Most hurtful thing said to me is that I have no personality.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Evan7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2013, 12:50 am

And it was said to me by my dad. What's even more disturbing is that it is probably true. I admit I am reticent, taciturn. I almost avoid any kind of conversation with my dad and brother (who, incidentally, has Asperger's too- in fact, he's every bit personality free as I am). There's some people that I can open up to. When my mom was alive, I'd loosen up. Now with my sister, I can talk away. But besides that, I hate talking. I hate the sound of my voice. I could go the whole day without speaking to any except my cat. I boggles the mind to see NTs gather together and meaningful conversation. I think perhaps why I prefer to not open up and converse is that I feel that I might misspeak or will be judged by what I say or how I say it. All through school, I was teased about the way I talk. I wish I had the melodic voice of a British stage actor.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

Had it said to me too in school.

Never understood what it meant. I mean, everyone seemed to behave the same to me. Perhaps that's what it meant, that I wasn't like everyone else.

No big or small deal to me, though.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:15 am

I have had the same thing said to me!! By a former boyfriend. I didn't feel hurt though, I thought it was funny. But I didn't understand why he said that because I thought I had a personality. He also compared me to donald duck.
:lmao:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:36 am

if you look upon the people who call you names, as akin to barking dogs who don't know any better, that makes it more tolerable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
if you look upon the people who call you names, as akin to barking dogs who don't know any better, that makes it more tolerable.

Yeah, but ... I hates dogses!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:48 am

that's the whole point. make the bullies something to hate more than fear.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

I was put on this planet to piss those Nazis....I mean bullies off. :twisted:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

one caution about sociopathic bullies- they have it in them to escalate situations to the death, life is cheap for them and they don't care who they take out. if you defend yourselves against them they will up the ante until one or both parties are dead. if you punch one in the nose to get them to stop bugging you, they will come back later with a bigger weapon. they do not learn from pain. that is the sociopathic feature about them.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:58 am

Well, obviously you have a personality. Everyone has a personality. You just described it-- "quiet, taciturn, afraid of being mocked for mistakes in talking."

What the a***holes mean is that you don't have the kind of personality they want to see, the kind of personality that entertains and amuses them, the kind of personality they find desirable. If you were a TV channel-- even odds most people are TV channels to them-- they wouldn't watch you.

Well-- change the channel. Don't watch them, either. There is far more to life, than being entertaining, the life of the party, the one everyone is watching.

Quiet isn't a bad thing. I imagine you have a lovely personality. I LIKE quiet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:44 am

^^^
QFT!

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2013, 8:07 am

Being reticent or taciturn does NOT mean that you have no personality.

Everyone has a personality, but some express it more openly than others, that's all.