Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 8:35 am

catwhisperer wrote:
namaste wrote:
Today i visited a psychiatrist i told him i could be having PTSD because of childhood abuse and neglect
He said not possible because PTSD is caused by sudden trauma like bomb blast or meeting a accident
Childhood abuse is a prolonged abuse and doesnt cause PTSD was his conclusion.

He did diagnose me with bipolar though.

Is this a new psychiatrist....?

Its well documented in the literature that childhood abuse often leads to PTSD in adults. There are many studies supporting what many of us are saying is our experience.

I've the same opinion like catwhisperer. Sadly many psychiatrists have very strange and old clichées about certain disorders.
I got PTSD because I was once locked away too long as legaly alowed.
You can get PTSD symptoms from all different kind of situations.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 10:12 am

Yes, childhood abuse can cause PTSD. You do not have to be in a war to get it. Besides, being severely abused was JUST LIKE being in a war, at least for me.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to completely trust anyone. The impression I received as a child was that human beings are scary and mean. Though I know in my heart that there are good people out there, my brain seems automatically conditioned to distrust. If you repeatedly kick a dog, it will cower when even a nice human comes close to it.

I've not yet received enough love and kindness for me to think otherwise. The greatest love of my life left me because of his own aspie fear of intimacy. But he was the only one who gave kindness and understanding without pity or drama. And I gave it in return.

One of my favorite movie quotes is from Memoirs of a Geisha (one of my fav movies, even if it IS historically incorrect) is this:

"None of us receives as much kindness in our lives as we should."

The General says that to Chiyo when she's a little girl. And it makes me cry whenever I hear it. I like that movie because my life has the same tone and I am also "like water".

Somehow I've grown into a kind and gentle person. I don't know how that happened, but I"m grateful. I would never want to be like most people.

I'm kind of rambling here, so I'll let it go for now. I tend to go off on tangents, but it's therapeutic for me.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 11:59 am

I think the lasting effect it's had on me is that it's left me always feeling 'wrong' and unlovable. I wouldn't say I'm a kind and gentle person but I am an understanding one. People's flaws don't mean much to me unless they involve being abusive. Someone can be greedy and selfish and even mean but as long as they're not abusive, I understand. I even kind of understand abusiveness (although I would never do it myself) because abusers are usually hurting themselves over something, or got abused in the past. I still have a lot of anger towards abusive people. Sometimes it manifests as a directionless anger, which I turn inwards. I used to have a self-destructive streak which I think came from being abused. I think I still have it, but I haven't harmed myself deliberately in quite a while.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 1:26 pm

I also have anger, but I'm unable to direct it at other people unless they've violated one of my very personal principles. I guess most of the time I just can't see my anger helping the situation at all so I don't even want to spend the energy on it. If I feel personally violated, I can get very vicious, though. I used to think shyness prevented me from getting angry, but now I think it's because my energy reserve is so low and I don't see people ever changing. I don't think people care enough about me to be affected by my anger. I'm tired of fighting for survival. It's like my body and brain have had enough. Nowadays, my anger shows through silence or avoidance. I have to reach a very high threshold of discomfort before I speak up about anything. Another thing is that I lack the knowledge of appropriateness. I don't know what issues are minor, what warrants "speaking up" and so forth. I've tried different approaches other than my normal stoic self. I tried speaking up just a little more, but just felt like I was complaining all the time. So I honestly don't know what to do with anger and sadness. I'll just continue to turn inwards as I always have.

I feel like people never take me seriously and see me as that eccentric ladyboy "thing". People who actually get to know me are always shocked at my depth, are scared of it, and run far away. It's interesting since I am actually quite positive. This post doesn't reflect my every day personality. I am quite cheerful to people and naturally optimistic. It's a gift I cherish because it's allowed me to thrive despite my experiences.

And I do feel "wrong" all the time, too. I think I am a good person; smart, kind, very hard-working, strong, introspective, loyal, etc, but I don't know why people are afraid of me just because I'm different. I can't shake that feeling of "wrongness" though, and I know it affects my relationships because it renders me unable to totally relax.

It blows my mind how the first years of our life can shape us forever. Psychology .... what we know today is just a drop in the ocean of the human mind.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 2:12 pm

kouzoku wrote:
I also have anger, but I'm unable to direct it at other people unless they've violated one of my very personal principles. I guess most of the time I just can't see my anger helping the situation at all so I don't even want to spend the energy on it. If I feel personally violated, I can get very vicious, though. I used to think shyness prevented me from getting angry, but now I think it's because my energy reserve is so low and I don't see people ever changing. I don't think people care enough about me to be affected by my anger. I'm tired of fighting for survival. It's like my body and brain have had enough. Nowadays, my anger shows through silence or avoidance. I have to reach a very high threshold of discomfort before I speak up about anything. Another thing is that I lack the knowledge of appropriateness. I don't know what issues are minor, what warrants "speaking up" and so forth. I've tried different approaches other than my normal stoic self. I tried speaking up just a little more, but just felt like I was complaining all the time. So I honestly don't know what to do with anger and sadness. I'll just continue to turn inwards as I always have.

This could almost be a verbatim quote from my stream of thought. I have a lot of anger but I am so tired only things which cross one of my "red lines" will set me off at anyone other than myself. It's easier to just retreat but I'm not sure it's the right solution, for me at least.

