The Spider-Man newspaper comic strip .

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 7:31 pm

Dos anyone out there follow the newspaper comic strip version of Spider-Man , " THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN " ?????
I am referring to the newspaper comic strip version , not the regular Marvel comic book and book collections , the movies , TV , magna version , whatever...but the comic strip version .
It's rather different from most modern-day Spidey stuff - and kind of weird .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:40 pm

...It is , in a way , like an " alternate " Spider-Man...in that it is kind of like a version of the Spider-Man/Marvel universe of 30-40 years ago ! !! !! !! It is still written by 90-yr. old Stan Lee ( With a script assist , uncerdited , by " Rascally " Ropy Thomas...) .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:16 pm

...Larry Leiber , Stan Lee's brother (who kept the fuller/more Jewish-German form of his name) , who worked at Marvel during the " Marvel Age " plenty but mostly on Westerns and the like , mostly " non-Earth-616 " stuff , has been the artist of the daily strip for twenty-plus years now...Making him the most prolific Spidey comics artist ever ???

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 5:28 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Larry Leiber , Stan Lee's brother (who kept the fuller/more Jewish-German form of his name) , who worked at Marvel during the " Marvel Age " plenty but mostly on Westerns and the like , mostly " non-Earth-616 " stuff , has been the artist of the daily strip for twenty-plus years now...Making him the most prolific Spidey comics artist ever ???

Holy crap! I never knew Larry Leiber was Stan Lee's brother!
And yes, I always knew Stan Lee's real name was Stanly Leiber.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

Notice to friends of “ASS-P”

He is now in jail.

He said he was picked up on Thursday with all his stuff dumped by the cops (or they said they would). He also needs money to be put on his books.
They did not offer him a free phone call, by the way…

He may be in for a week or two, he suggested, because he hopes to get some medical care there---optimistic guy!

He was supposed to go to court Monday or Tuesday morning, I don’t know how that went, and I think his next court date is Friday.

I found a snail-mail address. Please let me know if anyone wants it. I'm sure he would like to hear from people.
Don't bother sending a link, as I doubt that he has access to a computer right now.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

...I'm still following the strip ~ Right now , it's sort of come into the Eighties , with Hobgoblin in it now , who Mary Jane thinks is Harry Osbourne , and a red-headed Black Widow has just (with reference to her Avengers status) come in ! !! !! !! !! !!
I might be going back to jail (with like 45 sleeping/camping warrants against me ~ and possibly a seperate " stronger " court date , relating to violating the stay-away order against me going to the santa Cruz library at present :( ) , so...........

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 2:37 pm

...The Hobgoblin storyline is over , a story involving the Sub-Mariner is starting ~ who , incidentally , is shown in his " disco/singles lounge " outfit of the mid-Seventies in it ! !! !! !! !! :P
Perhaps they'll show him as still in a relationship with Lady Dorma (as they did in an earlier , 90s , appearance in the strip I remember)~ killed off in the comic books in 1971 ! !! !! !! !! !! :o 8O :lol: :wink: :!:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm

...Okay , in honor of Tahitiii's return (and so you can think I'm back in jail) kicking this one back up ~ Presumably because of the now-filming?? Doctor Strange movie , the strip now is running a Strange (In more ways than one ! !! !! !! !! :wink: ) story...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 6:10 pm

...The strip has now started a story involving the old Gi-/Ant-Man villian Egghead , in which he inherits the Daily Bugle , having secretly married JJJ's estranged sister who owned 51% of it and her then having conveniently died ! !! !! !! !!
Methinks that Egghead may have contributed to said demise :mrgreen :wink: : :evil: :twisted: ...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 9:00 pm

...The story is now involving a Stan-And-Roy's-'Verse version of another recent Marvel movie universe star - the Scott Lang Ant-Man , with Henry Pym referred to as the former one .
I though that they were getting Deadpool in it for a moment (Well ` wanted to think so .) , too ! !! !! !! !! !!

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 7:16 pm

[quote="ASS-P"

...The strip has now REALLY taken a headleap into the modern-era Marvel Universe - by having Rocket Raccoon show up (No word about the other GOTG yet .) ! In apparent pursuit of Ronan The Accuser , in case you feel they have gone too far from 1967 :-) !
BTW , the Sunday strip is drawn by Alex Savuik and another real Marvel old-timer , : Jumpin, : Joe Sinnott...

