How do you get your exercise or routine exercise, if any?

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

I just have to go to rugby practice and I'm usually set. :tired:

DarkSkies
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2013, 5:19 am

Treadmill, rowing machine, kettlebell exercises

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

DVD aerobics and/or DVD yoga. When the weather is nice I like to walk and jog outside.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2013, 9:24 pm

I try to exercise every day. I've been better at exercising every day this month. I run at least 2 miles on the treadmill, sometimes up to three miles. On St. Patrick's day, since the gym was pretty empty, I ran for 5 miles. I like to get on the exercise bike and do that for around 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I use the rowing machine. Lately, I've been lifting weights for my upper body every second day. I prefer to use the machines for biceps, chest, and back. Use free weights for triceps and occasionally bench press if that part of the gym is not too crowded. If the gym is closed on holidays, I run outside. Thinking about getting a DVD program like insanity, p90x, or maybe ddp yoga. Not too interested in classes that the gym offers, like spinning classes or yoga. As someone with Aspergers, I like working out by myself. And I have hyperhidrosis, which is excessive sweating. So I always sweat on the equipment at the gym and feel like people are staring at me or intentionally ignoring me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 2:24 am

^^^
i hope you can take some cold comfort from the knowledge that you're not the only one with hyperhydrosis :oops:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 4:41 am

I've been getting back into more exercise again. I had about two months off sick & dealing with family stuff.

Last Spring I was working a physical job, so that was good exercise. Then I did the Tough Mudder in Whistler. I took up running more after that. I did a lot of hiking in the mountains in August, covering 40km/day every Saturday w/ a Yoga class near the top of the mountain. I ride my mountain bike sometimes. I've continued running and have a 7km circuit I run around the neighbourhood, I'd like to get back to running it at least 3x/week. I also continue to do basic Yoga & pushups, and intend to add a few more simple bodyweight exercises. It won't take long now to get in as lean and limber of shape as I was in 2 months ago, and then better it & get in really good shape.

My current fitness goal, with no particular deadline, is to get back up to 200lbs again - but at 10%bf or less. Then maintain it while getting my cardio up to being able to run a 6 minute mile at 200lbs+ at 10%bf or less. If I obsess over it, I think I can pull this off sometime this Summer.

If funds & time allow, I might do the Tough Mudder again this Summer. I'll be in way better shape and would get a much faster time for sure. I'm also interested in doing the Color Me Rad 5Km run just for fun, and possibly an annual 10Km sponsored by one of the biggest local newspapers - but I haven't committed to any of these due to a current, temporary, lack of discretionary income to spend.

Once I have my drivers licence and wheels again (Soon!) I'm kinda hoping I don't have as much time to go for runs and such and that on days off, the weather cooperates and I get throw my gear in the car & book it down to the beach and get back to kiteboarding again - one of my ultimate favourite special interests ever, that I haven't done much of at all for a few rough years now. It's going to be absolute bliss to get back to the water on a sunny day & surf along the sea in complete weightless balance and harmony while harnessed to a giant kite I'm piloting in the wind... the most awesome sensation in existence, the perfect blend of physics & hippy stuff what with the motion of the ocean and the energy of waves and wind, wing designs, boards, tack angles, feeling everything & adjusting on the fly vs. calculating and pre-programming robotic action responses.. 8) And in my dream world I'd have more sporting goods and toys to play with than I already do (I do have a fair amount already), and eventually that will include a paddle board so I have something to do at the beach when the wind dies. I'd also like to learn more Yoga, and then practice doing it on the paddle board for a very intense balance & core workout.

But for now I'll just do my simple workouts, stretches, pushups & go running outside whenever it's not too rainy - otherwise I'll hit the treadmill for a bit.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

Venger wrote:
I go to a 24 hr. gym around 11-12 at night about three times a week. I do heavy weightlifting and some running on the treadmill for cardio afterwards. Gyms that are always open are perfect for people with AS to go to late at night when hardly anybody is around, but I haven't seen many people on Wrong Planet who say that they're members at 24 hr. gyms strangely enough. :?

I go to 24hour fitness, I'd hate it if I walked all the way to the gym and they were closed. I usually walk to school and go to the gym on the way to and from school. There isn't much structure to what I do, just work core muscles and get 30 min of cardio.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

I have a 24hr gym membership, too. I also have a plethora of exercise dvd's...from Zumba,and weight training to HIT workouts and yoga. I haven't been able to workout much lately, so I'm really going to feel it later.. :mrgreen:

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

SPtread wrote:
And I have hyperhidrosis, which is excessive sweating. So I always sweat on the equipment at the gym and feel like people are staring at me or intentionally ignoring me.

This is one of the reasons I currently don't have any sort of exercise routine as I hate exercising around other people because of how much I sweat. I don't like feeling sweaty, it makes me feel gross, and if I feel gross and there are other people around me I get very self conscious. My friends have commented on it when we go bowling and I don't need attention drawn to it but I tolerate it there because bowling is fun enough but I don't do that often enough to help with anything. But around strangers I just wouldn't work out enough because I would be trying to keep from sweating a lot. So right now I am trying to figure out what sort of exercise I can do by myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

^^^
try swimming, that is perfect for us sweaty types. :thumleft: i used to swim miles most nights, it was a great stress reliever and kept me hellafit. it's a great exercise, non-jarring, the water feels so nice as it flows past.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:21 pm

walk, walk, walk,,,

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
walk, walk, walk,,,

upilll is best.

Mukherjee80
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

I need to start walking to work and taking up exercise classes. I think that's the only way I'm going to force myself into an exercise routine.
I would probably hire a personal trainer if I could afford it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

Mukherjee80 wrote:
I need to start walking to work and taking up exercise classes. I think that's the only way I'm going to force myself into an exercise routine.
I would probably hire a personal trainer if I could afford it.

I find the greatest motivation is having a "WHY?" reason that's bigger than yourself. If there's a REASON why you're wanting to get into better shape, it's so much easier to keep that in mind - like a mantra - while you go through the process of doing it. Works for me, anyways.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

trust me, everybody- you will FEEL better when you are in reasonably fit shape. you will like your reflection in the mirror MUCH BETTER. 8) you will enjoy the way clothing fits loosely upon your frame. you will move about much more gracefully.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

I go running and cycling but irregularly and without a schedule, I just do it when I feel like it and have the time. Sometimes I just go walking as a form of light exercise and as a de-stressor.