Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

meems
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 3:08 am

Can we work together on something like that for this sub-forum?

I have no idea where to start but FalsettoTesla, visagrunt, Rorberyllium,(hope it's OK I named y'all) are some people who come to mind at the moment that might have a better idea than me of how to do this but I'm hoping for anyone and everyone who wants to contribute to do so.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 4:27 am

I'm more than willing to help/write up a FAQ. Probably important topics in the FAQ would be 1) Why are people gay/bi/trans? 2) If a person a x gender has intercourse with a trans person of x gender are they gay? 3) Am I gay/bi/trans?

But by no means limited to that. Anyone have more things to add?

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2013, 5:39 am

a lot of common questions about transgender's, I see Rorberyllium telling people off every once in a while.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 7:05 am

FalsettoTesla wrote:
I'm more than willing to help/write up a FAQ. Probably important topics in the FAQ would be 1) Why are people gay/bi/trans? 2) If a person a x gender has intercourse with a trans person of x gender are they gay? 3) Am I gay/bi/trans?

But by no means limited to that. Anyone have more things to add?

One thing I'm somewhat clueless about(and I think the majority of people are pretty ignorant of, including a lot of people in the LGBTQ community) is issues trans people face. And I think it's a learning process for me, and it's probably not something I can help with answers to but the questions, I think I could be asking some myself.

And one of the things I think is important to provide information/links here to trans youth especially. In the U.S. there is a ridiculous rate of homelessness among trans people as compared to the general population because it's completely legal for public housing and shelters to refuse placement to people based on their gender identity and it happens constantly. I think the higher rates are connected to kids being kicked out of their homes when their parents reject them/their identity, then they end up turned away from shelters or forced to live as the wrong gender in a shelter.

But I think sometimes I mess up what seems like very basic and easy information when I think about it, where I'll use the wrong pronoun and I feel like an ass because it's not meant out of disrespect but it makes me cringe when I try to think about how much a person probably does face intentional disrespect on a regular basis and I should be more thoughtful when I'm communicating with people.

So a FAQ feels like a possible learning experience for me as well as something I can contribute to.

One thing I hear a lot in some places is "Why do trans people want to be a guy/girl" and I can't answer it that well but I think it's something people should know is not like a situation where someone wants to be another gender but rather they ARE that gender, it's not like a decision, I don't know how to word it.

I maybe should wait until I've slept to post this but I wrote it so... I hope this makes sense!

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

I wasn't aware I'd developed a reputation. :oops:

But yeah, I'd be willing to contribute what I can regarding trans* and intersex stuff.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

I am happy to help in any way that I can.

I suggest that we try and keep an FAQ as simple and factual as possible. I do this for two reasons: First, the subject is enormously complex, and no FAQ can ever pretend to be comprehensive. Second, I would not like to see us create a tool that's used to put off discussion.

So a question like, "What is the 'T' in LGBT?" is a great question, and can prompt a good paragraph on how broad a spectrum "T" covers. But a question like, "What are the issues that trans people face?" seems to me to be properly the subject of a thread (actually many threads) within the forum.

I suggest an FAQ with a bunch of definitions, and a few questions to make it clear that this is a forum open to the widest range of honest, respectful questions. Questions to which no one knows the answer (such as, "Why are people gay?") probably shouldn't be in an authoritative document like an FAQ.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:24 am

visagrunt wrote:

I suggest that we try and keep an FAQ as simple and factual as possible. I do this for two reasons: First, the subject is enormously complex, and no FAQ can ever pretend to be comprehensive. Second, I would not like to see us create a tool that's used to put off discussion.

So a question like, "What is the 'T' in LGBT?" is a great question, and can prompt a good paragraph on how broad a spectrum "T" covers. But a question like, "What are the issues that trans people face?" seems to me to be properly the subject of a thread (actually many threads) within the forum.

I suggest an FAQ with a bunch of definitions, and a few questions to make it clear that this is a forum open to the widest range of honest, respectful questions. Questions to which no one knows the answer (such as, "Why are people gay?") probably shouldn't be in an authoritative document like an FAQ.

I think the why are people gay question should be in there, because it is a frequently asked question. The answer should just be 'nobody knows'. :P

meems
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

visagrunt wrote:

I specifically wanted to request your involvement because you are erudite and so well-reasoned and I think you help to balance threads out a lot of the time, and I just think your input is valuable in general.(sorry if I seem like I'm starting a fan club haha)

I think it's important to compile some sort of resource list and I will be writing way more now that I have a computer again. Especially trans youth, I think, need all the help they can get in most societies, and I think there could be a separate thread for that which... if we make one, I'm going to beg the mods to sticky it.

But on the subject of a FAQ for general LGBTQ questions, I think it would be good to explain some basic vocabulary and meanings, and maybe clarification that everyone is welcome in this sub-forum. I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm overstepping when I talk about stuff like this.

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2013, 5:22 am

I want to be female because I'll kill myself if I can't be. Everything around me reminds me that I'm male, and it causes me a lot of pain.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

meems wrote:
But on the subject of a FAQ for general LGBTQ questions, I think it would be good to explain some basic vocabulary and meanings, and maybe clarification that everyone is welcome in this sub-forum.
I think this is a great idea.
Let me know when you have something ready to go and I'll gladly make it a sticky.
I'll act as the "house editor" for it too, if that's Ok, because of the 7-day post edit window applying to members' accounts.