Female characters with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 5 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2016, 10:08 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Screenager wrote:
Saga Noren from the Swedish/Danish crime drama called The Bridge/Bron/Broen (depending on the language). She's the most accurate aspie (including the boys) I've ever seen. I was very lucky to be an extra on season 2 of The Bridge a couple of weeks ago and was in scenes with her. I was to shy to talk to her myself, but luckily somebody told her that I had Aspergers (since I wrote it in my application) and she came up and talked to me! Asked me about my school, special interest etc. It was so amazing and I think I personally taught her a thing or 2 about AS, since she's very different from her character IRL.

But I recommend The Bridge to EVERYONE. The series is not about her autism but it adds a new level to it's whole. And don't worry you can find it with English subtitles ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FcxzlXbKs (she's the blonde)

Yeah, I totally love that show. I watched it and wondered if that is how I come over at work. I'm very efficient and I can be very to the point when talking to people. Thanks for sharing your experience from being on the set with Sofia Helin with us.

I love Saga Noren. That character elevates the Bridge from merely excellent to unforgettably brilliant. Of all the female autistic characters I'm familiar with, Saga is the one I relate to the most. I recognise a lot of myself in her. Even my hair looks the same - long, scruffy and unstyled - except that I'm a brunette. It's refreshing to see a sympathetic, realistic female autistic character on television. The thing I appreciate most is that while she's intelligent and good at her job, it's not to the point where she becomes superhuman like, for example, Lisbeth Salander. I like Lisbeth for many reasons - not least of which because she brazenly and successfully breaks both social and legal rules - but as an autistic woman I don't identify with her anywhere near as much as I do with Saga. There's a bit too much of the brilliant Aspie hacker cliché in Lisbeth, with a good dollop of revenge fantasy, for her to ring entirely true to me, whereas Saga's intelligence is more true-to-life and occasionally fallible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

Sheldon's girlfriend.

warpos
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm

Nausicaa from the valley of the Wind.

Actually, I don't think she's really asperger, it's more like I think she is more like the kind of superNice, intelligent Girls you bump into on from time to time and have fun With and bond With.

And personally, I like this discussion-thread because it helps me find a couple more of quirky characters, so whenever I'm feeling despair of any kind, I have Cassie, Amelie and Nausicaa to turn to and Escape the world for a while <3

In retrospective, I should have had a survival-kit With Girls like this to identify With when I was a lost teenager :-P

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm

I started watching The Closer and I think Brenda Johnson is an Aspie. She's totally excellent BTW.

I read Scully from The X-files would be an Aspie. Frankly I don't see it.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

There are actually a few female book characters who actually have Asperger's.

- Caitlin from Mockingbird
- Taylor from Wild Orchid and its sequels
- Rose from Rain Reign
- Candice from The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee

tatals
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2016, 1:32 pm

Kotomi Ichinose, from the anime 'Clannad', strikes me as having AS.

Fannibal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2016, 4:36 am

Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds.
Ivy Walker from the movie "The Village"
Lisbeth Salander from "Millenium"
Hermione Granger and Luna Lovegood from "Harry Potter"
Beverly Katz from "Hannibal"

I have others headcanons, but i need to think about it a little while to remember them.

Harmolina
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2016, 12:06 pm

Jo March from Little Women (the book, I haven't seen the movie). Maybe Anne of Green Gables as well (books, not movie)? I don't have quite as clear memories of that one though.

Looking
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2016, 4:00 pm

The French detective Elise Wassermann in 'The Tunnel'
A very good portrayal of an Aspie, one I found when I was trying to a diagnosis. I believe that a sequel titled 'The Tunnel: Sabotage' is due out shortly on Sky Transatlantic. I don't have Sky, dammit, so I'll just have to wait for the DVD to be released.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 4:03 pm

I think Laura from The Glass Menagerie might have it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 8:40 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Most of the females form FLCL particularly Haruko Of course Haruhi Suzumiya! Yuki Nagato as well!

https://youtu.be/2beLTgmaMTk?t=7m36s
you forgot Shana from Shakugan no Shana :P

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 7:43 pm

Debra Morgan from the series, Dexter

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 1:09 am

Harmolina wrote:
Jo March from Little Women (the book, I haven't seen the movie). Maybe Anne of Green Gables as well (books, not movie)? I don't have quite as clear memories of that one though.

No not Anne. She does talk a lot, but it's not monologues about special interests, it's general observances about the world around her. She's not a black and white thinker either. She's just a bit quirky.

Marilla could be an aspie.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2016, 9:34 pm

Amy on Big Bang Theory. I enjoy her storyline.

Abby is just your Gothic person who could never dress like that for work in real life . She is over the top cool. Can't see her as autistic. We tend to overuse the Asperger dx.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 12:08 am

Might have already been mentioned, but River from the video game To the Moon canonically has aspergers.

I'm reading the book Chime right now, and the character Rose is obviously autistic. Her sister claims she got her condition though when she bunked her head, but I'm letting this slide for now as so far she has proved to be a pretty unreliable narrator. Haven't finished the book yet, so that very well might be addressed. Briony definitely isn't autistic, but she does have traits, like she appears to be alexithymic to the point she essentially thinks she is a sociopath, but clearly isn't from her actions.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

BeautifullyDeranged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2016, 6:02 am

Amy Farrah Fowler, Hermione Granger, Penelope Garcia, Ally McBeal??