a philogynist 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
a misogynist 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
other (please specify) 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 9:46 pm

I wouldn't go to all that trouble just to get laid, Arrant, it's the different between men and women. If I could have an experience that was professional, therapeutic and safe I might consider it but it would have to be with someone I am extremely comfortable with which lets out the majority of people. I wouldn't waste my money on the sleazebag side of it though and would never consider being a sexual tourist that just sounds bizarre and something a guy would do.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 2:57 am

I don't have every value I have and do everything I do because of feminism. It actually has little to do with why I would never pay for sex.

I know myself well enough to know that I won't ever pay for sex, like how I know I'm not neurotypical. I'm a complicated person, but some things about me are obvious and lifelong.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

WP ladies possess absolutely impeccable morals. :wink:

However, Feminists do seem to have a knack for getting around moral issues through creative nuances of vocabulary.

http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/800/1/WRAP_Sa ... urists.pdf

Jacqueline Sánchez Taylor wrote:
The behaviour of ‘First World’ women who travel to poor countries for sex with local men is generally interpreted in a very different way from that of ‘First World’ men who engage in the same practices. The tourist woman who buys meals and gifts for her local sexual partner is enjoying a ‘romance’, not using a prostitute. In academic studies as well as journalistic accounts, traditional notions of essential gender identity often inform an interpretation of the tourist women as passive innocents,‘used’ by local men who are actively seeking money, a ticket off the island and maybe love, as well as sexual experience. Thus they have been sympathetically described as ‘lonely women’ whose ‘economic and social ability to travel alone is being exploited by Caribbean tourism’ and by the ‘beach boys’ who offer the possibility either of a ‘holiday romance’ or ‘sexual harassment’ (Momsen 1994:116). Indeed, few studies refer to the phenomenon of ‘female sex tourism’, but prefer instead the term ‘romance tourism’ (Dahles and Bras 1999; Momsen 1994; Pruitt and LaFont 1995; Meisch 1995). Some even suggest that ‘romance tourism’ has positive features, in that it supposedly provides a space for challenging traditional gender roles:
Pruitt and LaFont, 1995 wrote:
Whereas sex tourism serves to perpetuate gender roles and reinforce power relations of male dominance and female subordination, romance tourism in Jamaica provides an arena for change. By drawing on their respective traditional gender models as well as their imaginings and idealisations of each other and new possibilities the partners in these relationships explore new avenues for negotiating femaleness and maleness.

See? When men do it, it is "bad." When women do it, it is "good."

By giving a boy meals and gifts, a Feminist is enjoying a "romance", and not paying for coitus. Her conscience is perfectly clear. No "perpetuating gender roles and reinforcing power of male dominance and female subordination" is involved. Plus, they're "using their imaginings and idealisations to explore new avenues for negotiating femaleness and maleness." What could possibly be more wholesome? :wink:

Last edited by ArrantPariah on 07 Nov 2013, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

LKL wrote:
A friend of mine is contemplating going to The Gambia for work (with her family), and she says that a huge part of the economy there is elderly women from the British Isles going there for sex tourism. She says you'll see obese 70-something women in the airports with young men who look like olympic athletes hanging all over them.

I don't get that any more than I get it when it's a Rush Limbaugh-type with 16 year old girls in Thailand.

The gender differences in what the sex tourists are seeking are quite fascinating.

Typically, a male sex tourist goes to Thailand in search of a sweet, petite, submissive, diminutive feminine woman with a nice pair of buns and a slender waist.

The ladies seem to be looking for the big, athletic, alpha-dog types who could be the captain of a rugby team. No wimpy betas for them: far too many of them back home.

Which seems that it could easily get rather dangerous for the frail, elderly female sex tourist, if the gigolo's temper flared up.

