Do aspergers often misunderstood as a rude person ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
Hell yeah, all the time. I don't mean to be rude, but somehow I just always say/do the wrong things.

It is downright depressing that you see it that way. =(
You aren't "being rude" ... You're just expressing yourself in the way that makes the most sense to you. There is nothing "wrong" in your doing it.
It is their interpretation that is off. It is the mundie tendency to read false positives into every interaction... To infer things never said, then blame their insane troll logic on you. It is the way everything to them comes down to moral or social hierarchy, and they see every interaction as an opportunity to scramble up these imaginary levels at anyone else's expense.

Mundie etiquette is BS. Always. And you'd be advised not to ever let their crap get you down. It is their stupid and pointless game, and you don't have to give it the time of day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

I'm sure people still think of me as rude. I have been told so in the past that I say lot of things that are rude or people telling me I am sometimes rude when I ask. But I wouldn't know what someone is thinking of me because people are too polite to call you as such. Either that or they don't want a conflict.

My anxiety definitely can make me come off as rude or if I am getting overloaded from noise.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I'm sure people still think of me as rude. I have been told so in the past that I say lot of things that are rude or people telling me I am sometimes rude when I ask. But I wouldn't know what someone is thinking of me because people are too polite to call you as such. Either that or they don't want a conflict.

Sometimes they just find it easier to hate you secretly than to talk to you and attempt to resolve the dissonance... right?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Sometimes they just find it easier to hate you secretly than to talk to you and attempt to resolve the dissonance... right?

I hate confrontations and they give me anxiety if I have to try and approach someone so it's nearly impossible for me to impossible so I can understand why others would avoid it and not even want to bother. Must be a normal thing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I hate confrontations and they give me anxiety if I have to try and approach someone so it's nearly impossible for me to impossible so I can understand why others would avoid it and not even want to bother. Must be a normal thing.

To be honest, it isn't like I'm that different, so I have grounds for believing this isn't exactly a difference between us and them.
I mean tons of people do tons of things that disgust me on a daily basis... and I never say anything to them nor confront them about it......
Every day I sit on the train and I see somebody slobbering on their finger then smearing it on the corner of a newspaper, casual as you please... and I cringe and recoil much as though they were sitting there eating their own s**t... and I wonder how the hell they can be so utterly disgusting...

... BUT I'm assured that the difference lies in one simple fact: I don't have a go at them NOT because it "isn't worth the aggro" (though it isn't), but because their vile behaviour isn't actually intended as a slight against me. That is just an unpleasant side-effect of them simply being themselves... and I don't have the right to insist they change for my sake.
On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned, I have the right to knife them to death for annoying me... but the law disagrees, and backs it up with buttrape.
The fear of imprisonment and buttrape is all that stands between me and a killing spree some days. That and a lack of decent weapons.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

I can relate to/agree with what Magnanimous and League_Girl are saying.

Those people are always playing the stupid game of climbing the hierarchy and putting others down.

They also enjoy hating and bitching about you for being off/rude etc rather than resolving any issue, even if the issue could easily be resolved. Your being rude itself is actually not a big deal, probably, but they would rather use it to enjoy hating you.

My nervousness and attempt to control it in interacting with people surely come off as being grumpy/angry/rude/aloof. someone told me that.

sushicat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

I actually never know if I am being rude or not, and it makes me incredibly worried. Ergo, I try as hard as I can to be warm and "bubbly" even and it feels so unnatural. I bet most people can't stomach doing it, but they do it anyway for the sake of social survival. Anyway, there are often times when I will ask a friend, "Did I just seem rude to those people? I got a weird vibe..." and he or she will tell me, "No! Not at all!" but - hell - I can't tell if they're just trying to spare my feelings or what.

Heh. Maybe I should worry more about being paranoid than rude.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
Heidi80 wrote:
Hell yeah, all the time. I don't mean to be rude, but somehow I just always say/do the wrong things.

It is downright depressing that you see it that way. =(
You aren't "being rude" ... You're just expressing yourself in the way that makes the most sense to you. There is nothing "wrong" in your doing it.
It is their interpretation that is off. It is the mundie tendency to read false positives into every interaction... To infer things never said, then blame their insane troll logic on you. It is the way everything to them comes down to moral or social hierarchy, and they see every interaction as an opportunity to scramble up these imaginary levels at anyone else's expense.

Mundie etiquette is BS. Always. And you'd be advised not to ever let their crap get you down. It is their stupid and pointless game, and you don't have to give it the time of day.

