Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

12 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

I learned to cook in China, so I mostly eat stir-fried vegetables and meat, rice, and noodles, and various veggie soups. Also bagels and cream cheese served in my law school's Law Review office for free for breakfast usually.

I know I'm probably missing dairy from my diet (hence, the previous Vit D deficiency that almost made me commit suicide). I've thought about doing a simple, dairy based lunch (so cottage cheese, banana milkshake with honey, not sugar, and yogurt and fruit) most days and saving the veggie dishes for dinner, or for lunch and dinner on weekends.

What else? I don't have a ton of time at home during which I could cook.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm

how about whole grain cereal and fat-free milk for breakfast. it's fast. i recommend a D3 supplement. it's hard to get enough D from diet and sun.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

Sounds pretty healthy, barring sodium intake. If your body can handle dairy (mine can't) go for it. I think there's a TON to bed said for a really good multi-vitamin like Optimum's Opti-Men. If you're missing any variety in your diet, I think that'll pretty much patch it up, ha. Anyway, plenty of complex carbs in the vegetables and (probably brown) rice and protein in your meat and dairy. I mean, if you wanted to be a competitive bodybuilder, we'd have to totally rework everything, but as a healthy dude who's relatively fit, seems like you have your bases covered.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:50 am

Sardines and Salmon are naturally very high in Vitamin D, it only takes a small amount of each fish to get the daily recommend amount from them. They've also got large amounts of omega 3's, and some studies show they help with depression.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 3:01 am

OK, my parents and I have been learning a lot about the benefits of eating an all-organic diet, and I'm going to espouse some wisdom to you:

Dairy is actually bad for you. "Lactose intolerance" is just the body's way of rejecting what doesn't belong there. The human body wasn't made to process dairy. Why do you think that babies can't drink it right away when they're born? Not to mention the fact that cows are full of hormones and antibiotics that are bad for you. As a matter of fact, all processed foods are nothing more than preservatives and other crap that barely passes for food. You should be eating only organic foods, with the absolute minimum of preservatives, trans fats and sodium (ideally none at all). If you need calcium and vitamin D, then you should be taking supplements. If you want to drink "milk", then it should be a substitute made with almonds or soy. Your diet should also consist of mostly fruits and vegetables, which can be made into delicious blended drinks, recipes of which you can find on various "juicing" websites. No matter what else you put in there (I prefer carrot juice, green apple juice, bananas and fresh strawberries) this drink should include turmeric spice, chia seeds and, most importantly of all, spinach. Lots and lots of spinach (don't worry about a "vegetable-y" taste - the taste of fruit will neutralize it, so all it will do is turn your drink green).

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

Isn't the question of whether or not dairy is safe dependent on ethnicity also?

One concern I have is the lack of raw veggies. I cook or steam just about everything.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
I learned to cook in China, so I mostly eat stir-fried vegetables and meat, rice, and noodles, and various veggie soups. Also bagels and cream cheese served in my law school's Law Review office for free for breakfast usually.

I know I'm probably missing dairy from my diet (hence, the previous Vit D deficiency that almost made me commit suicide). I've thought about doing a simple, dairy based lunch (so cottage cheese, banana milkshake with honey, not sugar, and yogurt and fruit) most days and saving the veggie dishes for dinner, or for lunch and dinner on weekends.

These are just a few suggestions:
1) Stir-fry - replace cooking oils with coconut oil. Heating oils changes the structure of the plant and does more harm than good
2) Organic
3) Avoid grains
4) Lots of meats and vegetables
5) 2-3 serving of fruit a day is plenty. Eat it between meals and never after dinner
6) Buy seasonal (local) fruits/vegetables
7) Replace table salt with sea salt
8 ) Eggs (raw egg yolk - organic - is also really good for you)
9) Salmon
10) Avoid packaged items!