Which: okay, I can see why masturbation might be the preferred solution for some.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

It could be scientific, Arrant, the science of feeling good, and it can apply to both men and women. I envision these wonderful places, sorta like palaces only not as big and elaborate, just as inviting and opulent, very warm and cozy, too, with the right fragrance so people feel relaxed and instantly at home there. It can be a therapeutic place, kinda like a spa, to see to people's physical and psychological well being without any stupid bs or illegal activity. Actually, it might work better for women because they are more straight forward about what they like while men can get into weirder things. It would be nice to create a legal oasis for women where they can relax in a clean, safe environment and not feel all weird and sleazy, but just feel good.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't have every value I have and do everything I do because of feminism. It actually has little to do with why I would never pay for sex.

I know myself well enough to know that I won't ever pay for sex, like how I know I'm not neurotypical. I'm a complicated person, but some things about me are obvious and lifelong.

Sorry, but I just can't help imagining you, 30 years from now, relaxing on a tropical beach, with one handsome young man gently massaging your feet, whilst another lovingly peels grapes and feeds them to you. :wink:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It could be scientific, Arrant, the science of feeling good, and it can apply to both men and women. I envision these wonderful places, sorta like palaces only not as big and elaborate, just as inviting and opulent, very warm and cozy, too, with the right fragrance so people feel relaxed and instantly at home there. It can be a therapeutic place, kinda like a spa, to see to people's physical and psychological well being without any stupid bs or illegal activity. Actually, it might work better for women because they are more straight forward about what they like while men can get into weirder things. It would be nice to create a legal oasis for women where they can relax in a clean, safe environment and not feel all weird and sleazy, but just feel good.

You've watched Emmanuelle 2?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1X7kwfwcXA[/youtube]

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:32 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Sorry, but I just can't help imagining you, 30 years from now, relaxing on a tropical beach, with one handsome young man gently massaging your feet, whilst another lovingly peels grapes and feeds them to you. :wink:

Whilst thinking I'm a fat slag and wanting to steal my purse. No thanks.

I'm thinking maybe I'll have a girlfriend once I stop being less attractive than 99% of women my age. By 50 or so, a lot of them will catch up to me in the ugly stakes and maybe some of the lezzers will be more open-minded about me being bi, since they'd have seen more of life. That or I'll drink, a lot.*

*this is self-effacing humour

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 7:14 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Whilst thinking I'm a fat slag and wanting to steal my purse. No thanks.

I'm thinking maybe I'll have a girlfriend once I stop being less attractive than 99% of women my age. By 50 or so, a lot of them will catch up to me in the ugly stakes and maybe some of the lezzers will be more open-minded about me being bi, since they'd have seen more of life. That or I'll drink, a lot.*

*this is self-effacing humour

The problem is, they think terrible things about young, skinny ladies, too. People with bad attitudes will think terrible things no matter what. It's just part of being an unhappy human. Very few people really enjoy the work they have to do to survive and what they like doing the most, they can't' make money at so it just becomes a hobby. Or, you could just find a fat, ugly older man at such a place and if has the audacity to think that about you, you can get even by thinking the same about him. That sounds like a solid plan.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 8:48 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Or, you could just find a fat, ugly older man at such a place and if has the audacity to think that about you, you can get even by thinking the same about him. That sounds like a solid plan.

Well, I think that this sometimes happens after 30 years of marriage. No need even to plan for it. :wink:

Oh, wait a minute. You're talking about going to one of those female sex tourist places to hook up with a fat, ugly old man?

Well, how about an aging, one-legged Reggae artist?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQYRELI7hY[/youtube]

I suspect that the obesity rates aren't especially high for old men in those places.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 8:55 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Those Jamaican gigolos are notoriously bad in bed. All big penis and no idea what to do with it.

