Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Is it a good idea to disclose to your boss?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 18

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

I am going through the diagnosis process and have been debating whether to disclose to my supervisor if I get diagnosed.

I have been working at the same place 7 years. I recently got a performance evaluation. We get these annually. My boss indicated that I am very good with problem solving(via programming) focusing on big projects, learning quickly(programming languages, new software, etc) but that it appears I have not been wanting to make improvements the past couple of years, problems communicating with people outside of a small group I am comfortable with, organization, documentation, and not being involved in company events. I also get VERY stressed when I have several small projects that need to be finished at around the same time. If I have one big project I can focus on it for hours and feel calm. There have been times when I have been stressed, my boss noticed. She has been nice about it. Also there are times when she says we have a lot going on and we might have to work late and/or weekends to get it done. we haven't had to work weekends yet but the idea scares me because i experience excessive stress when i have to work past 5 on a weekday. i am not sure how i will handle working weekends if i have to. If I have to work past 5 several days in a row i become obviously stressed out to the point my boss asks me if I am ok. If there is an issue that happens late at night that i have to wake up to fix that adds to my stress level even more.

I do like my job. The things that stress me out do not happen all the time, but when they do they seem to happen all at the same time. Usually my job is stress free and I get to sit in my comfortable,dimly lit office(I use lamps instead of the overhead fluorescents) and solve puzzles(write programs).

I am afraid that without disclosure this will result in bad performance evaluations. At the same time I am afraid to disclose. She was supportive when I disclosed my depression to her a couple of years ago. I told her because she noticed that I had lost focus. But still I am not sure.

Has anyone disclosed to their boss? What were the results?

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:57 pm

well i have no experience in this area, but your boss seems very nice and am sure she would be supportive, what country are you in.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2013, 6:37 pm

I am in the US

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

Maybe you can use a method I use in poker. I occasionally hold my cards in one hand and the chips for a call in the other. Now, what feels right, the call or the fold?

So, maybe, you could write out a paragraph or three main points, okay, if you do disclose, how are you going to do it? And at that point, you're done your work and then what feels right.

It sounds like there are two separate issues, the question of disclosure and how to respond to mandatory overtime. And this second one is a tough one. Other than kids, I'm not sure anything is really widely accepted in American business culture. So, maybe Asperger's might be another in and another way to set some reasonable limits.

And please remember the Ted Williams analogy (both good at hitting and worked at it). Just because you're good at programming, does not mean other people are. And what comes (relatively) easy for you may still be a salable commodity.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:02 pm

All I can say (for what little it counts) is to do whatever you think will help you the most. I personally refuse to disclose in either of my jobs (though I do know most of the people operating the lathes are aspies (who also do not disclose to employers) - perhaps that's why we're clear on the other side of the building :twisted: - It's far too risky at my other job, given the whole Sandy Hook media frenzy).

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2013, 8:27 pm

I think in IT disclosing might be helpful, since many in the industry have AS or many traits, and your AS actually helps you be better at it in many ways. Though, if you work for a large company, it may make you be passed over for promotions. You don't know what the prejudices of upper management in the future are going to be, even if you have a good boss currently. In my profession, disclosure would be the kiss of death. One time, in a previous job, I had to take FMLA because I had a nervous breakdown, so I had to disclose (my anxiety DO, not my AS, since I wasn't diagnosed yet). I was bullied into quitting when I came back.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:43 pm

I disclosed my Dx to my boss, because I had worked there a long time and knew that the boss was supportive towards other people with diagnosed conditions. I don't generally disclose my Dx to my work colleagues, although I have told one or two of them.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 8:31 am

I have told my direct supervisor, because I feel they need to know to understand why I act the way I do. But I don't feel anybody else at work needs to know, and would only judge my behavior and performance on my diagnosis.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 8:42 am

I've gone with full disclosure of all aspects of my life to my boss, mostly because i felt it necessary to do so.

So, i'd say it depends on the job. And who is boss. If the boss is a narrow minded NT, then maby its not a good idea.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

If you can think of changes that could be made to your workload and working environment (that don't negatively affect your colleagues) then disclosure may be useful. If nothing can be changed there is less need.

If you trust your boss (and it seems you have in the past) then it may be a good idea to disclose even if no changes can be made as it will increase her understanding.

What is your view about disclosing to other colleagues? If you get changes made to your work they will notice and possibly speculate about the reason for it so you may need to tell them.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 12:58 pm

At my job I gave all my managers a copy of the US Department of Labor Job Accommodation Network's guide to accommodations for Asperger's and highlighted the accommodations I found relevant to my situation. I am very "out" to all my co-workers because it helps me find out who I work well with and who to avoid. So far most of my co-workers have been awesomely accepting to the point where I'm free to stim in front of them when customers are not around!
They also have an emergency plan in place to get me home safely if I have a meltdown and they invite me to hang out after work sometimes :D

Here is the link to the JAN accommodation documents. I use the one titled Accommodation and Compliance Series: Employees With Asperger's Syndrome

http://askjan.org/media/autism.htm

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

I wouldn't disclose it at my workplace. My work involves using interpersonal skills besides analytical so it wouldn't be a good idea, but in a job that's more about analytical skills it would be a valid option. I think though that discussing the very issues you may face under stress (workload, too much projects running at a time) with your boss is definitely a good idea.

One useful tactic may be that you always give yourself extra time regardless of your better performing times at work just to have enough room compensating for less-productive days. When you have some free time do some learning, experimenting, or exploration.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

I had worked at my job for just over five years before I learned the diagnosis. I haven't mentioned it to my boss. I don't see what good could come from that. I have been there this long and by all appearances they are satisfied with my ability to perform the tasks of my job description, so, i dunno. Don't see any benefit to it.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses so far. There has been a lot of helpful suggestions. I am still thinking this over.

This link has excellent information, thanks. It describes many of the difficulties I have at work clearly.

krazykat wrote:

Here is the link to the JAN accommodation documents. I use the one titled Accommodation and Compliance Series: Employees With Asperger's Syndrome

http://askjan.org/media/autism.htm

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGkseNwQMA[/youtube]Hope this video helps sorry for all the moving around the camera I tend to pace alot!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList