Is it possible to have aspergers and NOT be monotone:?

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 8:23 am

Renatus wrote:
It's kind of like how some very sheltered people they say things such as "all asian people look alike".

But they all DO look alike!

(Written by an Asian with mild prosopagnosia)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 8:44 am

While being monotone is a common symptom of AS, you don't need to have this trait to have AS. I know quite a few people on the spectrum, and i'dsay half are monotone and half aren't.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
You don't have to have every single little symptom to have AS.

this

LongWaysAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2013, 7:58 am

I used to speak in monotone but it's gotten better over the years. I think I still sound a little weird, though.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 9:00 am

Aren't there NTs who speak monotone?

Foxhund
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2013, 12:38 am

unsortable wrote:
I do not speak in a monotone, and I do not remember if I ever did. No one told me I did, anyway. They complained about my mumbling a lot, however, and I guess mumbling often sounds monotonous. The thing is, I have very sensitive hearing, so I can hear myself just fine - but no one else can, apparently. So I have learned to talk louder and clearer because I got tired of people telling me to 'speak up' all the time (taking acting classes helped with that). The downside of this is that on my more sensitive days I sound to myself like I'm half shouting and my ears quickly get overloaded by my own voice, but at least I can make myself understood. So yes, it is definitely possible to learn to speak like a 'normal' person.

Incidentally, I recently watched this video on youtube, where this subject came up (among other things).

This is a very interesting note you've made that I had never considered. I have been told that I speak in a monotone and noticed it when hearing a recording of my voice or seeing a video of myself. When I hear my own voice when speaking though, it has plenty of inflection and intonation. I also think I may have very sensitive hearing and it could explain my monotone speech as a dimmed down version of normal speech which would sound comical or artificial to highly sensitive ears. I'm glad you pointed that out.

A few times, I've purposely spoken in a ridiculous exaggerated way to "prove" I can speak "normally" and to me it sounds like a William Shatner poetry reading but then I'm told that I finally sound normal.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:16 am

Monotone or sing-song is how it goes in the literature.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:12 am

Not only do you not need every single symptom, that particular symptom is present only in a minority of aspies whom I have met.

aspigirlus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2013, 2:40 am

I am not monotonal, but I am a 55 year old woman who sounds (I am told) as if I am about 15. Shame the body doesn't follow the voice lol

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:26 am

No monotone here

I actually speak too quietly I think, and I mumble a bit. I get asked to speak up and on the phone I am terrible, I am almost at a whisper at times. Partly this is to do with not wanting attention from anyone else around me as I only want the person I am talking to to hear me, and partly I find talking loudly hurts my head. have sensory issues with sound, like quiet things, get mixed up on conversations etc

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
it is SOOOOO easy to talk way too loudly, librarians hated me for this reason. :oops: the loudness would sneak up on me when i wasn't looking.

Me too and now I'm going for a certificate to be a library technician......uh-oh.......

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Aren't there NTs who speak monotone?

Not really.

Some NTs have relatively little inflection, but they still use changes in tone at crucial times to signify important meaning. If I met someone who didn't do that, I'd be wondering if they were on the spectrum or at least BAP. Or had some other condition, such as an auditory processing issue.

In most languages, tone of voice conveys part of the meaning of the statement. For example in English tone is used as a question marker. If you didn't have at least enough variation in tone for that, it would impede your ability to communicate effectively.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

I never spoke in a monotone, so I got diagnosed later in childhood because of that. My mom said it would have gone completely over her head had my teacher not pointed out my Aspie traits to her.

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

I have been told throughout the years that I: (a) am monotone, (b) sound like a robot, and (c) talk too quietly.

All three are true.

[This is my first post here after a long while of lurking. I am undiagnosed and so I don't want to say anything which I may in the end not have any right to say, but this is a straightforward empirical question so I feel safe in responding.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

When I was younger I spoke in a monotone. Then, when learning how to give oral reports, I learned I was flat, so I started varying my pitch and paying attention to cadence. Since music is my intense interest (I play/compose music in my head) I quickly became expert at this. I did radio in college with a show that had 25K listeners. Now I preach every day and I'm excellent at it.

ONLY RECENTLY have I learned that my facial expressions are weird and that I move weird. So now I am going to try to learn how to adjust that. Much harder, however, since as an Aspie I am unaware of body position. But I practice in front of mirrors now. This will be harder but I am a determined soul.

We Aspies are AMAZING ACTORS! We HAVE TO BE! IT'S SURVIVAL!

So I know that if I can do it (I'm a 44 out of 50 on the ASQuot Test, 170 out of 200 on the RDOS test) then ALL OF YOU CAN!

ASPIES OF THE WORLD UNITE! LOL!

Peace.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

Yup, I'm an example.