Bought noise cancelling headphones - best thing I ever did

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 10:40 am

In addition to picking up ambient noise, you could rewire the cancellation circuitry to also accept other audio inputs, such as that from a remote microphone that is close to the music source.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 3:02 pm

Where can you get them? Do you have to buy them online? I thought at first they were just like those headphones that people wear when working around loud machines but are still able to hear people talk. My mom gave me a pair, but I only wear them inside because they're so conspicuous, and only occasionally because they hurt and get uncomfortable.

I need something that cancels the noise of speeding cars and motorcycles outside my bedroom windows at night. Even with the windows all shut I've often been jolted out of sleep, with my heart pounding, and I just know I'll have a heart attack one of these days because of those idiots. :x I tried earplugs or cotton in my ears, but then they hurt. It can't be good for my ears to leave them in all night long. :(

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:42 pm

The Bose products are expensive.

But, you might try this
http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Premi ... phones#Ask
$25 bucks with good reviews

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2015, 11:40 pm

Can anyone recommend cheap(ish) noise cancelling earbuds (not headphones) that they have tried out for themselves?

I know that I'll get what I pay for, but I'd rather not spend more than $100. I saw BTDT's suggestion, but I'd honestly rather spend more than that for more quality. So I guess maybe $40-$100...

Thanks so much.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:34 am

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 wrote:
jk1 wrote:
How do those noise canceling headphones work?
they come in two types, "active" and "passive". passive is just like using earplugs, whereas "active" noise canceling headphones actually have microphones which pick up incoming sounds and then play the inverse waveform. if the hum of a fan is a "2" then the headphones' mic picks it up, then plays "-2" so you end up hearing nothing at all. I expect this is why the OP mentions that constant noises are more completely blocked out than are things like human speech. fans and engines and so on are engaging in very repetitive motion which has a more predictable frequency. so the fan is just putting out "2", "2", "2", "2", etc, whereas human speech is more like "2", "5", "8", "3", and so on in much more complex patterns, so a lot of that reaches your ears before the headphones can adjust to the change in sound.

would this product be improved by faster processing speeds?
and be able to react and produce the inverse waveform more rapidly?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:25 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I need something that cancels the noise of speeding cars and motorcycles outside my bedroom windows at night.

I would suggest a "White Noise" machine----you know, those things that play the sound of waves, or birds, or whatever. Also, instead of buying a specific machine, you could use something else----like, I have a DVD that, when it has ended, it will automatically start over, again; I just play that every night, and sleep like a baby. Not ALL DVDs do this, apparently----I only have one, that I know-of----BUT, sometimes you can program a DVD, through your remote control..... On mine, I think it's the "repeat" button----then a choice appears on the screen, and you just cycle-through, until it says "Title", and hit "Okay", or whatever.

I haven't had the same luck with playing music, to fall / stay asleep----I dunno, maybe it's the movement that puts me to sleep, because more senses are involved, or something.....

r84shi37 wrote:
Can anyone recommend cheap(ish) noise cancelling earbuds (not headphones) that they have tried out for themselves?

Well, they're not earbuds, but rather, earplugs..... They're squooshy (some kind of foam rubber, I guess), and what you do is pinch them together, and then stick it in your ear (I put-on plastic gloves, or at least, wash my hands, so that I don't get germs in my ears); when they're in your ear, they expand back to their normal size----it's AMAZING, how they work, IMO, cuz they're so simple!

If you have sensitivity issues, they might bother you a little bit, initially----it's like when your ears get stopped-up, when you first go-up in a plane----or, like, when you put cotton in your ears----but, then the sensation of being glad at how much noise they cut-out (they're not 100 percent, of course----I don't think anything IS), outweighs the funky feeling, usually.

Here they are, on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-Earplugs-20-Pair/dp/B001EPQ3H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435165691&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+earplugs

Also, you can wear one pair, more than once----ESPECIALLY, if your ears are super clean, each time----like, when you've just taken a shower, recently, and dried-out your ears..... If you're not one that takes a shower, often----or, you're not where you can take a shower, first----you can use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean them, real good (that's what *I* do), or Witch Hazel, using a Q-tip (BOTH come in towelettes, I think).

nearmint
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

I know this is an old thread. I just want to make sure anyone who reads this is as informed as they can be. Personally, white noise also irritates me. Bose for example uses white noise or something like that to block out other noise and that irritates me, too. And studies have shown that exposure to long term white noise can impair your hearing. I'm also sensitive to anything that goes into my ears, so IEM's are just no option. I opted for noise ISOLATING headphones. Do your research. For me it had to be the best i could get.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 12:41 pm

I love my noise cancelling headphones, they aren't Bose ones, but they are still great. Only thing I dislike is that my sister likes to sneak up behind me when I'm wearing them and startle me! Lol :lol:

zzzsmokeyzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

I have a pair I use when I need even 5 mins of quiet sometimes.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 4:30 pm

nearmint wrote:
I know this is an old thread. I just want to make sure anyone who reads this is as informed as they can be. Personally, white noise also irritates me. Bose for example uses white noise or something like that to block out other noise and that irritates me, too. And studies have shown that exposure to long term white noise can impair your hearing. I'm also sensitive to anything that goes into my ears, so IEM's are just no option. I opted for noise ISOLATING headphones. Do your research. For me it had to be the best i could get.

noise isolating headphones are also cheaper. think like hearing protection headsets that people working with loud machinery and shooting would wear. they make ones that can play audio too! noise isolation is good for loud sounds and people yelling whereas noise cancellation is good for ambient hubbub type noise. some people are more sensitive to one type or the other, and i'm more sensitive to loud noises. however, i like having both options for different situations because i'm sensitive to noise in general.

active noise cancellation headphones put out their own sound waves 180 degrees out of phase with the incoming waves and thus cancel each other out. passive noise isolation headphones just absorb incoming sound waves. that's basically the difference, and, why active noise cancelling headphones are so pricey.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:06 pm

I might look into it, I have earplugs, but they didn't work, it clogged up one of my ears.

ratchmbr
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2017, 10:05 pm

where did you find them? I currently live in the basement, and my parents don’t understand about how loud they really are. Someone suggested noise cancelling headphones and directed me to the website for info.Thanks!

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 8:18 am

I have noise cancelling headphones to help me cope with a loud office, but when I wear them with NC on, in addition to a noticible hiss, I also feel a kind of weird pressure while it’s no. As a result, I often wear them turned off, since they still provide some passive sound reduction.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:30 pm

IMHO the Bose NC cans are not a great deal better than competing models [I have both the Bose units as well as a handful of others. in fact, their tone quality [reproducing music] is somewhat worse than the Sennheiser NC units I also have.