Only liking two TV shows and not prefering adult shows?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

sampsoninc916
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2013, 8:55 am

Dear all,
I'm new to WrongPlanet, but I found this forum from a Google of autism forums, and multiple forums popped up, so I chose this one. Yes, I am autistic, as a matter of have I have both high functioning autism and asperger's syndrome. How many of you are so picky about what TV shows you like. As in, what criteria should a TV show fulfill for you to like it? For me, only two TV shows fulfill my criteria, Thomas the Tank Engine and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Thomas the Tank Engine (pre Season Eight) I've liked ever since I was a baby, I had a lot of the toys and I watched all the episodes. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, however, I've only been a part of the fandom since my sophomore year in college. I don't own a lot of the toys, but I've watched every episode of the show up to the latest, the Season 3 closer, Magical Mystery Cure. I was worried that I wouldn't like this little girl's show, as a matter a fact, when I heard about this, I was like, My Little Pony, that dumb moronic cartoon from the 80s about Technicolor ponies who do nothing all day but play games and sing songs? But, as fate turns out, I totally like it. Both these shows fulfill my criteria in what I would like on a TV show, more TV shows out there:

1. Bright colors, family friendly, teaches good values to both kids and adults.
2. Sells lots of toys and merchandise.
3. Has a fantastic fandom, like Star Trek.
4. Has a bunch of variety with creating characters.
5. Is totally and completely popular.

The troubling thing about that is that they're kids shows, while the popular, super duper famous shows on TV are in the likes of NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Dancing With the Stars, Family Guy, etc. more adult oriented shows that not only do not get my attention, but also, several of these shows aren't even family friendly and contain rotten material that my parents would disapprove of. I try to tell everyone about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but everyone around my general area doesn't even know what I'm talking about. I mean, if you're an active user on the Internet, you got to be living under a rock just to not know about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Well, a lot of people in my area are not real Internet users like I am, they're just casual Internet users, not knowing much about computer skills, taking their kids to whatever place they need to be, watching the sports on ESPN, FOX, or CBS, and going over to their jobs not knowing what they are missing out on and what they need to know in order to adapt themselves to the future world of technology, such as how to create Android apps and such.

How many of you like either Thomas the Tank Engine or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, or both?

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2013, 3:13 pm

I watch a lot of TV, (like half the shows you listed) but not Thomas the Tank Engine or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, we're that's not the same. Thomas the Tank Engine is definitely a kids show, but while I haven't seen My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic I know it is very popular with college aged girls and guys. So I'm assuming there is something to it. It used to be that the only people who wrote for kids shows were people that weren't good enough to write for adults, and that's if they were even writers. A lot of 80's cartoons were just half hour commercials for toys and were likely written by marketing people. Also they just assumed kids were stupid so the shows didn't need to be good.

I do watch two kids shows though, iCarly and Victorious, although they're more tween shows I guess, and they are intended to be good for any age. They however do not teach good values. They can but only when it fits the characters and the story. The shows are meant to entertain first. Also on several occasions the character commit what would be serious crimes in real life. Like Sam's child labor sweat shop on iCarly or on Victorious how they have an scam embezzling thousands of dollars from their school. They're both known for having jokes that would go over the heads of kids and only adults would get. iCarly referenced a violent scene from the end of The Wire, Victorious has many references to Cat's brother who going by the stories she tells may be a perv, or a psychopath, and Victorious has several boob reverences. The show are both largely about friendship and following your dreams though so there's lessons there.

The key reason I like both shows is they're like the life I couldn't have. iCarly because while I did have a sister she died tragically yound, so Carly and Spencer are like the brother-sister relationship I never had, and Victorious is the high school friends I didn't have.

I there was a general thing I often like in shows, movie, games etc. it's chatacters who are freaks, weirdos, outcasts or literal monsters that are still valued by people. Examples are : Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Bones, The Mentalist, Veronica Mars, Once Upon A Time, Community, Dexter, Wonderfalls, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Lost, Serenity, Dark City, and The World Ends With You are the ones that come to mind.

I guess that's all I have to say about that.

