Do you find abortion due to the child´s disability offensive

Page 2 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

thomas81 wrote:
^

If we'd aborted people because of their having autism, we'd have lost great contributers like Einstein, Nicolai Tesla, Andy Warhol and Bill Gates.

Except none of those people have an autism diagnosis? Tesla and Einstein both died before autism was thought of, Warhol is widely said to have been "putting it on", and even Gates hasn't been openly diagnosed.

Besides, not every mother would choose to abort their autistic child, just as many don't abort Downs children today.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 11:30 am

but to the uninformed mother, upon recieving the news they are to have an autistic child, what do you think their kneejerk reaction would be?

I am in no way in favour of curtailing access to abortion but conversely I want mothers to have access to information on disabilities, both the positive and negative aspects.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Feb 2013, 11:38 am

thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I find abortion offensive for any other reason besides rape or life of the mother.

I'm sure women who want control over their bodies find it just as offensive that others should lecture them on why they cant.

They have control over their bodies when they choose to have unprotected sex. I'm not against contraceptives or base this in any religious belief. When you create a life, it ceases being just your body and you should be responsible for it. Not being able to kill your child is not a punishment, murder is not a right. The whole country watched in horror at the trial of Casey Anthony, is what she did so much different than abortion?

There are gray areas when it comes to deformities and making quality of life assessments(having no brain for instance) but that can be a very slippery slope. Soon enough they'll be able to tell you everything little imperfection in your baby, where is the line drawn? It's not a stretch to say some mothers would abort a child on the spectrum if they have that choice. In a lot of countries they already do selective abortions based on gender(girls usually being aborted). Eugenics is still alive and well. What's going to happen when you can find out everything?

Regardless of that, the vast majority of abortions are done out of convenience and a good portion of those are actually repeat abortions. What rationale can there be for them? Just mindless repeating of IT'S MAH BODY. It making your life easier isn't a justification of murder, just as being poor is justification to steal. A lot of people base their opinions on exceptional circumstances but I feel the majority of people in America agree with me on a moral level when it comes to abortion on demand.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2013, 11:54 am

thomas81 wrote:
but to the uninformed mother, upon recieving the news they are to have an autistic child, what do you think their kneejerk reaction would be?

I am in no way in favour of curtailing access to abortion but conversely I want mothers to have access to information on disabilities, both the positive and negative aspects.

That's why we inform them. Particularly with autism, I think we're much more likely to have a "soft" test which says something like "there is a 60% chance that your child will be on the autistic spectrum" rather than "your child has Down's Syndrome".
Jacoby wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I find abortion offensive for any other reason besides rape or life of the mother.

I'm sure women who want control over their bodies find it just as offensive that others should lecture them on why they cant.

They have control over their bodies when they choose to have unprotected sex. I'm not against contraceptives or base this in any religious belief. When you create a life, it ceases being just your body and you should be responsible for it. Not being able to kill your child is not a punishment, murder is not a right. The whole country watched in horror at the trial of Casey Anthony, is what she did so much different than abortion?

It is different because Caylee Anthony was almost three. She was conscious, she had hopes, she had preferences.

A foetus is not conscious and does not have those things.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 11:56 am

Not so sure you can abort children, maybe an embryo or a fetus in the early stages(I guess I've heard of late term abortions which I would tend to have an issue with) But if its before the embryo/fetus becomes a baby or child I don't quite see the issue.

Also are pre-natal tests 100% accurate? and yeah I don't agree with aborting because of a possible issue the child might have a disorder or disease and they just don't want the inconvenience......unless its something really bad and its more along the lines of preventing their misery. Like if they found some degenerative brain disorder or something that would cause them deteriorate starting at birth and they'd at best live a year or two in pain.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

thomas81 wrote:

As far as I know they don't really have any way to determine if an embryo or fetus will have autism...so one could not abort for that reason anyways.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:05 pm

Jacoby wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

There are gray areas when it comes to deformities and making quality of life assessments(having no brain for instance) but that can be a very slippery slope. Soon enough they'll be able to tell you everything little imperfection in your baby, where is the line drawn? It's not a stretch to say some mothers would abort a child on the spectrum if they have that choice. In a lot of countries they already do selective abortions based on gender(girls usually being aborted). Eugenics is still alive and well. What's going to happen when you can find out everything?

Regardless of that, the vast majority of abortions are done out of convenience and a good portion of those are actually repeat abortions. What rationale can there be for them? Just mindless repeating of IT'S MAH BODY. It making your life easier isn't a justification of murder, just as being poor is justification to steal. A lot of people base their opinions on exceptional circumstances but I feel the majority of people in America agree with me on a moral level when it comes to abortion on demand.

