Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

sooite
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

Is it real or just another theory being floated around?

I've actually read many causes/effects on it and was hoping for a second opinion.

Anyone ever try therapy tailored to fit it?

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:28 am

I've wondered about this myself. If I believe the texts, my messy room and car, inability to stick with things, and hygiene issues are a product of AS rather than just laziness on my part. It sounds like a good excuse, but is that all it is?

NeuroticDragoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2013, 2:41 am

Webalina wrote:
I've wondered about this myself. If I believe the texts, my messy room and car, inability to stick with things, and hygiene issues are a product of AS rather than just laziness on my part. It sounds like a good excuse, but is that all it is?

Good for provoking some thought on the matter.

The way I was brought up taught one thing: If you actually try, it isn't just an excuse.

And, don't worry. You aren't the only one! javascript:emoticon(':)')

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 5:19 am

I hope it's not just an excuse. I always try my hardest to stay on top of things at school as in handing notes in, signing up for things and corresponding with teachers. This year especially I've been trying to keep up with things but there's always something I forget. I keep a diary, write things on my hand and do all the organisational stuff I can, but I just always forget. It's really annoying because I miss out on things sometimes and my mum gets really angry at me and says I just use forgetting as an excuse.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

Executive function deficit is real. Coping strategies can help.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

Quote:
Is it real or just another theory being floated around?

It's real.

The group most well-documented as having executive dysfunction are people with frontal lobe injuries (for example Phineas Gage). The idea of executive functions came about in large part because of noticing that people with frontal lobe injuries show normal function on standard cognitive skills (eg memory, language, spatial skills etc), and yet show significant impairment in everyday life. So they tried to figure out what was going wrong.

Since then, they've found evidence of executive dysfunction in ADHD, autism, schizophrenia and many other neuropsychological conditions. There is controversy about how much executive dysfunction explains about the classical symptoms of those conditions (eg can executive dysfunction explain social impairment?), but the fact that executive dysfunction is present among many of these conditions is not really disputed.

Incidentally, many layperson sources give a whole big list of executive functions, but this study suggests they boil down to three main skills - inhibition (suppressing inappropriate responses), intentionality (planning/thinking ahead and thinking about thinking) and executive memory (retrieval and control of memory).