Doctors won't give me an Aspergers test!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sam-hinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

They won't give me an Aspergers test, because they don't want to fund it. I find this absolutely discusting. I went to see them about it, and the doctor didn't seem that intrested in me at all. I'm sure I have AS. But I will never know if I have it now, (unless they fund it for me). Surely if there is something wrong with you they have to give it you by law. It's just like someone who a mental breakdown and then the doctors won't give them treatment.

What should I do?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm

Can't you go to someone else?
To some other doctor?

Allready bring the AQ and the results and stuff with you, this might also help.

Last edited by Raziel on 25 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm

They cannot refuse you:

http://www.nice.org.uk/CG142

Go and quote the relevant parts of it to them.

Also, you might find this useful: http://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/A ... dults.aspx

And NAS also has information to print off and take to your doctor.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

LD92
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm

sam-hinch wrote:
They won't give me an Aspergers test, because they don't want to fund it. I find this absolutely discusting. I went to see them about it, and the doctor didn't seem that intrested in me at all. I'm sure I have AS. But I will never know if I have it now, (unless they fund it for me). Surely if there is something wrong with you they have to give it you by law. It's just like someone who a mental breakdown and then the doctors won't give them treatment.

What should I do?

Can you see another GP?

I know that it's really hard to get a diagnosis with the NHS when you're an adult, but I saw my GP last week and made an appointment for me to see the CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse) next Monday. What will happen afterwards, if anything, I don't know. It's up to her if she wants to refer me.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

I hope that you find a solution!

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:25 pm

You can try to ask specifically for a referral to this service which is Sheffield based, perhaps ring them and ask for advice if the GP still refuses: http://www.shsc.nhs.uk/our-services/spe ... vices/sass

http://www.shsc.nhs.uk/_documentbank/As ... eaflet.pdf

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

hey you live near me.

I was dx in sheffield

change your doc.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

I know where you're coming from, as I went through exactly the same bureaucratic nightmare myself.

Do you have a psychiatric referral? If so, you can ask to see different psychiatrist if you're not satisfied with the verdict of the one you normally seen. I wrote a simple, polite letter to my health trust saying that I did not agree with the previous psychiatrist's diagnosis of my condition, and that I wanted to be seen by a different one who willing to accomodate my point of view instead of dogmatically dismissing it without even being fully aware of what AS was. If not, I'd agree with the advice given by other posters - register with a different doctor.

I had to see six different shrinks before I found one that would give me a referral. This involved registering with a different GP in the area where my parents are based, rather than in London, where I live. Mental health services tend to be more overwhelmed and underfunded in urban areas than in small communities, I find. I don't know where the rest of your family are based, but if they're outside Sheffield, perhaps this might be an option?

I don't know how well placed you are financially, but if you can afford it, it might be worth offering to pay for a private referral. Even if you can't afford it, don't give up hope - my stubbornness and persistence did end up paying off in the end, even if it took me three years and - as I said above - six psychiatrists.

Best of luck with getting a referral.

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

Do you need any services that require a diagnosis?

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

Get another doc.

You are very likely an Aspie

dregj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2014, 9:46 am

just got refused myself from a doctor who spent about two minutes with me
so the sound sensitivity,eye contact ,no friends ,no girlfriend ever, fired from 50 jobs ,constantly being called weird or rude must all be something i
"need to get Over"

how do i get a private diagnosis or should i start my own thread asking this question?

TungleVatn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2014, 11:48 am

If it is possible to be funded, I would just keep trying other doctors.

As far as I know, in the states I don't think any insurance company covers that. I've never tried and as expensive as it is, I'm not sure if it's worth it anyway to just have this piece of paper that talks about you and still may not even be 100% precise. Doctors are doctors, they pay attention or they don't. But whatever it is used for, it takes a long time for that to process too. So you might feel like you are looking for doctors forever, but don't give up on it. There's someone out there who is a doctor to be a doctor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 12:16 pm

Unfortunately I live in the U.S so not sure I'll be much help...but are there any other doctors you could go to in order to get a second opinion or something? Might be worth looking into but I don't know exactly how it works in the UK.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 1:26 pm

Thats actually why they wont diagnose people most of the time, its a Money thing.

i asked my Psychologist why doctors are so reluctant to diagnose people and he said its because its a life long Condition and that it costs the Goverment money for therapy, special education and sometimes Medication.

its ridiculous though, they should focus on helping and diagnosing people other than trying to avoid it.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 3:31 pm

sam-hinch wrote:
What should I do?

HFA and Asperger's has to one of the few conditions where clients show up in a psychiatrist's or psychologist's office wanting to be diagnosed with autism or Asperger's.

My suggestion would be to make an appointment because you are anxious or depressed. Talk about your troubles with the professionals, and not what you think is the name for your condition.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 7:31 am

know of someone who said he can get get a dx from a local university psychology dept and paid $500 for the testing.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 8:57 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Thats actually why they wont diagnose people most of the time, its a Money thing.

Not to go off-topic, but that's why Americans FEAR national health care. If it's a single payer system, what do you do if the "single payer" don't want to pay for either the Dx or the lifetime of care/benefits it would entitle you to?

It at least sounds like there are laws protecting your rights here...get another doctor.