Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2013, 12:11 am

Abuse and lies. Apparently if you're a concerned citizen with one witness and an allegation of "harm to self or others" this is sufficient. Every time I got in trouble (past curfew, wrong friends, not obedient, got fired) they called 911. I wish this trend never caught on, but it ran for generations in my family :(

This practice has scared my life enough I'd identify trauma, but never ever seek help from what I've been through. I do want to raise awareness since its way too common and way to easy to in many places.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 10:36 am

I was hospitalized in my early twenties for two weeks. I was suicidal and self-harming. It didn't do me any good though - I still had to wait another 20 years to be diagnosed properly.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

I ended up feeling depressively broken down and in tears that caused me to stay at a mental hospital for 3 days to recover myself.

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

I was taken into ER after attempting to run away from home and expressing suicidal ideas or something...it took forever to be seen though and by the time I was seen by a regular doctor they decided that 1)I was stable enough to not need to be admitted to hospital via the crisis team and 2)Id manage to get through until the next day when Id be seen on an urgent basis by the community mental health team, who would decide where to take it from there and 3)the local psyhiatric ward was full up anyway, and since my parents didn't want to admit me, they'd leave it for now.

I didn't realise until after how close I was too being admitted to a hospital.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

24 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

My college roommate caught me trying to hang myself.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

If you threaten to harm yourself or others, usually that does the trick.Or if you have harmed yourself or someone else.
Most of the people who are in there are quite interesting.I'd prefer them to the average Mal Wart shopper.And most mentally ill people are harmless to other people,more of a menace to themselves.I never felt in any way threatened by the patients,it's the staff that had the few bad eggs.If your lucky they have a really good art therapy program.

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

I've been four times, each time was voluntary. I was able to stay in a private clinic. I went for different reasons each time, the most recent was because I had come off my meds and had completely lost touch with reality. My ex boyfriend threatened to have me scheduled so I beat him to the punch and check myself in. Because if you get scheduled, you go to a public hospital and those aren't good places.

when I'm in hospital I keep to myself mainly. My experience with other patients is that they aren't very nice people. They're whiny, manipulative, self entitled and some of the younger ones are rather spoilt! That's probably because in a private health clinic we all have to pay a lot to be there, and most of the patients are being paid for by rich parents or a rich spouse.

I don't mean to offend, that was just my experience. I'm sure some of them thought I was rather stuck up 8)

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

I just came out of the hospital for overdosing. I had to stay there for nearly 2 weeks the longest for me ever. I had to be taken by ambulance there and didn't know anything because of the overdose. The thing is that I didn't do it to kill myself, I did it to calm down and get rid of the annoying command hallucinations that I was experiencing. Each year I get worse and I know its not going to be my last hospitalization. I have been there many times (more than 7 times). They diagnosed me with Bipolar 1 disorder and psychosis but other doctors outside the hospital diagnose me with schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. The hospital stay was interesting the people were super friendly and I already miss them. They felt like family there but usually I hate going to the hospital. I was given a choice for which hospital I wanted. It was basically forced because they told me if I don't go to my usual hospital it would be involuntary. The other hospital is for much more severe patients than me. The good news is that the friends (patients) helped me considerably and made me laugh too much. I also had a manic episode while I was there. God was I manic. I didn't sleep much. So much energy. Actually it was a mixed episode because I was sitting there crying at the same time as just going nuts. For one week out of the 2 weeks I was there I was manic and only slept a few hours a night. First one up and one of the nights I was with another manic patient and accidentally woke up everyone in the ward at 3 AM. I feel guilty about that. This is the friendliest bunch of people I met. There have been other times where they weren't as friendly. In fact there was one time that the patients were bullies. I normally get along with the mentally ill people better than the normal population.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Either suicide attempt or you're in need of a holiday (I include mania and acute psychosis there with the holiday).

The latter isn't a joke: people usually end up there due to something going on in their life that makes their symptoms a zillion times worst, and they need a break from that. A hospital provides that.

Well, that was me and I needed a holiday for my month long stay. :)

I also kept going inpatient into psych wards continuously. I have bipolar illness, and was abusing medication. I was never on a detox unit, but all sorts of psych. I also had severe bulimia and self-injury which was really active when I was younger and still have. So far I'm out of the hospital since June 2012, which is a record for me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:10 pm

Xayah wrote:
I've been four times, each time was voluntary. I was able to stay in a private clinic. I went for different reasons each time, the most recent was because I had come off my meds and had completely lost touch with reality. My ex boyfriend threatened to have me scheduled so I beat him to the punch and check myself in. Because if you get scheduled, you go to a public hospital and those aren't good places.

when I'm in hospital I keep to myself mainly. My experience with other patients is that they aren't very nice people. They're whiny, manipulative, self entitled and some of the younger ones are rather spoilt! That's probably because in a private health clinic we all have to pay a lot to be there, and most of the patients are being paid for by rich parents or a rich spouse.

I don't mean to offend, that was just my experience. I'm sure some of them thought I was rather stuck up 8)

Mine was a State hospital,no divas or spoilt rich kids.Most were very interesting people.

jcarmel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 12:10 am

I recently went to the psych ward voluntarily. I walked into the emergency room and explained that I was having suicidal ideation and wanted treatment.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 8:19 am

I was a minor at the time and got put there by my parents.