Quote:
I feel like people never take me seriously and see me as that eccentric ladyboy "thing". People who actually get to know me are always shocked at my depth, are scared of it, and run far away. It's interesting since I am actually quite positive. This post doesn't reflect my every day personality. I am quite cheerful to people and naturally optimistic. It's a gift I cherish because it's allowed me to thrive despite my experiences.

I also feel as if people don't take me seriously but I honestly don't know why. I'm slowly learning to be more positive because it got to a stage some time ago where it was, literally, "change or die"; if I continued down the mental path I was going down I would have eventually not been able to cope anymore. I'm a little envious of your naturally optimistic outlook but I have learned that these things are malleable and that an optimistic outlook can be cultivated; it's slow work though :P

Quote:
And I do feel "wrong" all the time, too. I think I am a good person; smart, kind, very hard-working, strong, introspective, loyal, etc, but I don't know why people are afraid of me just because I'm different. I can't shake that feeling of "wrongness" though, and I know it affects my relationships because it renders me unable to totally relax.
It blows my mind how the first years of our life can shape us forever. Psychology .... what we know today is just a drop in the ocean of the human mind.

Do you think you could clarify what you mean about the feeling of "wrongness"? Is it that you feel as if YOU are wrong, that the situation, your whole life is wrong or...?

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 2:25 pm

I feel that I am wrong; it's basically the chronic feeling of guilt.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 2:35 pm

namaste wrote:
Today i visited a psychiatrist i told him i could be having PTSD because of childhood abuse and neglect
He said not possible because PTSD is caused by sudden trauma like bomb blast or meeting a accident

I'd disagree with that psychiatrist, it can be prolonged abuse psychological or otherwise or a sudden trauma....Bi-polar can be confused with PTSD though and it happens more frequently than it should especially for females from my understanding. I don't see how childhood abuse and neglect wouldn't factor into PTSD.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 2:36 pm

Quote:

OK that makes more sense to me. Isn't it odd how we can be capable of logically refuting such feelings but they never seem to go away because they were learned and internalised so long ago? I've learned to become very good at blanking things like that out but they always come sneaking up on me from behind when I least expect it; can't keep the defences up permanently.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 2:45 pm

invisiblesilent wrote:
Quote:

OK that makes more sense to me. Isn't it odd how we can be capable of logically refuting such feelings but they never seem to go away because they were learned and internalized so long ago? I've learned to become very good at blanking things like that out but they always come sneaking up on me from behind when I least expect it; can't keep the defences up permanently.

Yes, me too. I guess one thing that help is just recognizing the intrusive thoughts for what they are and trying to separate myself from them. It's not a complete solution, but it helps.

As far as being optimistic, I think that comes from my strong believe in impermanence and change. Nothing lasts forever and we have more power to foster change than we give ourselves credit for. It's my strong Taoist streak that allows me to see the positive. Also, I think it's important to enjoy very simple things in life, otherwise we will spend our entire lives chasing after things that make us happy and probably never find them.

Phew
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2013, 8:20 am

i have complex PTSD from severally childhoodabuse and neglect.
So yeah! childhood abuse leads to ptsd!

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2013, 1:33 am

I have PTSD from suffering sexual abuse as a child. I never told anyone about it for nearly ten years, then I had to get it off my chest, otherwise I would have more than likely killed myself, but I knew something as selfish as suicide wouldn't make the pain go away, it would only haunt my next life. It was a very confusing experience since I have close relationship with the person who abused me and I still love them very much, but at the same time I hate them and I wish that he was never born. I have tried to come to terms with what happened to me but it is very difficult even with therapy I still have a hard time understanding. All you can really do is try to make the best of what you have now, and make sure you have a happy ending in mind for an unwritten future ahead of you, and even though what happened to you what happened to anyone with PTSD was a very horrible thing indeed just remember that disaster is often the only way to get through life.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2013, 9:54 pm

namaste wrote:

Any traumatic experience such as war, rape, etc can cause PTSD.

ava777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2013, 5:35 am

catwhisperer wrote:
khaos wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Why should I feel bad about doing what's right for me and about protecting myself (whether its not driving on dangerous snowy roads or prejudging someone I hardly know) whenthere are these people out there who are so incredibly selfish and sick that they intentionally hurt others. So still a lot of guilt but not as much I guess. And of course my depression and anxiety have been off the charts.

I prejudge people and I do so with accurately, but most NT's rebuff me by saying you shouldn't be judgemental. I'm not judging them, I'm judging the likelyhood of them harming me and the possible harm they could do. I will keep that as response. "I deserve to protect myself with discernment."

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 10:33 am

Child abuse can definitely cause PTSD, often does.

However, there's evidence suggesting that many abused children do not meet criteria for PTSD, despite having serious psychological issues. Or meet criteria for PTSD, but the PTSD symptoms are the 'tip of the iceberg' when it comes to their issues. That's why the DSM-V is adding developmental trauma disorder as a diagnosis specifically aimed at children who've experience interpersonal trauma combined with attachment disruption. (Although I suspect their criteria may be too restrictive. Personally, I'd like to see the threshold for diagnosis lowered a bit.)