Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2013, 8:22 pm

I really want one but with Aspergers I have a very high tolerance of pain but it seems like a sensory overload thing. Any autistic or other wise have tattoos? Just tattoos please armor doesnt count those are quick

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2013, 10:21 pm

I have a little one...I got it when I was 18. It didn't hurt that bad, probably because it was so small and it was over in like 5 minutes. The sound of the needle (kind of like a dentist drill but not quite so high pitched) might be annoying, but it shouldn't be too bad. Take a friend with you if you can, to distract you with conversation. Or maybe bring ear plugs if you think it will bug you. You can schedule it in multiple sessions if shorter intervals of time would make it more comfortable.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm

I have a star that's about 3" wide on my shoulder. It didn't hurt but then the nerve endings aren't as close together there as elsewhere. I've heard that upper chest, abdomen, spine, ankles/feet and hands are the worst. But I only have the one on my shoulder so I couldn't swear to it. Like I said, that wasn't bad. I didn't even mind the whine of the tattoo gun. It's a lot lower in pitch than a dentist drill so I'm not sure that comparison is apt. I was worried that the wiping they have to do to clear the area of excess ink and blood would hurt (paper towel on raw skin) but they coat the area in vaseline (or a vaseline type substance) while they're working so that's actually not a problem.
I would stress that you should ask to see your artist's portfolio. Also, be aware that if your tat is on a bendy spot, you're going to have to not bend that spot a whole lot until the scabs come off. I have a couple of tiny clean lines cutting into my star because I reached up to take a box off a high shelf. It can be fixed but it's still a bummer.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

I have two. The first one on my upper left arm wasn't that painful (also my first tattoo) while the one on my back shoulder was a bit more interesting in a few spots as far as pain went. But it also had some really thick areas to fill in.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

I have seven (and counting - have quite a few planned) none were as painful as you would imagine including the one on the inside of my upper arm. The most difficult was a portrait of my loved one on my shoulder. It was an incredible emotional release, I was shaking the last 2 hours not from pain but emotions.

In my experience it's easier to go alone. For me the two times I had friends with me the distraction of talking to them brought me out of the 'zen' place your body naturally wants to go to when you are in even the smallest level of distress for a long period of time. If you are alone the pain comes and goes in waves, when forced to stay in the moment talking the pain stays with you.

Just make sure it's something that has a lot of meaning for you and you won't regret it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

I have one. Even with all my sensory issues, it was nothing.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 8:51 am

Jory wrote:

Was your avatar the right way up before the tattoo? :arrow:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

Wrackspurt wrote:
Jory wrote:

Was your avatar the right way up before the tattoo? :arrow:

Yeah, but the tattoo had nothing to do with that. I got a hickey from a leprechaun.