According to The Jamaica Observer (of course)

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazine ... y_14043757

Recent research proves that the ladies do like 'em big!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

I said find a fat ugly old man lol. He probably wouldn't require any payment.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 1:23 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
WP ladies possess absolutely impeccable morals. :wink:

However, Feminists do seem to have a knack for getting around moral issues through creative nuances of vocabulary.

http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/800/1/WRAP_Sa ... urists.pdf

Jacqueline Sánchez Taylor wrote:
The behaviour of ‘First World’ women who travel to poor countries for sex with local men is generally interpreted in a very different way from that of ‘First World’ men who engage in the same practices. The tourist woman who buys meals and gifts for her local sexual partner is enjoying a ‘romance’, not using a prostitute. In academic studies as well as journalistic accounts, traditional notions of essential gender identity often inform an interpretation of the tourist women as passive innocents,‘used’ by local men who are actively seeking money, a ticket off the island and maybe love, as well as sexual experience. Thus they have been sympathetically described as ‘lonely women’ whose ‘economic and social ability to travel alone is being exploited by Caribbean tourism’ and by the ‘beach boys’ who offer the possibility either of a ‘holiday romance’ or ‘sexual harassment’ (Momsen 1994:116). Indeed, few studies refer to the phenomenon of ‘female sex tourism’, but prefer instead the term ‘romance tourism’ (Dahles and Bras 1999; Momsen 1994; Pruitt and LaFont 1995; Meisch 1995). Some even suggest that ‘romance tourism’ has positive features, in that it supposedly provides a space for challenging traditional gender roles:
Pruitt and LaFont, 1995 wrote:
Whereas sex tourism serves to perpetuate gender roles and reinforce power relations of male dominance and female subordination, romance tourism in Jamaica provides an arena for change. By drawing on their respective traditional gender models as well as their imaginings and idealisations of each other and new possibilities the partners in these relationships explore new avenues for negotiating femaleness and maleness.

See? When men do it, it is "bad." When women do it, it is "good."

By giving a boy meals and gifts, a Feminist is enjoying a "romance", and not paying for coitus. Her conscience is perfectly clear. No "perpetuating gender roles and reinforcing power of male dominance and female subordination" is involved. Plus, they're "using their imaginings and idealisations to explore new avenues for negotiating femaleness and maleness." What could possibly be more wholesome? :wink:

I don't think it has to do so much with the genders involved, as it does with the voluntary nature of the natives in question and the semi-long term (i.e. more than half an hour) duration of the 'relationship.' There's a big difference between a man who goes to Bangladesh and gets scoped out by a young woman at a bar, who then sexes him up for the week while receiving locally-expensive gifts from him (still 'romance tourism,' even though its a first-world guy), and a man who goes to Bangladesh and uses an unwilling, underage prostitute who was sold to a pimp by her parents in order to pay off their loan sharks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 1:29 am

You can tell Puddingmouse, and all other WP ladies, that I work pro bono!

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 3:54 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I said find a fat ugly old man lol. He probably wouldn't require any payment.

Fat, ugly men still feel entitled to beautiful young women a lot of the time - but I wouldn't turn down a man with a sense of realism and a lack of shallowness.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 9:41 am

LKL wrote:
I don't think it has to do so much with the genders involved, as it does with the voluntary nature of the natives in question and the semi-long term (i.e. more than half an hour) duration of the 'relationship.' There's a big difference between a man who goes to Bangladesh and gets scoped out by a young woman at a bar, who then sexes him up for the week while receiving locally-expensive gifts from him (still 'romance tourism,' even though its a first-world guy), and a man who goes to Bangladesh and uses an unwilling, underage prostitute who was sold to a pimp by her parents in order to pay off their loan sharks.

The woman who scopes out her prey on the beach is probably also using her earnings to pay off her parents' debts. And, a lot of them probably entered the industry as teenagers in local brothels.

For the ladies, it would probably be safest if the gigolos were employed directly by the hotel, and if they chose the one(s) they wanted from a lineup. But, I think that ladies often prefer a Some Enchanted Evening type of fantasy with a random beach boy. Which could end up being riskier, even if it satisfies Feminist exigencies.