Hate crime statistics deflate "Islamophobia" myth

Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Who fears here that they will be mistaken by some Muslims for a lamb and sacrificed for Eid?

Do we get a choice in whether we're sacrificed or not?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

anongamer wrote:
That's the whole point, salad. (Using iPad atm so quoting is a pain to delete)

I want to stop obsessively researching them, trying to find faults in their religion etc. it's like an addiction, and while they are around me that's what I will do.

I know it's not them, it's me. It's irrational. But all I can do (in my mind) is move somewhere they are not.

The trick is to separate them from their religion (which I admit is hard when some of them try to make it seem like they are one and the same). I strongly dislike Islam. As for Muslims, I go off how they treat other people - they're all different in that regard, like all people are. A lot of them are good people in spite of their faith. I even go as far as assuming most of them are good people.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
The trick is to separate them from their religion (which I admit is hard when some of them try to make it seem like they are one and the same).

Exactly - it seems like their religion (and sometimes making a nuisance of themselves using their religion) is the only thing some of them live for. They're like the obnoxious Christian obsessives of centuries ago, and obout as likeable.

I would never treat all Muslims as bad people - I try to take them as I find them. There are some golden lads (and lassies) in there, as well as people struggling on (and in some cases struggling). I strongly sympathise with some of the reformist Muslims, as I can really sympathise with them and I can see what they're trying to do, but it's not convincing enough, even though they seem like excellent people (and I'd have them round any time).

I think a lot of Muslims, especially the women and gay ones, really deserve sympathy and kind words rather than to be despised or hated.

puddingmouse wrote:
I strongly dislike Islam.

I know you're not a fan of Wilders (and neither am I, entirely) but he has a point when he says: "I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam." - I understand his point, but 'hate' is a very strong word.

puddingmouse wrote:
As for Muslims, I go off how they treat other people - they're all different in that regard, like all people are. A lot of them are good people in spite of their faith. I even go as far as assuming most of them are good people.

Indeed. It's better to be honest, open and kind when dealing with all people. You can work out who the vermin are and avoid them as you go.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
anongamer wrote:

I want to stop obsessively researching them, trying to find faults in their religion etc. it's like an addiction, and while they are around me that's what I will do.

I know it's not them, it's me. It's irrational. But all I can do (in my mind) is move somewhere they are not.

The trick is to separate them from their religion (which I admit is hard when some of them try to make it seem like they are one and the same). I strongly dislike Islam. As for Muslims, I go off how they treat other people - they're all different in that regard, like all people are. A lot of them are good people in spite of their faith. I even go as far as assuming most of them are good people.

The western media has a lot to answer for in how we subconciously perceive muslims. We invade their countries, and afterwards make movies about them being foaming mouthed terrorist fanatics that hijack planes then they go and do the latter because of the former. Its a self fulfilling stereotype.

Josef Goebells ministry of propaganda was extremely successful at doing exactly the same against Jews. It is a powerful weapon. Especially when the ones weilding that weapon are doing so under the false flag of tolerance, secularism and open mindedness.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 13 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

thomas81 wrote:
We invade their countries

Don't worry - they're busily invading ours.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 6:07 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

What, in a nasty send over amphibious vessels full of troops and tanks sort of way or in a BNP paranoid "kick out the immigrants" sort of way?

My deviant art profile

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Josef Goebells ministry of propaganda was extremely successful at doing exactly the same against Jews. It is a powerful weapon. Especially when the ones weilding that weapon are doing so under the false flag of tolerance, secularism and open mindedness.

If there is a media bias against Muslims (which there may well be), I doubt it's anything as orchestrated as the propaganda campaigns of Goebbels.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:03 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
If there is a media bias against Muslims (which there may well be), I doubt it's anything as orchestrated as the propaganda campaigns of Goebbels.

I think there's a media/government bias that tries to excuse, ignore or try to hush up crimes committed by Muslims for the sake of "community cohesion", but some of the tabloids don't help matters with their ill-informed, unfocused coverage on Islam.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

Most muslims arent going to commit hate crimes against non muslims its the radicals and the loud ones that do. I live in a very diverse area and we have a lot of muslims here but they are usually pretty kind and humble and a lot will agree with disagreeing with radical islam.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Its more covert and subtle. Which in a way makes it more effective.

My deviant art profile

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

Radical Muslims on the otherhand do support this kind of garbage though![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emMrn9ja5iU[/youtube]Most muslims immigrate to the west not to take over but to escape the tyranny and abuse that goes on back in their home country.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

salad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

What, in a nasty send over amphibious vessels full of troops and tanks sort of way or in a BNP paranoid "kick out the immigrants" sort of way?

Where are the smart rational people in this world like you when we need them, finally a rational mind that thinks outside the propaganda machines brainwashing myths.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

salad wrote:
Where are the smart rational people in this world like you when we need them, finally a rational mind that thinks outside the propaganda machines brainwashing myths.

How about neither of those two things he mentioned? I would never want to kick Muslims (full UK citizens) out of the country but equally I want mass immigration to be halted.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Radical Muslims on the otherhand do support this kind of garbage though![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emMrn9ja5iU[/youtube]Most muslims immigrate to the west not to take over but to escape the tyranny and abuse that goes on back in their home country.

Most of the things the TV says the Taliban have committed are certainly not in the Islamic Sunnah. Example: Women can't have jobs, women have no right to education, etc. are cultural rules. In Islam God guarantees women both rights. I evaluate Islam as a Muslim by the Sunnah (traditions and narrations) of the Prophet (PBUH) rather than current political affairs occurring in this day of age. The lack of credibility and unreliability that the media presents is too hard to judge Islam from, so the only way I know to debate is by the Quran and Sunnah, not politics and what's going on today or in history..

salad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
anongamer wrote:

Why can't you assume that the good Muslims are like that BECAUSE of their faith, and the bad ones are like that because they don't PROPERLY follow their faith?? Think of it like that.

anongamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

I'm starting to read its not just me around here (Sydney). NTs feel the same way here too.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/terrorism-fea ... 2cpoy.html

Quote:
'We know there are some people who tend to think about it a lot, and that's people with a higher background level of anxiety, and people in certain demographic groups,'' said Mr Stevens, a clinical psychologist and lecturer at the University of Western Sydney.

Quote:
Nearly 14 per cent of people sometimes avoid public places and events because of fear of terrorist attacks, a study has found.
About one in 20 has changed their use of public transport in recent times and one in five has deferred or changed plans for overseas travel.

If NTs can't deal with it, what chance is there for an aspie with fewer mechanisms for coping with anxiety?

The article states it is a health issue, as I thought all along. It's not healthy worrying about it every day and thinking every south asian/middle eastern person you see on the street is a potential terrorist. Hence my wish to move somewhere else (which has none or very few of them).

I mean all the time, and a lot of people here do it. Sit within observable distance of the south asian/middle eastern person on a bus/train and make sure they don't fiddle with their bag or any objects. And get the hell out of there if they do or report them to the driver/police.

Quote:
The study found 45 per cent of people had either moderately or extremely increased vigilance for suspicious behaviours, while nearly 40 per cent had learnt their building's evacuation plan and 20 per cent had an emergency family contact plan.

I'd really rather look out the window/read or do something else that is anxiety free. But while they are there I can't. I am that gripped by fear.

Oh the government ads don't help. They portray just that, a middle eastern/south Asian person on public transport fiddling with something with the caption "Report all Suspicious Activity" only fuelling my fear. And everyone ever charged with homegrown terrorism offences is of middle eastern/south Asian decent.