]...The story is now involving a Stan-And-Roy's-'Verse version of another recent Marvel movie universe star - the Scott Lang Ant-Man , with Henry Pym referred to as the former one .
I though that they were getting Deadpool in it for a moment (Well ` wanted to think so .) , too ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ![/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 2:55 am

...The story is now finishing up - with Ronan gettingall Godzilla-esque , stomping downtown Algae uerqe ! :P (WHERE does Stan - Or Lóarry , at his age . - spend the winter ?)
Sort of pleasantly reminiscent of 50s monster movies /that " Marvel Monster Era " immediately pre-FF#1 of Goomgam , Son Of Goom and Fing Fang Room and such 8) . (No anti-Commie propaganda , however :| .)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 9:17 pm

...Larry Leiber has retired from art on the daily strip, with Alex Savuik, who has done the Sunday version for a long time :P :lol: ~ I just didn't mention that ~ taking on the daily, as well. Stan continues with his writing credit.
Did anybody else here read about the legal tornado that revolved around Stan Lee recently, with accusations of elder abuse ~ Of Stan, stealing loads and loads of his money and stuff, and accusations of both " inappropriate sexual behavior " AGAINST Stan and by BY him as well 8O :roll: ? Basically, in the wake of the year-ish back death of Stan
's wife of 67 years, Joan Lee :cry: , some money-hustlers were trying to suck his money away like blood, apparently...LITERALLY taking his blood, for attempted " bit of Stan Lee's blood! " :o " collectibles "mix for printing it! :lol: )...and, of course, directly and indirectly sucking away $ from a 95-year old man, macking him to the street corner and back like his name was Crystal Pearl Shaniqua and the drove a bright pink Caddy with wide lapels! :o
The worst appears to be over, one particular apparent really big crook :( is this situation was issued a stay-away order keeping him from contacting Stan...as well as Stan's daughter, J.C., and Larry.
The present storyline in the strip involves another now-Marvel Media guest star, Iron Fist, meeting Spidey. They fight the Kingpin...and the long time pseudo-Fu Manchu Marvel villain who used to be called The Yellow Claw, it's ewither just " Claw " or something similar now, I am pounding this out here and not taking time to go look, while I have some rare time on a better computer.
Based on the first couple of days of Alex's dailies (as seen in color on the Web)...they are continuing a peculiar tradition of the Spidey strip...giving supporting characters different appearances in the dailies and Sundays, as if the colorists of each don't talk to each other :lol: :x :oops: ! !! !! !! !! !! Iron Fist switches between red-bearded and blonde :twisted:...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 7:28 pm

...OK, Stan's demise :( gives me YET ANOTHER excuse to book this one back up :lol: !
I would presume that Marvel and King Features Syndicate (who distribute the comic strip) would keep it going, as long as it can turn a profit ~ And, both keep Spidey's name out there AS WELL AS the frequent guest-starrings by on-Spidey World Marvel characters - especially ones with a TV or show or movie out, natch :wink: ! !! !! !! !! !!
One professional cartoonist's web page I saw straightforwardly referred to Roy Thomas as the " ghostwriter " on the Spidey strip. Bluntly, as Stan grew older...and, as I saw stated by Stan himself in an article published before his death (When the thing of those pimps/human lamphreys going after Stan's $ happened my phone's " You have shown interest..." function threw up umpteen articles about Stan, including IIRC ones preceding the pimps problem ~ Thankfully, resolved before his death ~ so I read a lot of Stan Lee articles :D !), age-related macular degradion(Sp??) rendered Stan too visually impaired to read either prose or comics :( - I imagine Roy's role might have increased.
The story I referenced above renamed The Yellow Claw to be The Golden Claw 8O :mrgreen: . Bill, perhaps you could relate to this? Frankly, Roy Thomas has a reputation for, as a comics writer, referring to old stories and calling on continuity. The story that had just started appearing before the announcement of Stan's death involves Luke Cage being hired by JJJ to get Spider-Man (The umpteenth " JJJ REALLY TRIES to get Spidey " :P story). Luke Cage is shown in his modern Marvel continuity appearance, but I saw the suggestion made that this seems rather a rehash of a story from THE AMAZING SPIDER_MAN #123, back in 1973! :o :| Certainly, it's a similar concept, the earlier story was by Gerry Conway.
So, obviously, right now...will Marvel elevate Roy Thomas to official scripter on the strip? Certainly he has a name ~ Perhaps more recognized by newspaper feature editors and readers who used to be comics fans than today's younger fans :roll: :| .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:09 pm

...In a HOLLYWOOD REPORTER article by Roy about the very last meeting he had with Stan. only a few days before his death - Roy stated in fact that, in fact, over the last couple of years or so of the AS-M newspaper strip, Stan had ceased all connection with it and Roy had become the writer 100%. Obviously, he was allowed to publicly say this after Stan had passed on :| .
However, what happened to the strip after some weeks had passed and the material obviously prepared before Stan"'s death was used up - was that the strip, after more than 40 years, ceased putting out new strips, going to reruns. Quite recent reruns too, d 5rawing from this decade. Marvel especially, perhaps Konh also, obviously wanted a new approach.
It has been indicated/suggested that a new version of the strip might start being produced after a while, with new creators, and a different approach - perhaps a MCU-reflecting strip with the AVENGERS working with Spidey - a younger, single, one, dropping the idea introduced in the 80d of an adult Peter/Spidey married to Mary Jane Watson, who knows his identity. which the main comic books long ago disposed of. I've stopped reading the strip on the King Features web site since it switched to reruns.