Sallee92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

I have always much preferred shows that are for the child demographic rather than that of the adult or celebrity based shows as they don't really grab me as much.I much prefer the colourful,imaginative,creative, wacky,crazy storytelling which is often depicted in FIM etc.

I mainly watch Japanese anime though which is anywhere from children level to teen/adult(e.g Digimon,Beyblade in comparison to something like When They Cry and Death Note)
But I'll guarantee when that new Teen Titan spin off comes out I'll be watching it as I absolutely loved the original series
.I still to this day enjoy watching Hanna-Babera Tom & Jerry from time to time on Boomerang.

Besides cartoons and anime my main focus right now is watching the Japanese live action series Super Sentai (Where Power Rangers get's it's material from) which is also a Kids show aimed primarily at boys.But I must say I absolutely love it the characters various personalities, the suit designs every year,the mecha , the stunt acting, the theme songs, the colourfulness,from the wacky series, to the more the serious series and storylines of each series of this franchise is unique and always managed to pull me in.

Several favorites of mine are : Abaranger,Timeranger, Dairanger Jetman, and Liveman.
Favourite coloured rangers strangely being that of both the Yellow( Yellow Lion ,TimeYellow,GaoYellow,AbareYellow,DekaYellow,GoseiYellow) and Blue(Blue Dolphin,HurricaneBlue,DekaBlue,Go-On Blue,ShinkenBlue,GoseiBlue and BlueBuster.) Then Green:(Shishiranger,TimeGreen, DekaGreen, and GokaiGreen). Just find the personalities of these characters the most interesting.

Among the internet community Goseiger is considered one of the worst Sentais due to it's incredibly childish nature,plot etc and this whole thing on miracles.But I must say I absolutely LOVED it and even the super catchy ending theme(" In the sky shines a Rainbow ,"Do your best MIRACLE") it is so fun to listen to and that dance :D

Talking about toys I have got a few namely DX GaoLion from Gaoranger, Dino Minder from Abaranger Golden Magiphone from Magiranger,Gokaiger Mobirate etc and with MLP an AppleJack figure from Mcdonalds.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 11:31 pm

Sallee92 wrote:

I mainly watch Japanese anime though which is anywhere from children level to teen/adult(e.g Digimon,Beyblade in comparison to something like When They Cry and Death Note).

Beyblade is adult. It has partial nudity and swearing in Japan. And the blades are made of real metal and are more dangerous than ever.

zemanski
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2013, 5:22 am

Digimon is my 21 yo son's favourite - incidentally he is the only other person I have come across with both AS and autism diagnoses who got the AS first and then was reassessed as HFA. Going from HFA to AS is not so unusual. This year the criteria change and all diagnoses will be ASC so it doesn't really matter.

But my daughter and I always loved the more macabre - her favourite at 2 was Nightmare before Christmas and she still watches it in her teens.
She has really moved on to manga and anime now though - particularly things like studio gibli; spirited away, my friend totoro......

Sallee92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2013, 9:32 am

Rorberyllium wrote:
Sallee92 wrote:

I mainly watch Japanese anime though which is anywhere from children level to teen/adult(e.g Digimon,Beyblade in comparison to something like When They Cry and Death Note).

Beyblade is adult. It has partial nudity and swearing in Japan. And the blades are made of real metal and are more dangerous than ever.

Really? For me it's just cultural differences and are you talking about the newer beyblade series? As I only have watched the original series dubbed.I know cuts were made,music and names were changed. But aren't, things like nudity,punching and hitting more acceptable for Japanese kid audiences in comparison to what US,Canada and Europe think due to cultural differences.I have seen Digimon in it's original form and that did have more violent scenes (whipping,torture etc in Digimon Adventure and 02 were either cut out or flashed out in the dub)than it's dubbed counterpart.Also it did have at least one scene of partial nudity that was cut from the dub.I do wonder how Saban have handled DIgimon Xros Wars in it's dubbing, as there is a certain female digimon which I don't know how they'll handle.
As a series I would say DIgimon is my overall favourite and I love how the theme changes every season.The only series I have not seen in full is Savers.

Super Sentai equally has had it's fair share of violence and death and is aimed at young boys.Yet again cultural differences I think.