Trauma of autistic boy shackled by police (UK)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:05 am

Appalling story, no apology to the family, severe effects on the victim, police appealed wasting lots of taxpayers money (thankfully the appeal was rejected). And I thought we were a "first world" country, no excuse for this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/1 ... tistic-boy

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

So ... the police were called because some kid was staring at the water in a swimming pool. That's what I get from this article.

What the f***!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:35 am

Exactly. It's made me so mad. Clearly the police overreacted (as obviously did the pool owners, who could have spoken to his carers, why call in the police!) and went in very heavy-handed. The term "police brutality" was invented for a reason.

The rest of the story makes me equally angry too, the public money they wasted on appealing (the damn cheek and ignorance they had in appealing at all), failure to apologise to the family, failure to recognise what hell they put that boy through, ignorance of SENs, failure to allow training of police, assumptions that he was some sort of threat/deviant/weirdo etc. I could go on.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 11:40 am

I completely agree. I don't understand how some people can be this cruel or this stupid. It makes no sense whatsoever. Heck, I think the average person would be traumatized if they had to go through that.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Dragoness wrote:
So ... the police were called because some kid was staring at the water in a swimming pool. That's what I get from this article.

What the f***!

I've read this before and these were my thoughts. Apparently, police don't have training in things like Autism.

bubuaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2013, 6:33 pm

Well darn talk about bad things right there, I think just hope the kid does okay after all that.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 7:28 pm

I'm relieved that at least the ruling "rejected every aspect of" the appeal by the police commisioner and the disgrace of the police is made public.

Still it's disgusting that anyone could be so inhumane. To make it worse, it took five years and public money for the police to finally be forced to admit that they did something wrong by the ruling. I think that for the police commisioner saving face is more important than the dignity and well-being of an innocent person or than how public money is spent.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

bubuaspie wrote:
Well darn talk about bad things right there, I think just hope the kid does okay after all that.

According to the article he hasn't. He has post-traumatic stress disorder and his epilepsy has become more problematic.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2013, 5:57 am

Epilepsy responds to stress?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

Strangely enough; the alias given for the boy is "Josh", which actually happens to be my name XD.

But yeah. WTF!?!?

Author/Writer

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:10 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
Epilepsy responds to stress?

Apparently:

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/15186538/4 ... lltext.pdf