wrote:
...Wu advances (also at great length) a fascinatingly backwards view of the effect of American media on men:
Winston Wu wrote:
Men just want a decent feminine woman with good character and values that will be good to them. They don't need a super model or a high status woman. They couldn't care less about the standards of the fashion or advertising industry. But on the other hand, women generally DO CARE, unfortunately, because they are more conformist in nature and try to live up to the trends and standards of their culture. Thus, since the Western media presents overly high standards for men that few or no men can meet, women's expectations and standards for their "ideal man" have shot up through the roof, while men's standards for women remain relatively unaffected.

The solution to this "epidemic of millions of lonely men in America without choices or options" is "GLOBAL DATING": "in the rest of the 200+ countries of the world, there are countless millions of single available women who are kind, caring, feminine, sincere, sweet, humble with good values, etc. who are just looking for a good man, and will be a good mate or companion to the millions of lonely men in America." Wu's site, Happier Abroad, offers tours, personal ads, and numerous long-winded articles, all of which purport to help single American men experience the transformation Wu says he went through when he discovered international dating and "my dating life skyrocketed from zero to infinity.".....

Within the article referenced above, the "M"-word is invoked a number of times:

Jezebel wrote:
...Wu's ideas about the American dating scene are nothing new — plenty of misogynists have already advanced the theory that American women are entitled shrews and foreign women are beautiful ultra-feminine helpmeets who want nothing more than to cater to a man's every need.

...Of course, suffering racism isn't an excuse for being a misogynist dick. But in Wu's case, it might be part of the explanation.

...What Wu has done is transform an early life of bullying, psychological trauma, and racial oppression into a community of embittered men who feel that they've been wronged by women. For him, this probably looks like success. For us, it's a peek into how the seeds of discontent grow into a giant, creepy misogyny tree.

Jezebel published Winston Wu's response. His answer to the "M"-word is

Winston Wu wrote:
....I am NOT a misogynist at all. I LOVE women. They are my passion. If I didn't, why would I start a movement about finding love and happiness that involves women? Why would I care so much about women? Think about it. It's basic logic.

He does raise a good point.

Is Mr. Wu indeed a misogynist? Or, would he be more accurately described as a philogynist?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

Sounds like a dude who wants more Asian women to marry American men to me. Maybe he sees this benefiting Asia?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm

Here are some photos of Winston Wu, together with some of his acquaintances abroad

ImageImage

ImageImage

And, well, have a look at his rather impressive photo collages 8O

http://www.happierabroad.com/ebook/Collage.htm

He does seem to be quite fond of women.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sounds like a dude who wants more Asian women to marry American men to me. Maybe he sees this benefiting Asia?

He is also into Russian, Ukrainian, and South American women.

The dude does get around.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

People should be free to marry who they want. No pressure to marry anyone in particular. Just whatever makes them happy in life.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

If a man is highly interested in having sex with and being surrounded by a lot of pretty young women, that doesn't mean he loves and respects women as people who have their own personalities, opinions and goals just like he does, it just means he's heterosexual.

That said, I don't think guys like this are necessarily misogynistic, either. They just tend to be blind to their own high standards (only interested in women who are small, pretty, young, and submissive) and stereotype a lot of women negatively because of their own selection bias and they feel intimidated. Men and women both do this to each other a lot.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

I wonder if the M-word gets overused.

For example, was King Solomon, with his personal copulation cabinet of 700 wives and 300 concubines, a misogynist?

Were Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson misogynists?

Are Bill Clinton and Hugh Hefner misogynists?

Is there any man alive who is completely free of misogyny?

Does the world contain any society or nation which is non-misogynistic?

Are most women misogynists?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

mercifullyfree wrote:
If a man is highly interested in having sex with and being surrounded by a lot of pretty young women, that doesn't mean he loves and respects women as people who have their own personalities, opinions and goals just like he does, it just means he's heterosexual.

That said, I don't think guys like this are necessarily misogynistic, either. They just tend to be blind to their own high standards (only interested in women who are small, pretty, young, and submissive) and stereotype a lot of women negatively because of their own selection bias and they feel intimidated. Men and women both do this to each other a lot.