You mentioned "not sugar" but suggested yogurt. Most yogurts have sugar, colouring, artificial "crap" in it. I'd advise against it. If you don't have a lot of time, make time once a week and cook in bulk. Sometimes I make 2 trays of meat loaf (1x2 feet). I add a lot of vegetables, ground pork/beef, salt/pepper, eggs and herbs. We love it. Meat is also high in calcium - higher than milk products. Up your meat intake if you're not getting enough calcium. Almonds and nuts are also a good source.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

ASDsmom wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

These are just a few suggestions:
1) Stir-fry - replace cooking oils with coconut oil. Heating oils changes the structure of the plant and does more harm than good
2) Organic
3) Avoid grains
4) Lots of meats and vegetables
5) 2-3 serving of fruit a day is plenty. Eat it between meals and never after dinner
6) Buy seasonal (local) fruits/vegetables
7) Replace table salt with sea salt
8 ) Eggs (raw egg yolk - organic - is also really good for you)
9) Salmon
10) Avoid packaged items!

You mentioned "not sugar" but suggested yogurt. Most yogurts have sugar, colouring, artificial "crap" in it. I'd advise against it. If you don't have a lot of time, make time once a week and cook in bulk. Sometimes I make 2 trays of meat loaf (1x2 feet). I add a lot of vegetables, ground pork/beef, salt/pepper, eggs and herbs. We love it. Meat is also high in calcium - higher than milk products. Up your meat intake if you're not getting enough calcium. Almonds and nuts are also a good source.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a few questions: Coconut oil over olive oil? Why avoid grains? Does this go for rice and noodles too or just wheat-based products with gluten? Doesn't salmon have mercury in it?

I usually buy the plain yoghurt because I hate sweet stuff. Does this change anything? Sorry if my questions are "too direct." It's the aspie/NVLD thing.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Coconut oil over olive oil?

Coconut oil, meat fats, ghee or organic butter for cooking. Use olive oil [extra virgin and cold pressed] as a garnish. Don't heat this up.

Quote:
Why avoid grains? Does this go for rice and noodles too or just wheat-based products with gluten?

I don't think grains are healthy. There's a lot of info about the whys. Google Dr. Natasha-Cambell McBride.

Quote:
Doesn't salmon have mercury in it?

I think that's tuna. Salmon is healthy for you but you don't want to over-consume it.

Quote:
I usually buy the plain yoghurt because I hate sweet stuff. Does this change anything?
Plain is better. Try organic too.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:58 am

Because of our pollution, every fish that is eating "living food" has mercury in it, because of the food chain. The bigger the fish, the more mercury because the more it eats, the more mercury it receives from the smaller fishes, that also got their mercury from eating. Nowadays you should avoid seafish fully to a point, because every mercury you eat, will remain in your body, until you got eaten yourself. (For example from worms, who carry the mercury within them until they are eaten from birds, who carry the mercury within them until....) So you cant say its dangerous or not, it depends on the amount how often you eat fish. So salmon as example only has about 1/10 of the mercury of a tuna, but if you eat salmon multiple a week, you easily have as much mercury as someone who eats a bit of tuna once a week.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

The second thing with the flesh and the seafish, is that most of it is full of chemicals, antibiotics, ... The more animals or fish you can keep in a small place, and the bigger they grow, the more money you can earn. This includes the risk that every small infection could infect the whole animal stock at once. To prevent this, the animals get fed with regularly with antibiotics. Eating this flesh gives you the risk of helping the natural bacteria in your surrounding to getting used to the antibiotics. The animals also get forced by size of fishpools ... to move as less as possible, while being fed with hormons to enhance their growing. Part of the amounts of this hormons is that womans breast size have increased due to scientific reports in the last 40 years, and men get more and more less fertile. If you eat fish from asian fishpools, the fishpools are normally so polluted that they have to move on their pools every two years, because the pollution gets too high. Actually these fish are swimming about two years in their own pee and s**t pool, and are only able to survive as long because they get medicated like a emergency room patient. You can go as well to your city sewage plant and catch a fish from their pools. ^^ So with natural salmon that is catched in the sea, and not breed, you avoid that, there you only have the mercury problem.

I spare you and try to shorten the story: Growth hormones, anabolics, steroids, sedatives (so the animals dont kill themself because of the stress of not being able to move properly).

So if you have the chance to pay the price for organic flesh from normal animals, that dont look like relatives of the Hulk, I agree that there is nothing bad about flesh or fish. (As long as you watch for the fat, so as healthy as flesh is, your liver has a limit on how much cholesterol it can work with.) If you cannot afford such flesh every day, I would not agree with the "lots of meats" theory.