I know. And I usually don't care how some random NT sees me. It's just that it happens so often. And every time someone yells at me it takes a lot of energy to calm myself down again. Like two weeks ago I got into dissociation mode in a large supermarket. When I'm in a situation that overwhelms me sensory, I need to get out of the situation FAST. So I was overwhelmed and accidentally bumped into people as I was trying to leave the supermarket as fast as possible. People yelled at me and I got more and more overwhelmed. When I got home, it took me and my gf over 1 hour to get me out of dissociation mode. If people hadn't been yelling at me, it wouldn't have gotten that bad.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
I know. And I usually don't care how some random NT sees me. It's just that it happens so often. And every time someone yells at me it takes a lot of energy to calm myself down again. Like two weeks ago I got into dissociation mode in a large supermarket. When I'm in a situation that overwhelms me sensory, I need to get out of the situation FAST. So I was overwhelmed and accidentally bumped into people as I was trying to leave the supermarket as fast as possible. People yelled at me and I got more and more overwhelmed. When I got home, it took me and my gf over 1 hour to get me out of dissociation mode. If people hadn't been yelling at me, it wouldn't have gotten that bad.

Maybe it would help to condition more rote actions and reactions into your autopilot.
I've had to get home drunk from the corners of London so many times that I've pretty much had to build all sorts of weird conditional routines into my autopilot functionality so that I can still function adequately when only barely conscious and heavily inebriated. And I'm pretty sure that, barring some enormously unforseen circumstance, I can trust this programming to get me back home and safely into bed sans major incident.

... O'course there was that one time when road-works had been set up along my path back from the pub, and my autopilot's reaction to the huge fenced off area was to bash the fence down and barge straight through the middle. BUT that doesn't happen often.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

I did a search for "misunderstand/misunderstood" and I noticed that it's quite a familiar thread topic on WP. I just wanted to vent a little about it today.

I got reamed out via email by the bass player from my old band. Obviously, he had a lot of pent up feelings about me. Out of the blue, he decided to vent them today. Why? Beats me. Anyway, he didn't hold back. Said I was rude, think I'm smarter than everyone else, don't know how to get along with people, asked too many questions, etc. I mean, it was true, but I told him I have this condition where I can't control those things. I've gotten better over the years, but it's such a part of me, it slips out every now and then. I don't know if he believes it though. I encouraged him to look up Asperger's Syndrome and he'll see it's all there.

The problem? Hollywood. Even my family don't believe I'm on the spectrum because I don't look like those exaggerated characters on TV and the movies. I just saw "The Story Of Luke" and that movie definitely doesn't help either. Sigh. All I can do is hope he believes me although I doubt it.

llel11
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

One thing that has always frustrated me is I always wanted to joke around with other people and rib them like they do each other but whenever I tried to participate I always did it wrong, people would be offended when I didn't mean to do anything but join in and try to talk to each other like they talk to each other. I gave up. I am just not capable of fitting in that way, and shucking and jiving like NT's do.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

<--- Can't shuck and jive to save his life.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2013, 12:09 am

I'm not rude ok maybe I am a little self-centered and egocentric.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 12:57 am

jk1 wrote:
Yes, happens all the time. I'd been wondering why until recently. Even when I'm trying to polite and nice, I often get a hostile response. That's why I'm an outcast wherever I go.

And yes, I've been really depressed about it.

However, there have been a few people who seem to see my good intentions. They must be good people. Since I found out about AS (not yet diagnosed), I decided the rest (majority) must be evil worthless creatures and I really don't care about what they think. I recently don't even try to be nice because I know it would make no difference.

I don't see people as evil if they don't "get" me, but I'm not going to pander for favor. I think a lot of people need an acclimation period to get used to me, and once they reach that we're fine. I tend to be contradictory to initial impressions, but I'm a contradictory person. :shrug:

No
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2013, 1:42 am

Yes, if they don't know you have Asperger's syndrome.

A1ien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Definitely yes.
And not just rude, I've been described as looking intimidating, aggresive and similar.
This has been made plain to me in a work environment in the past, when I've had complaints from superiors about my dealings with staff, customers, etc. after the event.
When I asked 'What did I do or say that was wrong ?' I believed I had been perfectly polite. I was told that it wasn't what I said but the way I said it, not what I did but my general; demeanour, etc.
I don't think it's just about facial expression (or lack of it) it's general body language that 'normal' people are picking up on which is completely oblivious to me.