Misogynism is just another ism and schizm meant to divide, like capitalism and communism.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:31 pm

mercifullyfree wrote:

Is there anything to Mr. Wu's observation

Winston Wu wrote:
Men just want a decent feminine woman with good character and values that will be good to them. They don't need a super model or a high status woman. They couldn't care less about the standards of the fashion or advertising industry. But on the other hand, women generally DO CARE, unfortunately, because they are more conformist in nature and try to live up to the trends and standards of their culture. Thus, since the Western media presents overly high standards for men that few or no men can meet, women's expectations and standards for their "ideal man" have shot up through the roof, while men's standards for women remain relatively unaffected.

Do women in America tend to do this more than men?

It is true that people live and think very differently in different countries, and that women may be more accessible in some countries than others.

On the other hand, Winston's female acquaintances certainly aren't ugly, even if he truly doesn't care about the standards of the fashion and advertising industries.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

I always try to see another woman's point of view...

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Well, look carefully at what he wrote. He's claiming that American women's standards are too high because we are apparently "conformist" and just following "culture" and "the media" and painting men as somehow passive victims of all this. However, men and male desires have at least as much influence on culture and media as women. If we're not "hot" enough, we're invisible or a source of mockery, even from many of these guys who are bitter over those pretty little girls who weren't interested in them and claiming American women are stuck up. If we're too "accessible," we're open to being called dirty sluts who "aren't wife material."

I think women do tend to have higher standards in countries that allow them to participate in a more flourishing economy because they don't need to quickly marry a guy who they actually don't really like just to have financial security. That's just practical reality, not Oprah. I do not think men have lower standards. If an older, awkward nerdy or overweight woman who doesn't look too hot is trying to pick up some strapping young dreamboat, she'll probably get laughed at and rejected too. This does not mean that all men are shallow, arrogant and horrible, it means she's going for the wrong type and setting herself up for that failure!

The women in his pictures come off to me as just trophies of pretty young things rather than real relationships with people he has respect for as his equal and I do find it off putting even if it's not misogynistic.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

mercifullyfree wrote:
Well, look carefully at what he wrote. He's claiming that American women's standards are too high because we are apparently "conformist" and just following "culture" and "the media" and painting men as somehow passive victims of all this. However, men and male desires have at least as much influence on culture and media as women. If we're not "hot" enough, we're invisible or a source of mockery, even from many of these guys who are bitter over those pretty little girls who weren't interested in them and claiming American women are stuck up. If we're too "accessible," we're open to being called dirty sluts who "aren't wife material."

I think women do tend to have higher standards in countries that allow them to participate in a more flourishing economy because they don't need to quickly marry a guy who they actually don't really like just to have financial security. That's just practical reality, not Oprah. I do not think men have lower standards. If an older, awkward nerdy or overweight woman who doesn't look too hot is trying to pick up some strapping young dreamboat, she'll probably get laughed at and rejected too. This does not mean that all men are shallow, arrogant and horrible, it means she's going for the wrong type and setting herself up for that failure!

The women in his pictures come off to me as just trophies of pretty young things rather than real relationships with people he has respect for as his equal and I do find it off putting even if it's not misogynistic.

There was one pic Arrant posted of Wu with a woman that wasn't particularly attractive imo.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:18 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
There was one pic Arrant posted of Wu with a woman that wasn't particularly attractive imo.

The Blonde girl?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I always try to see another woman's point of view...

So do I. I stand right behind her and then try to look down her chest before she notices my gaze.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The Blonde girl?

I wouldn't mind having a go on the fourth girl. The lucky git.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

Now that I've thought about it a bit: Jezebel is a feminist website, so of course they are going to use the M-word wherever possible. Feminist readers expect it. It doesn't really mean anything.

If a Communist website had written an article about Mr. Wu, then he would have been labeled as "Bourgeouis" every other sentence, even though the term "Bourgeouis" really doesn't mean anything any more, and probably didn't mean anything when Karl Marx was still alive.

If Fox News had written the article, then Mr. Wu would be called a "Liberal" every other sentence.