Try telling that to the traumatised 15 year old girl who would contemplate suicide over telling their conservative, controlling parents who would ostracise them. Yes, people should use protection but its not a failsafe option and people's circumstances change. Young people make stupid mistakes. With the naive teenage girl whose selfish boyfriend that left her, the idea of having a baby went from a good idea to the worst mistake of her life. It's conservative attitudes that exacerbate abortion in the first place, with young girls trying to keep their pregnancies unknown to their parents.

What it boils down to is if you ban abortion, you roll back women's advocacy to the last hundred years. Bodilly autonomy is ground zero for women's rights.

Are you a male, Jacoby? Its amazing how many people who oppose abortion are male.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
As far as I know they don't really have any way to determine if an embryo or fetus will have autism...so one could not abort for that reason anyways.

Good. Long may it stay that way.

Autism should be like the 10 pound note you get in your birthday card. Serendipitous and unexpected.

My deviant art profile

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

And what if they have protected sex and the protection fails, it does happen and in that case the woman chose to use protection but it didn't work? Also a embryo or fetus in its early stages is not exactly a 'child' so yes it is very different than murdering a breathing, conscious child at least in my opinion. Also what are you basing your claim that the 'vast majority' of abortions are done out of conveniance? Its not an easy process and from what I hear its painful and unpleasant so I don't think the idea that women are just lining up for abortions even their 2nd, 3rd or 4th abortion is very accurate.

Also if someone is poor and has nothing to eat and is at risk of starving for instance, its only natural they might steal out of desperation...what would you do in that situation? Not so sure its a justification, but it would be the reason people naturally resort to things they normally wouldn't do in desperate situations.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

thomas81 wrote:

Try telling that to the traumatised 15 year old girl who would contemplate suicide over telling their conservative, controlling parents who would ostracise them. Yes, people should use protection but its not a failsafe option and people's circumstances change. Young people make stupid mistakes. With the naive teenage girl whose selfish boyfriend that left her, the idea of having a baby went from a good idea to the worst mistake of her life. It's conservative attitudes that exacerbate abortion in the first place, with young girls trying to keep their pregnancies unknown to their parents.

What it boils down to is if you ban abortion, you roll back women's advocacy to the last hundred years. Bodilly autonomy is ground zero for women's rights.

Are you a male, Jacoby? Its amazing how many people who oppose abortion are male.

That is a very good point.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

A civilised society prioritises the rights of the aware and born without judging.

My deviant art profile

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm

If a woman decides that "I cannot bring this life into the world", that should be the end of the matter. Nobody has the right to question her. Nobody has the right to judge her.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
If a woman decides that "I cannot bring this life into the world", that should be the end of the matter. Nobody has the right to question her. Nobody has the right to judge her.

not to mention the fact that childbirth is itself a life threatening ordeal. If anyone has witnessed it first hand as i have, they wouldn't judge anyone for backing down. It is one of nature's paradoxes, it is as ghastly and horrific as it is wonderful.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

That's still a pretty small fraction of abortions there. I'm all for access to contraceptives and sex education but one must be responsible for their actions, that's my stance on it.

And what of my gender? If the implication is that more men are against abortion than women, that is historically not been true in US according to polling. The issue is pretty evenly divided and goes with the political winds.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not so sure you can abort children, maybe an embryo or a fetus in the early stages(I guess I've heard of late term abortions which I would tend to have an issue with) But if its before the embryo/fetus becomes a baby or child I don't quite see the issue.

Also are pre-natal tests 100% accurate? and yeah I don't agree with aborting because of a possible issue the child might have a disorder or disease and they just don't want the inconvenience......unless its something really bad and its more along the lines of preventing their misery. Like if they found some degenerative brain disorder or something that would cause them deteriorate starting at birth and they'd at best live a year or two in pain.

Down's Syndrome is 100% accurate iirc because that's a very large difference. If there was ever one for autism then I doubt it would be, particularly as environment/upbringing seems to play a role.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Mother should be able to choose. If she wasn't want to give birth to an autistic baby. It is her choice. And if she does it is too.

Eugenics are a danger if imposed by society on families. So I think that our best defense against them is precisely to empower mothers' decision power.

thomas81 wrote:
^

If we'd aborted people because of their having autism, we'd have lost great contributers like Einstein, Nicolai Tesla, Andy Warhol and Bill Gates.
Einstein and Tesla didn't have autism.

I think the world would have made it just fine without Warhol and Gates.