Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

BTDT wrote:
Random42 wrote:
Also my compensation for sensory issues is very limited. I wear sunglasses outside. I use lamps at work instead of the overhead fluorescents. But there are still areas I haven't been able to compensate. For example, I am unable to do grocery shopping as I can only handle about 30 minutes of that before shutting down. This happens even sooner than 30 minutes if it is especially crowded, if I can't find something, or if I am already sensory or emotionally overloaded.

Is there an all night Grocery store around? Try to pick the least crowded store--there is a store with discount prices but we never go there--too crowded!

It isn't easy, but if I can't find something on the list, and I'm tired, I'll just go onto the next item. Then, when I have all the easy to find stuff on the list, I'll pay for them and leave. Then, I either go to another store or go home.

Right now I rely on my mom for grocery shopping. I do go to a store that is generally less crowded than Wal-Mart but can still only handle it for a few minutes. I do go to pick up a few things as needed. Those few things I know exactly where they are so I can find them without stressing out, buy them and leave.

M56
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

I recieved my official Aspie diagnosis today (39 yr old) and although I was told I most likely had it before going through all the testing, it really hit me seeing the diagnosis in writing.
It's really odd. I knew In my heart I was an Aspie, I was told I was an Aspie, but now that its official, I'm upset I wasn't diagnosed when I was younger.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm

M56 wrote:
I recieved my official Aspie diagnosis today (39 yr old) and although I was told I most likely had it before going through all the testing, it really hit me seeing the diagnosis in writing.
It's really odd. I knew In my heart I was an Aspie, I was told I was an Aspie, but now that its official, I'm upset I wasn't diagnosed when I was younger.

I've thought I had AS since my mid teens now am 26. I was told by the psychologist who is doing my assessment that I most likely have it. I wonder if I will have a similar reaction when it is official.

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2013, 1:03 am

M56 wrote:

Congratulations! I received my diagnosis today as well. I also wish I would have been diagnosed as a kid, so I could have understood my differences and not spent decades as a chamelion. I'm fortunate that I've had the ability to blend in everywhere, so that I have been able to do well in jobs (even though it's been terrifying and difficult), but I've never fit in anywhere and now I know why. I'm 53 and I'm glad to have a diagnosis, because it explains so much.

mmonroe

27 Feb 2013, 1:47 am

In reply to the original post: My diagnosis took a couple of visits with a good doctor that included discussions about my childhood traits (including input I've received from my mom) up through my adult traits, test results, and me bringing in pie charts, spreadsheets, and three pages of typed examples of what I've experienced and continue to experience related to each symptom of AS.

The three pages of examples were to be used as a guideline for me, because I often get flustered and forget the important points and will rant on about something less significant. I took an extra copy for the doctor, which he appreciated and kept for my file. I still left out key points, but I think it was helpful for the doctor to have it as a frame of reference. My husband also included examples of his perception of the AS symptoms in me, because I don't always know what isn't considered to be normal, so his input was helpful.

Also, I only included examples specifically related to the Diagnostic Criteria (DSM). Otherwise, I would have ended up with a book of examples to give to the doctor and he didn't need that.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm

I'm in the process of trying to find someone who will evaluate adults for aspergers. It is difficult here. I have found one place that is over an hours drive away. They said the evaluation will take 10-15 hours over a couple of weeks and cost $150/hour. That's a lot of time, money, and gas to spend when I don't know if anything will come of it.

The more research I do, the more I truly believe I am an aspie. My husband is convince as well after reading some of the material I printed off for him. I would like an official diagnosis so I could get some behavioural therapy and also for myself so I can say, I'm not crazy, I'm not imagining things, this is real.

For anyone who has gone through the diagnostic process as an adult, is this amount of time and money comparable to what you invested to get your diagnosis? Any advice will be appreciated.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson