Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DeeLerious184
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 2:49 pm

I have taken it three or four times, without success. I get so anxious during the behind the wheel test that I make too many mistakes or a " fatal mistake" which is an automatic failure. :evil: :?

Any tips?

Last edited by DeeLerious184 on 27 Feb 2013, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

Yeah, I failed it like 3 times due to anxiety. After taking it that many times, I was less anxious about it, so I finally passed. I guess all I can offer is that maybe you'll finally become less anxious? Do you get lots of practice driving between tests?

DeeLerious184
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 2:59 pm

I do practice, driving pretty well when not taking the BTW test.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

I guess it depends on what exactly is making you anxious. How about if you tell the examiner that you are anxious? Would that help.

DeeLerious184
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 3:09 pm

starkid wrote:
I guess it depends on what exactly is making you anxious. How about if you tell the examiner that you are anxious? Would that help.

The whole thing gets me anxious. I do not know if alerting the examiner to my anxiousness would help.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2013, 8:19 pm

Get a good night's sleep before the test. It's easier to manage anxiety on a good nights sleep. Having said that, it might be difficult to sleep the night before, so make it easy on yourself, either by natural or chemical methods. If you take a sleeping pill, make sure it's worn off before you do the test.

Extra practice and rehearsal in simulated test conditions will help to improve your driving to the point where you can drive well despite your anxiety. Musicans and public speakers practice like hell beforehand because the motor aspects of their performance just come out without even having to think about it. Driving also involves motor skill. Experienced drivers can do it without thinking about it but learner drivers will struggle under pressure.

So yes, more and more practice. If you're anxious you won't be able to 'wing it'.

DeeLerious184
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

Sarah81 wrote:
Get a good night's sleep before the test. It's easier to manage anxiety on a good nights sleep. Having said that, it might be difficult to sleep the night before, so make it easy on yourself, either by natural or chemical methods. If you take a sleeping pill, make sure it's worn off before you do the test.

Extra practice and rehearsal in simulated test conditions will help to improve your driving to the point where you can drive well despite your anxiety. Musicans and public speakers practice like hell beforehand because the motor aspects of their performance just come out without even having to think about it. Driving also involves motor skill. Experienced drivers can do it without thinking about it but learner drivers will struggle under pressure.

So yes, more and more practice. If you're anxious you won't be able to 'wing it'.

thx for the advice.