Why do yall cal other people with neurological disorders NT?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CrashBandicoot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

A lot of you consider everyone who isn't an aspie/ASD to be NT, even those with other types of mental conditions. I remember reading a post that said "Well maybe your just a NT with adhd". How are people with adhd and any other kind of nuerological disorder neurotypicals?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 1:18 am

CrashBandicoot wrote:
A lot of you consider everyone who isn't an aspie/ASD to be NT, even those with other types of mental conditions. I remember reading a post that said "Well maybe your just a NT with adhd". How are people with adhd and any other kind of nuerological disorder neurotypicals?

People with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Schizophrenia (there's no way that they are neurotypical), Bipolar Disorder, Personality Disorders, Multiple Personality Disorder, Oppositianal Defiant Disorder, Intellectual Disabilities, Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy (this can be a physical or a mental disability), learning disabilities, Short Term Memory Loss, Blindness, Deafness, Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or any other kind of disability are in no way 'neurotypical'. People with Autism or with Asperger's Syndrome just prefer to refer to non-Autistic people as 'neurotypical'. I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and I am in no way neurotypical. It often can mean (depending on the person) a person who just isn't on the Autistic spectrum.

CrashBandicoot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2013, 1:24 am

Sry I thought my othewr post didn't get through. I had trouble finding it and I couldn't find where my post were listed on my page. a mod can delete this.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:37 am

Quote:
Deja vu

8O

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:11 am

CrashBandicoot wrote:
Sry I thought my othewr post didn't get through. I had trouble finding it and I couldn't find where my post were listed on my page. a mod can delete this.

To find all your posts, just click on your username, and it'll bring up your profile. Then click on "find all posts by CrashBandicoot".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jan 2013, 3:45 am

CrashBandicoot wrote:

I didn't know why you posted a second time, but as you never posted on the other thread I thought pointing to it would be helpful.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:52 am

CrashBandicoot wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me either, I consider neurotypicals to be people that don't have a psysiological condition such as autism but not only autism. Then of course some people say. Which makes no sense to me I think neurotypicals can have mental health issues but not on a consistant basis.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 6:30 am

I tend to consider anyone who doesn't have some form of developmental difference going on to be neurotypical.

Thus my bipolar neighbor is neurotypical, but a friend with ADHD is not.

I know a lot of people use it to refer to non-autistics. I tend to slip into doing that sometimes.

If it's used to mean, "Perfectly normal, there is absolutely nothing wrong," well...

...there probably is no "neurotypical" outside of textbooks.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I tend to consider anyone who doesn't have some form of developmental difference going on to be neurotypical.

Thus my bipolar neighbor is neurotypical, but a friend with ADHD is not.

I know a lot of people use it to refer to non-autistics. I tend to slip into doing that sometimes.

If it's used to mean, "Perfectly normal, there is absolutely nothing wrong," well...

...there probably is no "neurotypical" outside of textbooks.

But does one with bipolar actually have typical neurology? As far as I know that disorder is pretty long term...I think any brain/mind disorder is going to effect neurology thus making it atypical. Also there probably are neurotypicals outside of textbooks, I mean not everyone has a developmental disorder or any other mental or physiological condition, disorder, syndrome or whatever.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

I wouldn't call bipolar neurotypical. Unipolar mild depression or a mild anxiety disorder, yes, because that's really common in people with no long-term differences. But bipolar people seem to have a pile of quirks even when they aren't cycling. Things like hating certain words or being artistic or things like that.

I also consider PTSD and RAD compatible with being neurotypical, because both of those are normal reactions to an extreme environment. In fact, both are often adaptive within the specific environment that creates those conditions.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

NT's (neurotypicals) are just people who don't have autism. That is all there is to it.

NT'S like to label us as much as they like to label everything and everybody else so, why shouldn't we return the favor?

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

IMO, i only refer to NTs as the Neurotypicals, if someone was not a neuro typical then i wouldn't refer to them as NT

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

I dislike the term big time. Saying they are "typical" as if we are special in comparison. I would rather say people without autism.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

I said this in another post, but it bears repeating. I use the term NT on this board, but I think it's really inadequate and inaccurate.
My epileptic sister's neurology is hardly typical, and the fact that she has epilepsy informs just about every aspect of her life. However, she is about as far from autistic as is possible.
"Neurotypical" does not apply to someone who sees a neurologist and takes medication to prevent seizures that would otherwise occur several times a week, even if the person in question is energetic and outgoing with no unusual interests or eccentric behaviors.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

When I use the term neurotypical I am referring to people whose mental state is functional and not hampered by any problem; to me it means the perfection of mental functioning. I think the actual number of neurotypicals is probably quite small.