In what way do you feel this planet is the wrong planet?

Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

Dragoness wrote:
qawer wrote:
It will obviously be difficult to convince people that there only is self-perpetuation, because that is to tell them their illusion of a true purpose of their lives other than self-perpetuation only is an illusion. It might be perceived as offensive.

That's why you've had so many people arguing with you on this thread.

Hi Dragoness,

I know :wink:

I'm only trying to be truthful to people. I'd also like we actually had this "true purpose" everybody, I just see it ain't that way.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
i think it is the wrong planet because everyone is very self-centered or just prefer people similar to them or they dont want to know you. i get a lot of this at work. i am not always on the same wavelength of other people this is why i don't have any friends but i don't care. the way i see it, theyre all weird. :)

Of course people prefer someone similar to them... it's only logical. No one wants to have a long conversation about something they have no interest in. So of course you'll try to surround yourself with people that will share similar interests. That's not being selfish, it's choosing to have a good time with someone, instead of being bored to death.

sorry, i think you misunderstanded me then. i was talking more about the people on the autistic spectrum that get rejected a lot in their lives all because the majority of people dont understand us, instead its all about conforming and following like sheep and people that stand out of the crowd get humiliated or rejected. its a shame the generel population dont understand about neuro-diversity, just expect everyone to be the same and like the same things.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2013, 5:43 pm

qawer wrote:
Dragoness wrote:
qawer wrote:
It will obviously be difficult to convince people that there only is self-perpetuation, because that is to tell them their illusion of a true purpose of their lives other than self-perpetuation only is an illusion. It might be perceived as offensive.

That's why you've had so many people arguing with you on this thread.

Hi Dragoness,

I know :wink:

I'm only trying to be truthful to people. I'd also like we actually had this "true purpose" everybody, I just see it ain't that way.

I see where your coming from. However, simply because you see the world this way doesn't mean everyone else does. And that doesn't mean your necessarily right. That doesn't mean your wrong, either - as Browncoat mentioned earlier, we just don't know, all we can do is make guesses.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:13 pm

Dragoness wrote:
I see where your coming from. However, simply because you see the world this way doesn't mean everyone else does. And that doesn't mean your necessarily right. That doesn't mean your wrong, either - as Browncoat mentioned earlier, we just don't know, all we can do is make guesses.

I agree on that. It is and remains a theoretical question.

I see why you guys object against someone coming here telling them what their lives are all about. It's not like I want to take away anybody's feeling of having a higher purpose in life. From my perspective one should maintain this illusion of a higher purpose in order to get a happy life. But that purpose should not neglect the fact that we are also intelligent animals trying to survive.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:43 pm

qawer wrote:
[I see why you guys object against someone coming here telling them what their lives are all about. It's not like I want to take away anybody's feeling of having a higher purpose in life. From my perspective one should maintain this illusion of a higher purpose in order to get a happy life. But that purpose should not neglect the fact that we are also intelligent animals trying to survive.

You have set up a false dichotomy. Having a higher purpose in life and being an intelligent animal trying to survive are not mutually exclusive. You seem to be proposing that if we are just intelligent animals trying to survive, then the higher purpose in life is just an illusion. It isn't. One doesn't need to choose between these two things nor have our animalistic nature somehow make the higher nature an illusion. It's not either/or. It's both.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

I prefer Thomas Hobbes description of life as "nasty, brutish and short"

It sums it all up fairly accurately for me :)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

Actually, humans have no purpose at all, by definition of the word purpose. A purpose is "the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc." We exist as a result of processes of natural phenomena, and natural phenomena are not rational, thus there is no reason or purpose for any product of nature. Some, of course, practice the self-delusion that we exist because we were created by some sentient being, but, as they have no proof whatsoever, they can be ignored.

EDIT: Since we are technically "made" by our parents, and could be "made" by scientists using cloning technology, we could view our purpose as whatever reason they have for creating us. At any rate, because purpose requires rationality, the purpose of a human being is something that can only be conferred by sentient minds outside ourselves, not nature, so we can have a purpose vis-a-vis our parents, but not vis-a-vis nature.